Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts September 2020 Discussion Thread

It's fascinating how different the worldwide 3DS graph and the Japanese 3DS graph are in comparison to each other. Together, they tell the story of the 3DS: a system that overperformed in Japan, and underperformed overseas.

Around the Network

Share this article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - Switch Closes the Gap in September 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 725,836 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,583,205 - DS

Total Lead: 6,612,350 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 65,713,911

DS Total Sales: 72,326,261

September 2020 is the 43rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 725,836 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 1,58 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 6.61 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 43rd month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is September 2020, while for the DS it is May 2008. The Switch has sold 65.71 million units, while the DS sold 72.34 million units during the same timeframe. The DS reached current Switch sales in month 39.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 88.31 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch gains 700k+ while the DS is selling at it's peak. Launch aligned the two systems are going to end up pretty close to tied, after December. Either Switch will be a little ahead or a little behind.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 14 October 2020

In the next 3 Month (June to August 2008) NDS casually sold roughly 6 million units. 6 Million Units during summer is completely insane...
It will be at 78.16 million units then. If Switch manages to sell 12.5 million units during the next 3 month (October to December 2020) it even can take a small lead again.
2019 Switch sold roughly 11 million in this quarter. I think it has a chance to surpass NDS shortly again after this years holiday.

But the bad news for Switch is: 4 month later (December 2008) - so in 7 months from now - NDS is at 93.39 million.
Still an impressive performance for Switch. NDS was much cheaper at this point, otherwise it wouldnt have been able to do those numbers.

Switch narrowing the gap with DS during the latter's megaton years is just insane.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share this article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Tops 6 Million in September 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 989,068 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,696,779 - Switch

Total Lead: 6,020,197 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 65,713,911

PS4 Total Sales: 59,693,714

September 2020 is the 43rd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 989,068 units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.70 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 6.02 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 43rd month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is September 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is May 2017. The Switch has sold 65.71 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 59.69 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 48.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 113.70 million units through August 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 48.09 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 15 October 2020

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I think you used the august gap chart for this month's gap chart for the Switch vs PS4 sales comparison.

6 million aligned lead over PS4... maybe, just maybe Switch will win this one after all.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

PDiddy said:

I think you used the august gap chart for this month's gap chart for the Switch vs PS4 sales comparison.

I somehow missed adding the month of September to the first graph. I've gone and fixed the error. 

curl-6 said:
6 million aligned lead over PS4... maybe, just maybe Switch will win this one after all.

I hope that's sarcasm and self-depreciating humor at this point.

Switch is 6m ahead with one holiday season less. As always, 12 month intervalls of comparison work best for consoles that didn't launch anywhere close to in the same month.

12 months - Switch ahead by 2m
24 months - cumulative Switch lead hits 4m
36 months - cumulative Switch lead reaches 6m
48 months - cumulative Switch lead is 13m+ (projected)

Year 5 and 6 for the PS4 are ~19m and ~14m, respectively. Would be a major upset if Switch didn't continue the trend of growing its lead over the PS4 every year.

There's a good chance that Switch's life to date sales by month 72 already exceed the PS4's lifetime sales.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club