By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - God of War (PS4) nearing 20M sold, franchise cross 50M.

Tagged games:

I really hope that Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 hit the 20 million mark as well, in future. Absolutely deserved. God of War rocks.

By the way, News: Absolutely Every PS5 is Sold, Says PlayStation CEO

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243846/absolutely-every-playstation-5-is-sold-says-playstation-ceo/

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 20 November 2020

Around the Network

I like it when things I like do well, because it incentivizes those in power to make more of the thing I like. I am glad stuff like Spider-Man and God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are doing well and their sequels will function as tentpoles for the next generation's first year.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
I like it when things I like do well, because it incentivizes those in power to make more of the thing I like. I am glad stuff like Spider-Man and God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are doing well and their sequels will function as tentpoles for the next generation's first year.

Now imagine if Single Player games weren't dead.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

Or that all the PS exclusives weren't identical...what with them all being third person action-adventure story-driven singleplayer games. I mean, clearly these are all the same,so it's only a matter of time before Sony's methods backfire. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

Or that all the PS exclusives weren't identical...what with them all being third person action-adventure story-driven singleplayer games. I mean, clearly these are all the same,so it's only a matter of time before Sony's methods backfire. 

No one want these sad dad games, we need mp shooters because they are completely different from one another.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

I love when people say third person action adventure like its some small set of games. Most games are third person, and most third person games are action adventures lmao

src said:
I love when people say third person action adventure like its some small set of games. Most games are third person, and most third person games are action adventures lmao

Well, you have to accept that Spider-Man, God of War, The Last of Us and Ghost of Tshushima all play exactly equal, chuckles.

src said:

That's the joke, yes. some people on this forum - usually ones with Master Chief avatars - like to poke fun and say all sony's exclusives are 'third-person, singleplayer, action-adventure, story-driven games', as if that made them all sound the same. Usually right around the same time I point out that Halo and Gears of War have more in common with one another than God of War and Ratchet and clank have with one another in terms of genre, tone, gameplay, and style. 

It's a hilariously reductive argument that really has no place in this discussion...yet despite how absurdly stupid it is, some people still use it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

src said:

Sony is not at Nintendo's level but is nearing it.

1.  40M+:
    1. AC, MK (2)
  2.  30M+: 
    1. SSB (1)
  3.  20M+:
    1. Zelda, Pokemon, Mario 3D (3)
    2. TLOU, UC, SM, GOW (4)
  4. 10-15M:
    1. Splatoon, Mario Party, Pokemon spin off, 2D Mario (3)
    2. Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R (3)
  5. 5-10M:
    1. LM3, MM, Ringfit, Zelda spin off  (4)
    2. Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ratchet and Clank, Demons Souls (4) 

Now total 1st party software sales, Nintendo is still notably ahead, but my point was that Sony has almost equal 1st party IP strength while having every third party competing in their ecosystem. Hence why this is unprecedented since the SNES/NES days. To out it into perspective, PS4 is approaching 1.5 billion total games sold. SW is at 450 million.

The part that seems to go over Sony fans head is that, Sony can be celebrated without involving Nintendo. Sony has improved greatly but they are simply not in Nintendo's neighborhood or even nearing them. The nearing part is just false, Sony has improved but so has Nintendo. The word nearing is relative, it sounds as if Sony is closing the gap. Its not closing at all, both are just moving up. The comparison between Switch's first party software sells vs PS4's first party software sells is a complete beatdown. PS4 is a dying console, those games are definitely nearing their lifetime totals. Switch is a console about to enter its peak quarter lol, possibly the highest of all time. Sony's first party isn't even confirmed on top of that lol. Your comparison above is clearly just to align them as best as possible. Its not even remotely this close. Nintendo produces more games and has significantly higher selling titles. That why Nintendo sells more total games then Sony can dream of.  

I'm going to fix your little chart above. Ill do a quick summary here for you. Not having a 40m+ category is nonsense, both MK and AC will surpass that. Since we are labeling TLOU a 20m seller based on adding its re-release why shouldn't I do the same with MK8 and MK8 Deluxe? MK is already at 37 million. AC may hit 30 million before it turns 1! 10 million for the remainder of its life is easy lol. SSB has already hit 21 million with no price cuts and more characters to come before the Switch has its largest quarter. It definitely is on its way to 30 million lol. I repeat Switch isn't at the end of its life like PS4, there is no reason to believe these Switch games have already reached their lifetime totals. Point is nearly all of those games for Nintendo could probably be moved up a level. Ill just make my adjustments (bolded) to your comparison. 

P.S. MK8 in total may even hit 50 million! Let that sink in for a second. 

20 million copies?? I could be wrong but these numbers do not add up. As of May 2019 it was reported that GoW had sold 10 million copies. From June 2019 up until now GoW has appeared on the NPD top 20 list only once, in June 2019 (20th place). It’s hard to believe that the game has sold 10 million copies since then. Unless Sony has been giving it away for free.