By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hyped games you played years later that still lived up to the hype

vivster said:

I recently tried Yakuza 0 as my first Yakuza game and it is the biggest positive surprise I've had with a game. It completely sold me on the whole franchise. There is a thread coming about this soon.

Yeah, Yakuza is a very unique experience, or... many different unique experiences. So I think it likely has something that people would enjoy. 
if you've never played one, I'd recommend it. And 0 is the best introduction, imo.

You can check my first impressions here. https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243688/yakuza-0-is-the-most-surprising-game-ive-ever-played/1/

It really is an impressive time sink. I'll probably barely finish it until Yakuza 7 releases on the 10th. It's a good thing that there are new protagonists too since I haven't gotten to the core of the Kiryu story yet.

After that it's gonna be Kiwami 1 and 2.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Guardian Heroes.

Was not able to play this when new. I think this came out when side-scrolling beat em up RPGs were still somewhat fresh. The art and music are top-notch. One of the best OSTs on Saturn. The 2D plane gimmick of hopping between them makes it more interesting. The combo meter and commanding your ally in different ways. Branching story paths makes the game very replayable. This might still be avail on Xbox Live. If not Japanese versions of the game are still somewhat affordable and can easily be played not reading the text.  One of my fave games TBH. I was hoping to play a game like this after but the closest is Code of Princess. It's ok but not nearly as good. While it doesn;t have the hopping plane gimmick, Dragon's Crown fills the need well,of course DC is more of a successor to Tower of Doom in Arcades.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

After trying to think of a non-obvious choice ( I pretty much played all SNES/PSX classics after 2005) it would be Panzer Dragoon Saga. Saturn used to be a nightmare to emulate ( not sure how easy or difficult it is now) but the game delivers on every front. For a 30-40 hr JRPG to have a combat system that stays exciting till the end is a huge deal. The story and world building is great too. Sadly, due to the source code being destroyed , the chances of the game ever getting remastered is very slim.

Super Mario World
Ikaruga
Earthbound
F-Zero
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Moon Patrol
Star Fox
Fantasy
Ikari Warriors (arcade)
Streeth Fighter Alpha games
Strikers 1945
Prehistoric Isle
Crystalis
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Beneath a Steel Sky

Nier Automata had a big hype surrounding it, along with great reviews. I wasn't that interested. I only got it last month when it was on sale. It is a very Impactful experience, the way how the story unravels is unmatched. A storytelling masterpiece.
Last edited by Astral - on 30 October 2020

Around the Network

I didn't get around to playing Witcher 3 until 2019 cos that's when it came to Switch, still thought it was amazing.

First played Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 in the 2000s as my parents only bought me the first game as a kid, still found them spectacular.

Two games that come to mind is A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy 7

I played ALttP last year when it was out on NSO, and was a bit surprised how well it holds up today. Despite playing ALBW first, I definitely enjoyed ALttP more. Really shows how 2D Zelda hasn't changed much since this game

This year, I went on an FF spree by finishing FF12, 10, 9 and finally 7. Despite playing the games backwards, I was surprised how much I enjoyed FF7 since I was honestly expecting it to be an overhyped bandwagon game. It's a fantastic game but the minigames are a bit overboard.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

vivster said:
Very few games actually lived up to the hype when I played them. That's especially true for Final Fantasy games where the general population seems to love the ones I dislike the most and vice versa. I usually don't check out games that are years old, no matter how hyped they are.

I recently tried Yakuza 0 as my first Yakuza game and it is the biggest positive surprise I've had with a game. It completely sold me on the whole franchise. There is a thread coming about this soon.

I really hope they port Yakuza 0 to Switch eventually. It looks right up my alley but as a Nintendo only dude I've never actually had a way to play (except PC I guess, but I don't play anything except Sims 1 once a year and Civ from time to time on there)

Fallout series
Starcraft
Diablo
World of Warcraft aka the crack cocaine of games.

RingoGaSuki said:
vivster said:
Very few games actually lived up to the hype when I played them. That's especially true for Final Fantasy games where the general population seems to love the ones I dislike the most and vice versa. I usually don't check out games that are years old, no matter how hyped they are.

I really hope they port Yakuza 0 to Switch eventually. It looks right up my alley but as a Nintendo only dude I've never actually had a way to play (except PC I guess, but I don't play anything except Sims 1 once a year and Civ from time to time on there)

I really hope they port it to the Switch, the gameplay lends itself perfectly to a portable device.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.