By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My DNA results ancester

I am 32% interested

Around the Network

I have done 23&me and my results have “updated” twice. These “updates” contradict in major ways. Now I have diverse heritage which is indicated in each result, but entire countries can appear or disappear (0%) and things which are consistent have varied by almost 20%. I’ve done research since emailing the site with no reply. Apparently some identical twins and triplets are getting different results. I’ve seen one twitter user had a small % of a heritage neither parent did, but that led them to get a maternity test and he was their kid so someone’s results were definitely wrong. The whole thing seems pretty spotty in terms of its scientific accuracy. Not trying to say you wasted your money, but I sure feel like I have.

I just took a DNA test, turns out I'm 100% that bitch

dx11332sega said:
FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:

I have done 23&me and my results have “updated” twice. These “updates” contradict in major ways. Now I have diverse heritage which is indicated in each result, but entire countries can appear or disappear (0%) and things which are consistent have varied by almost 20%. I’ve done research since emailing the site with no reply. Apparently some identical twins and triplets are getting different results. I’ve seen one twitter user had a small % of a heritage neither parent did, but that led them to get a maternity test and he was their kid so someone’s results were definitely wrong. The whole thing seems pretty spotty in terms of its scientific accuracy. Not trying to say you wasted your money, but I sure feel like I have.

MIne are more accurate because they never knew I was central american I never told them that they could of pinned me to brazil and call it a day?

But that doesn't demonstrate accuracy. Like broken clock is always right twice a day, they could have gotten "central american" "correct" by chance.
Or you could not have "central american" ancestry, but some other heritage despite your family most recently originating from central america.
You are also assuming the "chinese" portion is accurate, and are assuming it is true there isn't any other component (which could be from Brazil).
People are telling you identical twins or even the same person having results updated can come back with different results. That's not "accurate".
So assuming your single result is accurarate isn't really substanted just because some parts seem familiar or reasonable from your family history.

What do they consider "central american"? Native peoples besides the Nahuatl/Aztec in central america? Does it include Spanish creole element?
Berber isn't weird for Spanish heritage because it's right next to spain, and probably was mixed even before Andalusian "Arab" period.
If you don't have other typically "Spanish" DNA, it's plausible that part of family was originally Berber who assimilated to Spanish and emigated.
But again, this is not established as accurate test, so putting so much weight in any of this isn't really justified besides confirming existing bias

I also wonder about the rationale for doing these. OK curiousity is great, but the test companies and process itself certainly is dubious.
I believe there is certain companies or ways of dealing with them that can have more privacy, but I believe the default for this company is
your information becomes available to anybody who buys it from them, so you are basically giving DNA tracking data to government/police.
That can be used against you, or against your family members (since they share most DNA with you), curiosity doesn't seem worth being a narc.

ice said:
I just took a DNA test, turns out I'm 100% that bitch

I chuckled harder than I should have 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

So I'm mostly white with some native American coming in from both sides, and a very small amount of African.

Essentially every American "white" person, whose ancestry in the US goes back at least a few generations, has a similar background.  There may be more or less African and more of less Native, but almost all of us are mostly European with some African and native.  

The same is actually true of everyone in the Americas, though south and central Americans tend to have more native and African, and less European.  

I made a My Heritage test:

But people said their calculator was not really good because they classify mixed white-amerindean component as amerindean only, so I exported raw data and uploaded in another calculator on internet (https://www.yourdnaportal.com/gadata/K36) and got this:

Population Percentage

Iberian 21.39%
West African 17.33%
Amerindian 13.25%
Italian 10.56%
North Sea 8.06%
East Balkan 5.96%
North Atlantic 3.73%
Basque 3.31%
Central Euro 3.01%
Pygmy 2.67%
North African 2.20%
East Med 2.13%
West Med 1.53%
Northeast African 1.42%
French 1.38%
East Asian 0.84%
Fennoscandian 0.58%
Indo-Chinese 0.35%
South Asian 0.30%

TLDR a commom brazillian citzen: 60% european (including Askhenazi Jewish), 23% African, 14% amerindean, 3% asian/west asian

This is how I look before and after the look-down (February vs September)

I miss my tan :/  

shikamaru317 said:

I haven't had one done, but my mom did. Her family had several past Melungeon ancestors, a tri-racial group from the area of Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee where her family is from. She is mostly English and German, with smaller percentages of Native American and African. While he hasn't had a DNA test done, I know my dad is mostly German and Irish, but also with some Native American, as I had a great, great grandparent on his side who was fully Cherokee. So I'm mostly white with some native American coming in from both sides, and a very small amount of African.

Given The America's history, I think it is safe to say that we have the biggest mixture in all the planet. I think even people who look 100% white or 100% black have some mixture in them.

I got mine through 23 and me and it was pretty accurate, 25% black (congo) 25% spanish, 35% italian and 15% european others. 0% Brazilian.
I was afraid of share my results, I dont want to find a family member I never got contact with.