By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hyped games you played years later that still lived up to the hype

Two games that come to mind is A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy 7

I played ALttP last year when it was out on NSO, and was a bit surprised how well it holds up today. Despite playing ALBW first, I definitely enjoyed ALttP more. Really shows how 2D Zelda hasn't changed much since this game

This year, I went on an FF spree by finishing FF12, 10, 9 and finally 7. Despite playing the games backwards, I was surprised how much I enjoyed FF7 since I was honestly expecting it to be an overhyped bandwagon game. It's a fantastic game but the minigames are a bit overboard.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
vivster said:
Very few games actually lived up to the hype when I played them. That's especially true for Final Fantasy games where the general population seems to love the ones I dislike the most and vice versa. I usually don't check out games that are years old, no matter how hyped they are.

I recently tried Yakuza 0 as my first Yakuza game and it is the biggest positive surprise I've had with a game. It completely sold me on the whole franchise. There is a thread coming about this soon.

I really hope they port Yakuza 0 to Switch eventually. It looks right up my alley but as a Nintendo only dude I've never actually had a way to play (except PC I guess, but I don't play anything except Sims 1 once a year and Civ from time to time on there)

Fallout series
Starcraft
Diablo
World of Warcraft aka the crack cocaine of games.

RingoGaSuki said:
vivster said:
Very few games actually lived up to the hype when I played them. That's especially true for Final Fantasy games where the general population seems to love the ones I dislike the most and vice versa. I usually don't check out games that are years old, no matter how hyped they are.

I recently tried Yakuza 0 as my first Yakuza game and it is the biggest positive surprise I've had with a game. It completely sold me on the whole franchise. There is a thread coming about this soon.

I really hope they port Yakuza 0 to Switch eventually. It looks right up my alley but as a Nintendo only dude I've never actually had a way to play (except PC I guess, but I don't play anything except Sims 1 once a year and Civ from time to time on there)

I really hope they port it to the Switch, the gameplay lends itself perfectly to a portable device.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Bloodborne. I bought it in 2016. My first Souls game. Tried it a few times over the years. Failed misserably and got super frustrated. Tried it again this April. And it finally made click. What. A. Game. I would play it forever. It's... so addictive. Like the blood was for the hunters. It didn't matter that I died over and over. The world, the music and the gameplay captivated me so much that I would always come back for more.

The hype was well deserved. One of the most exquisite videogame experiences I've ever experienced in my life.

Around the Network

Does demon souls count? Never played the ps3 one, but the ps5 one is great.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)