By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 to PS5 transition will take 3 years, more cross-gen games coming from Sony

PotentHerbs said:
chakkra said:

So does that mean we can stop worrying about the Series S for now?

Even if every title from SIE are cross gen for the next couple of years, the Series S will be here for the whole generation. 

Okay, so for the next 3 years all third party titles will be held back by the PS4, and for the rest of the time by the Series S. Damn.. this is going to be a really held back generation.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
chakkra said:

Even if every title from SIE are cross gen for the next couple of years, the Series S will be here for the whole generation. 

Well going by recent history, the Xbox X was not hindered by the original Xbox One. Games like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 ran on both and the weaker console didn't hinder the superior Xbox X port. Merely a combination of FPS and resolution cut. So really, the people who buy the S either don't care or not savy enough to notice. 

Far different then say a next gen console being hindered by the last gen. And yes, i'm well aware Xbox has its own examples like Halo Infinite. But any arguments against S is FUD territory, again by judging the Xbox One and Xbox X.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
PotentHerbs said:
chakkra said:

Well going by recent history, the Xbox X was not hindered by the original Xbox One. Games like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 ran on both and the weaker console didn't hinder the superior Xbox X port. Merely a combination of FPS and resolution cut. So really, the people who buy the S either don't care or not savy enough to notice. 

Far different then say a next gen console being hindered by the last gen. And yes, i'm well aware Xbox has its own examples like Halo Infinite. But any arguments against S is FUD territory, again by judging the Xbox One and Xbox X.

Well, I don't think the Series S will hold anything back, but its still a bigger factor when it comes to the potential of holding back next gen, compared to the PS4 for a few reasons: 

1. SIE releasing PS4/PS5 titles doesn't impact the Xbox Series consoles

2. Multiplatform games that target the PS4 will also target the Xbox One

3. The Series S is the lowest common denominator for next generation gaming

chakkra said:
PotentHerbs said:
chakkra said:

Okay, so for the next 3 years all third party titles will be held back by the PS4, and for the rest of the time by the Series S. Damn.. this is going to be a really held back generation.

Why would third parties be held back by the PS4 if the Xbox One is available?

shikamaru317 said:
Dulfite said:
shikamaru317 said:

I just hope that your average grunt developers will actually see a pay raise thanks to the increase to $70/80 euros. Sadly, I suspect that the extra money will all go to line the already fat wallets of the executives, bastards like Bobby Kotick over at Activision, who gets paid 319x more than the average Activision game developer gets paid. AAA game development seems like one of the lowest paid fields that typically requires 4 years of college, only a handful of other college degree requiring professions like teachers seem to get paid less than AAA game developers. Add on to that crunch as well, which in some cases is non-paid overtime, and I can't help but feel bad for AAA developers.  

I don't think I'd go that far for annual salary. Per hour? Yeah I could see that. But that's because of crunch time.

I heard once from a guy in carpentry (like 30 years of experience) that he researched it and learned around 97% of college graduates make less than people in trade skill jobs (welders, boilermakers, carpenters, etc.).

A ton of professions that require college degrees make less than developers. Marketing, business, communications majors probably on average make considerably less than developers. Teachers do get shafted though, I know because I was one for 4 years. Now everytime I look at teaching openings I look at the pay and it makes me run far away (and I worked for one of the best paying school districts in my states before I quit and it still pays nothing compared to what I will be making in a few years with my new career). As much as I have a passion for teaching, I have a greater passion for providing for my family and getting into a situation where my wife doesn't have to work as much.

If you look at in terms of salary, the pay seems fine on paper. 60-90k a year doesn't seem too bad compared to most college degree jobs. Problem is that most AAA game studios are located near big cities where the cost of living is very high. A teacher making 35k a year where I live is actually earning more than a game developer who is making 70k a year in Los Angeles. Housing alone costs nearly 4x as much in L.A. than it does in my area, gas costs 50% more, groceries 50% more, healthcare costs more, California has more than 4% higher state income tax than my state. And though LA is probably a worst case scenario in terms of cost of living, alot of the other AAA studios are also in cities where the cost of living is still very high. 

Don't get my wrong, I agree that teachers are grossly underpaid considering how important of a job teaching is, but a teacher can technically make more in certain low cost of living areas than a game developer in a high cost of living city. 

Cost of living is for sure a factor. But there are TONS of developer jobs outside of gaming, and companies scattered all throughout the country need developers. They are projected like an 18% rise in demand for developers over the next 5-10 years. Not to mention, roughly 12% of Americans have moved, are moving, or are planning to move to smaller towns and smaller states to have lower cost of living due to Covid making companies make many positions permanently remote. That shows more companies are getting behind the idea of permanent remote work, which means the cost of living won't be an issue soon. In a few years, it will be far easier to make good money while avoiding major cities like SF, LA, or Atlanta.

Regarding teachers, by the way, they pay a LOT more of their salary to retirement (we paid 14.5%), so in the short term that 35k is even less. Also, insurance for teachers is terrible. I live in Missouri. My insurance, to pay for an entire family plan, would have been like $1400 a month. My current job for a sales company is far better insurance and I only pay like $650 a month. Teachers are screwed in many different ways, not just annual salary.

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
Sony already set the seed that PS5 believe in generation and all game will focus on PS5. Now they can backtrack and quietly support the PS4, without really changing the mind set of gamers.

When did they say that all games will focus on PS5?

Hynad said:
yvanjean said:
Sony already set the seed that PS5 believe in generation and all game will focus on PS5. Now they can backtrack and quietly support the PS4, without really changing the mind set of gamers.

They didn’t. The “we believe in generations” positioned them as the stark alternative to MS pledging to support Xbox One for 1-2 years. 

But they sure as hell implied it, let everyone think it, didn’t clarify right away, and only roll it back after public opinion has allready been established months later. It’s a genius PR move. Where you sell a lie, but not really, and even when you change the story people will still believe the first narrative because it simply feels better. 

To really make my point so you don’t dismiss this so quickly: Phil Spencer said this comment in January. Sony is saying it recently, about 10 months later. This is by design I assure you. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Hynad said:
yvanjean said:

They did not say much except they believe in generation and new console should not be held back by older console. They implied it and kept quiet about their real plans. Therefore, they can get the best of both world. Have you seen the stupid thread about PS5 being the only real next gen console that what Sony did with their deceptive marketing. Sony taking advantage of customers ignorance.

yvanjean said:
Hynad said:
yvanjean said:

They did not say much except they believe in generation and new console should not be held back by older console. They implied it and kept quiet about their real plans. Therefore, they can get the best of both world. Have you seen the stupid thread about PS5 being the only real next gen console that what Sony did with their deceptive marketing. Sony taking advantage of customers ignorance.

So... Let me get this straight... Long before the console’s launch tomorrow, so-called ignorant people will randomly have heard of the comment about Sony believing in generations, but won’t have heard about some of the early games being cross-gen? Because...?

Also, what is wrong with some of the early games being cross-gen?

You people are trying too hard to spread FUD and hate.

PotentHerbs said:
chakkra said:
PotentHerbs said:
chakkra said:

Why would third parties be held back by the PS4 if the Xbox One is available?

lol That's fair, but I was actually being sarcastic. I find that whole "gen-holding-back-hardware" idea risible at best. Games engines are highly scalable nowadays. Pretty much every PC game out there running at its lowest settings looks like a 7th gen game, sometimes even worse.