By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cloud gaming on the Switch is amazing

I think Ubitus is working with Nintendo, they are doing these little test runs and will expand this more and more as time goes on.

It's smart, instead of making a bunch of noise and hype they can quietly build up a good solid setup that scales up as more games become available and more Switch owners opt in to buying a Cloud based game or two.

The quality of experience so far seems to be getting a lot of rave reviews from people who have tried it. There's no reason really any game that is on the PC platform (barring MS or Sony IP obviously) can't be put on Switch this way.

I'd like to see Cyberpunk 2077 and Final Fantasy XV + VII added to Switch via Cloud streaming next year. Looks like we're getting all the Resident Evil games as Dark Golem's sources are rock solid. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 30 October 2020

Around the Network

So I bought this game for the sake of science, since I never played control anyway. Here are my initial impressions based on what I has seen so far.

In graphics mode, it does an ok job. There is no input lag and any studder that happens is likely due to hardware (on the other end), but I still had that, "I am streaming this game" feeling.

Now in performance mode on the other hand...this impressed me. It is a buttery smooth experience and IMO the image quality actually looks a bit better (probably due to streaming less assets). I honestly forget I am even streaming the game, and even under the most stressful combat situations, it remains a smooth experience. The only downfall I can think of (in both versions) is that the sound has like a half second delay at times that you will EASILY notice if looking for it. But it is so small that when just playing the game, you won't really notice it.

This is done on my home Wifi connection, which I will post my speeds below. So far, on wifi, the gameplay is worth the money if you don't mine the concept of streaming. It is a fine alternative for games that don't run on Switch, and it looks AMAZING in handheld mode. I will post my final impressions later today, as I still have yet to test portability. I will be using my 5G phone as a wifi hotspot during my downtime at work, and based on what I saw so far, I expect good things. If this is the case, this will make an excellent portable option for anyone that wants it and has a decent data plan.

My wifi speeds for this test are...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

dx11332sega said:

How do you guys check internet speeds for gaming? On your PC? Where can I check I have unlimited data?

On your Switch (if you have one)

dx11332sega said:
SKMBlake said:

Download speed 40.0mbps

Upload speed 14.1 mbps

Which one is the correct one ?

(I'm pretty sure you make this up but this can be useful for others)

The first one is correct

dx11332sega said:
SKMBlake said:

Download speed 40.0mbps

Upload speed 14.1 mbps

Which one is the correct one ?

The first one is correct

Around the Network

For a cloud game, the demo works surprisingly well, much better than I expected. I'm still not on board with cloud gaming, as there already are many problems regarding game ownership, and adding the constant need for internet only worsens things

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

dx11332sega said:
SKMBlake said:

The first one is correct

I thought It was the second one? Am I overpaying? I pay 150 for internet only where do I check if I have unlimited data? etc?

The Switch's USB ports are bandwidth limited so that's why it can't take full advantage of your higher internet speeds...

Although I've seen people claim somehow that they have achieved 100Mbps download, but I have never gotten more than 40Mbps myself.

Shiken said:

So I bought this game for the sake of science, since I never played control anyway. Here are my initial impressions based on what I has seen so far.

In graphics mode, it does an ok job. There is no input lag and any studder that happens is likely due to hardware (on the other end), but I still had that, "I am streaming this game" feeling.

Now in performance mode on the other hand...this impressed me. It is a buttery smooth experience and IMO the image quality actually looks a bit better (probably due to streaming less assets). I honestly forget I am even streaming the game, and even under the most stressful combat situations, it remains a smooth experience. The only downfall I can think of (in both versions) is that the sound has like a half second delay at times that you will EASILY notice if looking for it. But it is so small that when just playing the game, you won't really notice it.

This is done on my home Wifi connection, which I will post my speeds below. So far, on wifi, the gameplay is worth the money if you don't mine the concept of streaming. It is a fine alternative for games that don't run on Switch, and it looks AMAZING in handheld mode. I will post my final impressions later today, as I still have yet to test portability. I will be using my 5G phone as a wifi hotspot during my downtime at work, and based on what I saw so far, I expect good things. If this is the case, this will make an excellent portable option for anyone that wants it and has a decent data plan.

I mean, with those wifi speeds it better work flawlessly! Out of curiosity, what speed do you get when you do the connection test directly on the Switch? Because I get ~85Mbps when I test on my phone, but on the Switch from the identical spot it's only 48Mbps.

Last edited by kenjab - on 30 October 2020

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:
Shiken said:

I mean, with those wifi speeds it better work flawlessly! Out of curiosity, what speed do you get when you do the connection test directly on the Switch? Because I get ~85Mbps when I test on my phone, but on the Switch from the identical spot it's only 48Mbps.

Same as you pretty much.

48 up

20 down

Both Switch and PS4 seem to have caps on their net speed usage.  The only console I have ever seen clock my full speed was the X1.  Having the extra speed just ensures that if my speeds dip at any point, they won't dip below the cap and the performance should remain consistent.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I just finished the game, it was very great. Overall probably the best looking Switch game so far. Took some pictures while I was playing: