By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

And for my next hint: Alien races are always hyper-secular. Or are they? Game #48 took that trope and turned it on it's head with amazing results.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Updated with extra hints.

49) MC dies within the first hour.

Hint 2: Cause of death: Space.

Mass Effect 2?

Got to be with those hints!

Cerebralbore101 said:
And for my next hint: Alien races are always hyper-secular. Or are they? Game #48 took that trope and turned it on it's head with amazing results.

Halo?

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of hyper-religious alien races is the Covenant.

You got it! I'm making this too easy!

Ka-pi96 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Updated with extra hints.

49) MC dies within the first hour.

Hint 2: Cause of death: Space.

Mass Effect 2?

Got to be with those hints!

Cerebralbore101 said:

Halo?

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of hyper-religious alien races is the Covenant.

Seems you got two space games right with that post because yes it's Mass Effect 2!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Woo guessing game!

50: A familiar hero dreams of an unfamiliar land

49: A bunch of heroes run around the vicinity of a cantina fighting each other

48: A testament to the idea that a game doesn't really need a plot as long as it has good enough explosions

47: Ave Maria

46: A game where you roleplay as a clean-handed ghost

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Fun and sad fact to go with my list: 2019 is the first year since 2003 not to feature on the list at all. Resident Evil 2 probably came closest but it didn't quite manage to make it in.

By contrast, 2020 features three times.

Around the Network

#48 Halo Combat Evolved

I love everything about the first Halo. The art direction, the music, the indestructible Warthog, even the OP pistol! Part of what made Halo so good is that it was initially developed as an RTS. Some of those RTS elements stayed in the final product in the form of giant interactive setpiece battles. You would come upon a bunch of Marines with a flipped over Warthog, surrounded by Covenant and just utterly turn the tide of the NPC vs NPC fight that you had stumbled into. Or you would wander into a Flood vs Marines vs Covenant free for all. It was these big setpiece battles complete with vehicles, infantry, snipers, and supersoldiers that really sold the idea of a war going on all around you. Halo wasn't the first game to use both control sticks in an FPS, but it definitely set the standard. Then you have the groundbreaking (for consoles) 16 man multiplayer mode via LAN cables connecting four Xboxes. Halo also has some of the best enemy AI in a shooter ever. Elites constantly try to flank you. Add in a hard as balls Legendary mode, and two player co-op for one of the best two player campaigns ever! The Covenant were iconic, and an interesting as hell take on Aliens. Wait? Religious Aliens? What? No, no, no, Aliens are supposed to be like Spock. All logical and stuff. Oh Snap, Humanity is the sane race? Having technology doesn't correlate to being logical? Well, that's a scary and fascinating thought! Halo just changed shooters for good. As time goes on Halo Combat Evolved only gets better. Modern shooters keep adding microtransactions, or GaaS elements. IMO the FPS genre peaked in 2001 with Halo. Only the Splatoon series has come close in offering the same originality and breath of fresh air that the OG Halo injected into the genre. 

I'm already falling behind!

Clues for #50-47:

Double your pleasure, double your fun!!

Hats off to this globe-trotting platformer

Dante's first inferno?

Everyone is here...and then some

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Clues for #50-47:

Dante's first inferno?

49: Super Mario World?

48: Devil May Cry?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Clues for #50-47:

Dante's first inferno?

49) A Hat in Time?

48) Devil May Cry 3?

47) SSBU? (feels too obvious... but maybe)

Kantor said:

Woo guessing game!

50: A familiar hero dreams of an unfamiliar land

49: A bunch of heroes run around the vicinity of a cantina fighting each other

48: A testament to the idea that a game doesn't really need a plot as long as it has good enough explosions

47: Ave Maria

46: A game where you roleplay as a clean-handed ghost

50) Link's Awakening?