By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo gve up the Mario Maker serie and start doing again New 2D Mario ?

A lot of people on this forum expected Super Mario Maker 2 to be a great home run success and a lot expected the title to easily pass the 10 million mark. This isn't the case. The game has not reached the 6 millions copies sold and is showing zero leg.

The port of New Super Mario Bros U is at 8.3 millions and is going to pass 10 millions ultimately, this is the game that people who want 2D Mario are picking right now. Super Mario Maker 2 is turning potential Mario gamers away and people are buying a 8 years old game rather than the game released last year.

Most people want nothing to do with a level editor and most people would rather play levels made by professional level designers than search among thousands of amateur designed levels.

I think the Switch is such a success that Nintendo could launch a real proper 2D Mario and turn it into a 20 millions+ seller like the Wii version was.

Around the Network

I predict the next 2-D mario game to have a very unique art style, like Kotabe, per articles dating back to 2014-2017 such as:https://nintendoeverything.com/miyamoto-on-creating-new-styles-of-2d-mario-art-interest-in-having-classic-games-on-switch/

hopefully they do both, cause normal 2d mario makes the most money but mario maker is actually fun

Ya i'm one of those people that dont care for Mario Maker and just want more proper 2D Mario games made by Nintendo.

Dulfite said:
I predict the next 2-D mario game to have a very unique art style, like Kotabe, per articles dating back to 2014-2017 such as:https://nintendoeverything.com/miyamoto-on-creating-new-styles-of-2d-mario-art-interest-in-having-classic-games-on-switch/

A full fledged AAA new 2d Mario. I'm dreaming about this for 4 years 

Around the Network

A new DK returns(DKR3)

A new good Sonic AAA ( Sonic CD2?)

And a new AAA Mario Bros. (4 or World 3, whatever )

I'm in, full force

People like 2D Mario because it's simple and straightforward (And because many gamers are too lazy to find any other platformer, even though there are a hundred of good 2D platformers not only AAA, but also indies, but let's not start this)

Mario Maker is just not the same. It's a game for people who enjoy experimenting and challenge. It's a game without a clear goal, you can do whatever you want. This is exactly the opposite of 2D Mario and will never enjoy the same widespread appeal of an standard Super Mario.

IcaroRibeiro said:
People like 2D Mario because it's simple and straightforward (And because many gamers are too lazy to find any other platformer, even though there are a hundred of good 2D platformers not only AAA, but also indies, but let's not start this)Mario Maker is just not the same. It's a game for people who enjoy experimenting and challenge. It's a game without a clear goal, you can do whatever you want. This is exactly the opposite of 2D Mario and will never enjoy the same widespread appeal of an standard Super Mario.

Disagree

Mario 2d game is not straightforward that way. Have many branches and options. A good 2d Mario game have high rate o replayability 

Agente42 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
People like 2D Mario because it's simple and straightforward (And because many gamers are too lazy to find any other platformer, even though there are a hundred of good 2D platformers not only AAA, but also indies, but let's not start this)Mario Maker is just not the same. It's a game for people who enjoy experimenting and challenge. It's a game without a clear goal, you can do whatever you want. This is exactly the opposite of 2D Mario and will never enjoy the same widespread appeal of an standard Super Mario.

Disagree

Mario 2d game is not straightforward that way. Have many branches and options. A good 2d Mario game have high rate o replayability 

They are very straightforward for me

Either way, Mario Maker don't have any clear objective, there is no endgame, no journey, no goal. They aren't the same 

The title makes it sounds like they can't do both and that's just not the case. The Wii U had both, the Switch will (almost certainly) have both and I bet Nintendo's next console will have both as well.

Regular 2D Mario has proven too profitable for Nintendo to stop making them, and Mario Maker also has its fanbase and is quite succesful in its own right, not every game has to surpass 10 mil. They elected to go for Mario Maker first with the Switch, but that was only a little over 2 years into the Switch's lifespan, there's plenty of time for a regular 2D Mario, even if theoretically was the same team working on it.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat