By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 1 to 7 - Week Before Xbox Series X and S, and PS5 Launch

1.4m opening for XSX/XSS.

Around the Network

Sorry, what day will we have global sales with the figures for PS5 and Xbox Series X / S?

PS4 good enough, so NS>4xPS4 is really awesome

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Posting here as there is no general sales discussion thread (or dedicated NPD thread).

Since NPD rankings are retail revenue, I think it's going to be quite an interesting and historic month.

Here's a scenario where NSW sells 2M, and PS5/XBS both sell 1.5M each, yet NSW comes last in NPD $$ rankings.  I broke down the Lite/OG, Dig/Reg, X/S splits as well.

I'm sure NPD will specify that NSW led in units, but still worth noting.

Obviously, too many variables to truly know at this point in time.  Maybe NSW sells 2.5M with a lower Lite split and this doesn't even matter.  Maybe stock isn't there for the new consoles to hit 1.5M.  Either way, it'll be a tough road for NSW to win this in terms of NPD $$ rankings.

Guesses on Series X / Series S split?  I am guessing that upfront Microsoft would have wanted to prioritize moving the premium model during the holidays, but the Series S is definitely easier to supply.  I used a 60/40 split in my example above.

For PS5, I'm just rolling with Zhuge's 75/25 report/estimate.

Here's a scenario that continues to show NSW's struggle to make the top spot for spend.  I bumped down PS5/XBS down to 1.25M each and bumped the Lite down to 20% and the PS5 still comes out ahead.

--

Due to pricing, there are reasonable scenarios where the order by units is NSW > XBS > PS5, but $ ranking is PS5 > XBS > NSW (example below).

Have we ever had a situation like that before?

No chance of getting PS4/XBO/NSW numbers while we wait for better data/updates on PS5/XBS?

Around the Network
theDX said:

Wow new gen FLOPPED

I told everyone that the PS5 and Xbox SX were overhyped machines and would flop since everyone is now flocking towards the Switch to the point where not even 1 person wanted to get a PS5 or Xbox SX. These two systems flopped harder than the Atari Jaguar in it's final year...

theDX said:

Wow new gen FLOPPED

Plot twist: the new graph doesn't show the sales numbers, but the amount of consoles that are stockpiled on stores at the moment.

I'm mostly a lurker now.