By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Nintendo Still Hardcore-Friendly

Words Of Wisdom said:

Super Mario Galaxy was easy because we've already played 64 and the controls minus the waggle/IR pointer are pretty much identical. It's like playing the first .hack game. At first you may have some trouble figuring out what does what but after that first initial learning curve you can easily go out and play most of them without a hitch.

As for SSBB... most of the time? Is that why you're always losing.

I disagree. Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine made it so you had solve problems and figure things. That is why 64 was so innovative and revolutionary at the time. That type of gameplay wasn't seen in platformers before 64 did it.

As for Smash: I lose to you because you're too damn good. :)

I was talking about random matches anyways.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:
This guy is full of shit, and it pisses me off that he always lies about this. He keeps on saying this, but then Nintendo never produces. Super Mario Galaxy was so linear and easy compared to past 3d Mario game's. The controls and level design was way too simple and primitive. What happen to us having to actually use our brains in Mario games? The game never put us in a position where we had to figure any thing out.

They could have put some effort into Smash Brothers' online as well. Most of the time the game is unplayable in random matches, due to lag and just not working at all sometimes. I don't see how any of this is hardcore friendly. Core gamers want and respect quality gameplay. That's all it takes to please true core gamers.

r u kidding me? I think ur just expecting too much. And ur opinion on SMG is ur opinion but apparently, game critics and millions of people around the world would disagree with you there

Rock_on_2008 said:
Bruno Muñoz B said:
I agree with Miyamoto, Nintendo doesn't forget hardcore gamers, take a look at this list.

Nintendo Wii games.

- Super Mario Galaxy.
- Metroid Prime 3.
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
- Mario Kart Wii.
- Battalion Wars 2.
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.
- Excite Truck.
- Mario Strikers: Charged Football.
- Super Paper Mario.
- Super Smash Bros Brawl.
- Wii Sports.
- Wii Play.
- Wii Fit.
- Mario Party 8.
- Big Brain Academy.
- Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

No way man those games are all attractive to casual gamers too. That is why Wii sells well it appeals to the majority of people- soccer moms, kids, elderly, teenagers, females, males, etc. Wii sells mainly due to its price advantage and its easy motion control.

Yes. The keyword is what i bolded. It appeals all you mentioned as well as the core audience, which is the whole point, just like Iwata said, that in order to succeed with Wii (as in context to what Iwata said that Wii will beat PS2 in sales), that it needs to appeal to all demographics - the "hardcore" as well as "casuals", lapsed gamers and the previous non-gamers. And by looking Nintendos game releases, they pretty much cater for all the groups. Besides, 360 has the price advantage, 199 vs. 249. So, let's talk about selling because of price advantage when 360 outsells Wii 2:1 on regular basis.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Riot Of The Blood said:
This guy is full of shit, and it pisses me off that he always lies about this. He keeps on saying this, but then Nintendo never produces. Super Mario Galaxy was so linear and easy compared to past 3d Mario game's. The controls and level design was way too simple and primitive. What happen to us having to actually use our brains in Mario games? The game never put us in a position where we had to figure any thing out.

They could have put some effort into Smash Brothers' online as well. Most of the time the game is unplayable in random matches, due to lag and just not working at all sometimes. I don't see how any of this is hardcore friendly. Core gamers want and respect quality gameplay. That's all it takes to please true core gamers.

Come on now.  SMG has 240 stars.  It is a long ass game.  Let's get real.  The whole 2nd half was certainly not added for casuals.

SSBB has so much to do and so many options, offline play is clearly a hardcore gamer's wet dream.

What about MP3?  The 1st big game Nintendo released was Zelda, clearly not a casual game.  Look at Wii Fit, it does exactly what Miyamoto says.  It expands the market and lots of people will buy it.  Now we already have other games using it to give gamers amazing controls.  You are just being silly. 

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

the Wii is also for core-gamers yes,
for Nintendo-core-gamers that is

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

^ Cause very few third party developers are willing to take risk. well for now.

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

the situation has been this the last ten years,

if you missed a Nintendo console, the 64 or the GC,
then you've missed many great games, some even among the best of all time,
GoldenEye, the Mario Karts, Metroid Primes, the Zelda's, Super Mario and some others like SS Bros, with GoldenEye being my second favorite game of all time

if you've missed the PlayStations, then you have really missed a lot,
in many genres, many 'proven' series, and also some of the greatest of all time,
Metal Gear Solids, Resident Evils (1,2,3), Ace Combats, Final Fantasy's, GTA's, Gran Turismo's, Tekkens, Pro Evo's, many great RPGs like Xenogears, Suikodens, Lunars, FF Tactics, Dragon Quests and of course the legendary Final Fantasy VII, and Street Fighter (the 64 and GC never had any Street Fighter to play, nor Alpha, nor III.. 0_o)

and, of course, our fallen hero, the great Dreamcast.. 

so
the question was,
what do you like? and do you wanna have it all?

''Hadouken!''

Riot Of The Blood said:

Mario Galaxy was supposed to be linear like the old school Marios. A majority of Mario games have been like that, with the exception of 64 and Sunshine. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not for the hardcore. Quit confusing your opinion with fact.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Bruno Muñoz B said:
I agree with Miyamoto, Nintendo doesn't forget hardcore gamers, take a look at this list.

Nintendo Wii games.

- Super Mario Galaxy.
- Metroid Prime 3.
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
- Mario Kart Wii.
- Battalion Wars 2.
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.
- Excite Truck.
- Mario Strikers: Charged Football.
- Super Paper Mario.
- Super Smash Bros Brawl.
- Wii Sports.
- Wii Play.
- Wii Fit.
- Mario Party 8.
- Big Brain Academy.
- Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

No way man those games are all attractive to casual gamers too. That is why Wii sells well it appeals to the majority of people- soccer moms, kids, elderly, teenagers, females, males, etc. Wii sells mainly due to its price advantage and its easy motion control.

This just in: GTA4 doesn't matter anymore because it appeals to both hardcore and casual users. Oh wait, my sources tell me that many many many high selling games cater to casuals users, which explains their high sales. Conclusion: Gaming industry has been casual since at least the release of the original PlayStation, since Sony's strategy was to reach those who normally wouldn't consider playing video games, especially in Europe. Conclusion based on the previous conclusion: Sony has abandoned the hardcorez. Oh noezz!!!11!

Also, Ajax, last time I checked (which was today actually), Sony's consoles won the last 2 generations, which is why most of greatest games were on those consoles. Going back to the generations before that, not having a Nintendo console probably would have resulted in you not being able to play the biggest, greatest games available at that time. It's all a matter of preference really, but to "have it all" or would have to own all consoles each generation, because each console is going to have at least a few good games. 

Phendrana
so SMG is linear like the NES and SNES Super Mario's you say
unlike SM64 and Sunshine..

and you say

''Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not for the hardcore.''

so you're saying that the hardcore (the hardcore Super Mario gamers?),
rather have a linear Super Mario than a more challenging and non-lineair Super Mario?

yea right,
I don't think so

''Hadouken!''