By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Can mods stop deleting posts please?

I'm going to comment on that too while we're here, to my knowledge no Moderator has quit this year, a few however have took a step back due to personal reasons, there is a pandemic going on which has significantly impacted peoples lives so I don't really appreciate the wild speculation, some people have very real issues and it'll be good to bare the current climate of the world in mind when looking at moderators who are slightly less active.

It has impacted us a little lately but we're making efforts to mitigate that.

Around the Network

Well im right aint i, this would have been better on discord or a pm. Why couldnt guys be your usual obtuse selves and locked it asap.... Or was it just another lets fuck with kirby

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Wait, NightlyPoe's asked for permaban?

kirby007 said:
Well im right aint i, this would have been better on discord or a pm. Why couldnt guys be your usual obtuse selves and locked it asap.... Or was it just another lets fuck with kirby

Stick to Empire, Kirby. 😒

It was locked at first but we decided it needed investigating and wanted to clear some stuff up.

It'll probably be locked when I sort out if I can restore the posting histories of DPSX and John cause as far as I'm concerned the matter will be resolved and we've all learnt from it, not much more to say after that, not like a proper deletion system is coming anytime soon.

But seriously your initial post wasn't cool.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Wait, NightlyPoe's asked for permaban?

Yeah he asked Machina for an account delete.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 October 2020

kirby007 said:

Well you could have presented that story about the 2 mods in discord, but since you did it in public, you kinda force the clarification to also be made in public.

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 October 2020

Around the Network
Hiku said:
kirby007 said:

Well you could have presented that story about the 2 mods in discord, but since you did it in public, you kinda force the clarification to also be made in public.

I cant ryuu banned me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Hiku said:
VAMatt said:

I don't see it that way.  It doesn't matter whether the OP was correct about what was happening (he was) or the reasons it was happening (it looks like he was not).  It's still an issue for all of us to be aware of.  I can see where a mod might be offended by the post.  But, I don't see a problem with an OP being offensive, unless it is intended to offended for the sake of offending. 

Also, look at the outcome here.  The issue is being addressed - mods learned that they were inadvertently doing something that caused problems, community members got an explanation (one that will stay here for people to refer to later, if needed), and efforts to come to a more permanent solution are in place.  So, I'd say the OP did a good job.  

If OP can just ask a question first to avoid spreading misinformation, then that is not too much to ask.

He could have asked if this was our policy for perma bans before making the thread.
We would have had the same outcome, without the misinformation, and probably without Kirby joining in with some story about 2 mods that supposedly quit because it was a 'shit job' (still want to know who these 2 are because only Amy left since I joined, and she didn't even tell anyone why to our knowledge.)

Another issue is what this thread could have looked like if mods weren't online and responded when they did. And JWein wasn't online for a few hours. And he was the one we needed to talk to. So we were trying to reach out to him ASAP.
And for all we know, he could have been offline for another 24 hours.

This was easily avoidable if OP had just asked a question first. So yes, absolutely do that first next time. Otherwise the thread may just get locked immediately, and the community may not learn about the situation as a result.

Fair enough. I think it's worth pointing out however that if we still had a mod thread then I likely would have asked in there rather than creating a new thread about it. Maybe then I also would have asked about it when John was originally banned (I believe the mod thread was closed around the same time). The post deletion was the only part of that ban I took issue with, so I didn't see it as worth following up back then, especially assuming I'd have had to create a whole thread about it then too.

It was just seeing more missing posts again recently that made it relevant to me again. I know you asked whose posts specifically, but I didn't know whose, I just noticed that weren't as many as there should have been anymore. That may have even been a spam bot, but mistake or not regular users have had posts deleted recently so I don't think it was unfair to think that the new deletions may have been a regular user too.

kirby007 said:

Cause if we lock it, people be like,

"HAH SEE THEY'RE TRYING TO HIDE IT AND SILENCE US!"

XD

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 25 October 2020

JWeinCom said:
Alright, so let me clarify a bit since I'm the mod in question here.

I was doing a ban for someone. Among other issues were some objectionable posts on their walls.

When you ban people, there's a little box that says "Delete PMs and Walls". So... thinking this would delete PMs and walls, I thought "oh, well that seems appropriate for this situation, I'll do just that".

Unbeknownst to me clicking that box actually deletes every post they've made, and apparently some posts that quote them as well.

There's a possibility that I may have used that on other users too, if this has happened before. Like, John requested a ban, so I figured he'd want his walls wiped clean too. Now that I know that clicking the box doesn't do what I thought, I won't be clicking it anymore.

So, this was not an effort to delete posts. I legitimately had no idea that was even something I could do, and was as surprised as anyone else. I think they're working on changing the way that option works so it won't be an issue in the future.

I hope they're also working on better onboarding.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

No, I don't think you get it. Nothing was justified. I called out Weinermobile on abuse (which he'll deny), withdrew his ability to mod me, and he thought it wouldn't $tick. Oh no, $ is such an evil, unwanted symbol! Where is that part in the rules? Too bad. And I guess you'll have to be denied too if this is the kind of scam you guys pull around here. I've dealt with mod abuse on plenty of forums. The entire team will hide it to protect their little clan. Why should you be the exception? So thanks for your concern but you can leave now.

To Weinerhead, you can try but it won't help. You threw a pissyfit over a $, started removing posts that weren't against any rules. I called your shit, and from that point your mod opinions had no relevance to my account. If you don't like it then I suggest you try modding a different forum. I'll stop when you apologize. Otherwise go swallow a tack.