By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cloud gaming on the Switch is amazing

I plan on trying it on my 5G wifi hotspot for my phone later. For me, it is how well it performs on the go. Otherwise I may as well play it on the Series X next in two weeks (if at all).

Not excited with cloud gaming in general outside of XCoud though TBH.  Those servers could (and likely will) go down when licenses eventually expire if these cloud versions are not part of a bigger service.  And in the case of XCloud, at least I will still have the games digital on my console.  I would just use the cross progression to play on the go.  So if XCloud were to go down, at least I would still have my digital copy.

GeForce Now had a similar method by allowing cross progression with steam, but a few greedy publishers ruined that concept in many instances.  So as of now, XCloud is the only streaming service that interests me.

Last edited by Shiken - on 29 October 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
SKMBlake said:

Best cloud experience I ever had so far. I believe this is the new future for Nintendo.

The future of nintendo is to not own your games, physically or digitally, but to stream them to your device?

You sure about that?

For top end 3rd party games that otherwise aren't on Nintendo systems period, having the option is fine.

Not everyone wants to spend an additional $400-$500 for a Playstation or XBox if their Switch can just play a lot of the same content plus have native Nintendo titles and indies. 

JRPGfan said:
SKMBlake said:

Best cloud experience I ever had so far. I believe this is the new future for Nintendo.

The future of nintendo is to not own your games, physically or digitally, but to stream them to your device?

You sure about that?

The future of Nintendo is, to me, to complete its huge library of games with huge 3rd party games that will come with the next generation through cloud gaming as a "bonus" (which will eventually become the new gaming standard).

That's what makes this situation different from Stadia: it's a side way to play games, you still have your huge library of games on your main console, and if you want to play 3rd party games that can't run on the Switch, you have a new option besides having a new platform to play it.

I might have to give it a go, just to get an idea of what cloud gaming feels like. I was actually about to try out Stadia the other day but the sign-up process kinda bored me, and when I was asked to switch to Chrome (I'm a Firefox user) I quit. So I'm still a cloud gaming virgin.

It's good that you're able to play a few minutes for free as there's no way in hell I'm going to pay for a cloud game without first knowing I'll have a good enough experience with it. And even then $40 to stream a game is too steep for me. Make it $20 and you might have deal. Maybe.

As for cloud gaming in general, I do hope it works out as it would make it possible for Switch to get more 3rd party content despite the huge difference in power when compared to PS5 and XbonX.

Mar1217 said:
SKMBlake said:

I have a low-end internet connection and ran just fine. You should def give it a try (it's free)

Too ocupied with Age of Calamity, even then, it's just a 10 min. demo ... There really isn't much you can do to get a feel for the game with such a short amount of time.

It runs, looks and plays better than AOG....oop.

Around the Network
BlackBeauty said:
Mar1217 said:

Too ocupied with Age of Calamity, even then, it's just a 10 min. demo ... There really isn't much you can do to get a feel for the game with such a short amount of time.

It runs, looks and plays better than AOG....oop.

I think that's the best/worst part actually

SKMBlake said:
JWeinCom said:
I had a different experience. For me it ran pretty well, but there was definitely some stuttering here and there. It didn't run quite as well as games run on a PS4 or XBone.

It was still perfectly playable, and I'm interested in how this works out, since I'm not planning on buying a next gen console right away, and this could be a good solution until I do.

Which mode did you play ? Cause mostly people want to play graphics mode first, which is not a good choice

I was playing on performance mode.

JWeinCom said:
SKMBlake said:

Which mode did you play ? Cause mostly people want to play graphics mode first, which is not a good choice

Ok weird.

From my side, I am now at mission 5 ("Threshold") and still great, no lag or slow-downs, no connectivity issues, I totally forget it's a cloud-based game

SKMBlake said:
JWeinCom said:

Ok weird.

From my side, I am now at mission 5 ("Threshold") and still great, no lag or slow-downs, no connectivity issues, I totally forget it's a cloud-based game

Not really weird. That's just how streaming is. Results will vary. And even speed isn't the end all be all. Some networks play nicer with streaming services for some reason. 

I was using PSNow at my uncle's house (he let me stay there when the pandemic was at its worst in NY) and it was unplayably laggy. At my house, where the internet is way slower, it ran better. Just how it is sometimes.

JWeinCom said:
SKMBlake said:

Ok weird.

Not really weird. That's just how streaming is. Results will vary. And even speed isn't the end all be all. Some networks play nicer with streaming services for some reason. 

I was using PSNow at my uncle's house (he let me stay there when the pandemic was at its worst in NY) and it was unplayably laggy. At my house, where the internet is way slower, it ran better. Just how it is sometimes.

I couldn't play PS Now either, it was way too terrible in my new appartment, and was using it through my PS4 on wifi. And GeForce Now was meh-ish. I won't even bother mentioning Stadia.

So I said weird cause the solution offered by Nintendo seems pretty different from what I saw with other streaming services.