By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

46) Dishonored (2012)

As promised, a completely different stealth game. It's honestly a little surprising that this concept is so underdone - a stealth game primarily centred around the use of magic. It's an absolute blast to explore the levels in all three dimensions, using your Blink power to get to secret areas; Dark Vision to stay away from enemy patrols; Bend Time to buy yourself crucial moments to escape or swoop in for an unseen kill. I think it's best played on Ghost but not Clean Hands - the satisfaction of flawless stealth but without the limitation of avoiding some of the game's most fun (lethal) mechanics. I loved the setting, but it's a shame how little the story is fleshed out; if its potential were realised, this game would be much higher up the list.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

45 - not a good time to follow advice from Blue Oyster Cult's hit 1970s song.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

41. This tower defense game was exclusive to Sony systems for about 6 years.

Pixel Junk Monsters.

And I am kinda embarrassed that I didn't thought of Hyrule Warriors for #42.

Correct!

So I am correct in being embarrassed. (-;

Heh, wasn't sure what else to say.  Pixel Junk Monsters is correct.  As for missing Hyrule Warriors, that sort of thing can definitely happen to the best of us.

S.Peelman said:

Third hint for these before I'll make some time to actually post some stuff for tomorrow when game #45 is supposed to be revealed;

#50: Due to the graphics being up to anyone's imagination with these old games, the European box art made it as if we'd be in the Wild West, while the American’s thought it was the start of the next century. If you're Veknoid, you've guessed this plenty of years already.

Hint 2: Maybe it’s because of two things; you look like a cowboy, but your bullets ricochet off the trees (I guess the triangles are trees), which is pretty sci-fi.

Hint 3: So, while in my region I was just fighting with a gun, in other regions it was actually the year 2100, but still a showdown.

#49: Something happens during half time in this old sports game that doesn't happen in real life on the continent where this sport is most popular. I guess Nintendo didn't know.

Hint 2: Because cheerleading is not a thing in Europe.

Hint 3: It was one of the original 'black-box' games, an unofficial series of early games on the system.

#48: This game is extremely obscure, but is, unknown to me at the time, a clone of an NES game where a sorcerer, the player, creates blocks to solve puzzles. I'll take the NES game as an answer. Guessed by Darashiva

#47: Features a character you just want to shoot. Guessed by Darashiva

#46: You are called a rookie because you're a new pilot, which strangely is also your name, even though you've already had an adventure.

Hint 2: Still at one point you get a teacher, where you should “follow [his] lead, and do as [he] say”.

Hint 3: Which you should do to defeat the "Imperial bucket heads".

49. Soccer (NES)  - that is what it was called in the US.  Not sure of what it was called in Europe.

46. X-Wing vs. TIE fighter?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

49. Soccer (NES)  - that is what it was called in the US.  Not sure of what it was called in Europe.

49 is correct! And yes, that's also what it is called here in Europe. Something else Nintendo didn't know I guess.

46 is close, franchise is correct, timeframe of the game's release is around the same as well, however, not quite it. Bonus hint; In this game you do fly both an X-Wing and a TIE fighter at some point.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

49 is correct! And yes, that's also what it is called here in Europe. Something else Nintendo didn't know I guess.

46 is close, franchise is correct, timeframe of the game's release is around the same as well, however, not quite it. Bonus hint; In this game you do fly both an X-Wing and a TIE fighter at some point.

Is 46 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Supermario28 said:

45 to 41 let's go!

45. Some say it's a Zelda for 18+ ||| Darksiders guessed by Mnementh

44. The main character has to take back his own castle form an evil relative.

43. In this game, Audie seems to be a tribute to a real person

42. This game is the first in the serie's timeline ||| The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

41. Living together in peace, the inhabitants of an island are always full of joy thanks to a tree. But everything is taken away.

EDIT for #43 it's Audie and not Audrey, sorry

Heh, I still don't know the answer to number 43, but I kept wanting to guess "Little Shop of Horrors", because of Audrey.

No, that's not it ;)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
    S.Peelman said:
    The_Liquid_Laser said:

You went in the wrong direction, release wise; mine's a year or two older than XWing vs TIE Fighter.

I'm running a bit behind schedule, so here's my #50 through #46.

50. Undertale - One of the best "games as an experience" with a great story, design, and music. The limited gameplay is the main thing holding it back.

49. Pokemon Trading Card Game - Maybe I need to play more TCG adaptations, but this still seems like the best adaptation of a Trading Card Game out there. I've spent too many hours playing this on my commutes to and from work (as opposed to the 3DS's library) to not give it a place here.

48. Pokemon Snap - Honestly, this was the best on-rails shooter released in a post-Star Fox 64 world. The concept of capturing Pokemon on film in the best circumstances you could come up with is the best evolution of the formula I've seen.

47. FTL: Faster Than Light - The strategy roguelike that I've played for over 100 hours and still feel like I've barely begun to become proficient at. Part of that is me not being a great player, but part of it is that the game is rewardingly deep.

46. Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance - Either the Judge and Law system ruins this game for you, or it becomes one of your favorite strategy-RPG experiences. I'm in the latter camp.

An Honorable Mention goes to Minecraft. It honestly deserves a place in my Top 50, but I haven't ever beaten the game, and thus feel uncomfortable giving it a place on this list. Maybe next year!

S.Peelman said:
    The_Liquid_Laser said:
    S.Peelman said:
    The_Liquid_Laser said:

You went in the wrong direction, release wise; mine's a year or two older than XWing vs TIE Fighter.

Is it just TIE fighter?