By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DLSS 2.1 Ultra Performance Mode (Switch 2 Discussion)

New DLSS 2.1 offers a new performance mode which reconstructs resolution by a factor of 9x. The 1440p to 8K stuff was not so impressive but the 360p to 1080p conversion is honestly insane.  

Starts at 16:50 

I can't help but be excited by how this technology continues to bode well for a future Switch 

Around the Network

Resolution will be a thing of the past similar to the megapixel race in digital cameras.

Nvidia/Nintendo are a head of the game.

I was expecting Soundwave to be the creator of this thread.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
I was expecting Soundwave to be the creator of this thread.

Heh you do still post since the "fallout"

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between DLSS to normal resolution pixels? And am I correct in assuming DLSS is a more efficient way to have better visuals, which means weaker hardware can have better visuals, or is that wrong?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between DLSS to normal resolution pixels? And am I correct in assuming DLSS is a more efficient way to have better visuals, which means weaker hardware can have better visuals, or is that wrong?

DLSS is based on Deep Learning. Super sampling works by making images sharper by rendering them in a higher resolution and then take that more precise information and use it to draw a sharper image. In DLSS you use an AI to learn how a game is supposed to look like in a higher resolution and then apply the resulting algorithm to the picture. This way the algorithm can seemingly create information out of nowhere, thanks to past training. That process is way less demanding on hardware than having to calculate a whole picture in a high resolution. It's so effective that you can basically do the opposite of regular super sampling, which downscales a high resolution to a lower one. DLSS instead uses a lower resolution and then upscales it with additional information from the deep learning algorithm.

That way you can have a better looking picture while still using way less compute power. A technique like that is great for consoles and especially for Nintendo, since they like to underpower their hardware. If the game is built with DLSS in mind it could actually be an amazing innovation and deliver high fps in high resolutions and highly detailed textures on comparably weak machines.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

For next gen switch and/or switch pro, DLSS will change the game. Ninty might not need to sacrifice battery life or pricing to match next gen much better.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

adding what the previous posters said upscaling 1440p with DLSS to 8k requires 3000 more vram and native 8k requires 12000 more vram, for the game Control!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

If this technology could upscale all Switch games to "only" 1080p, I'd be more than happy, especially in games like the witcher or doom 

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 09 October 2020

vivster said:
Dulfite said:

DLSS is based on Deep Learning. Super sampling works by making images sharper by rendering them in a higher resolution and then take that more precise information and use it to draw a sharper image. In DLSS you use an AI to learn how a game is supposed to look like in a higher resolution and then apply the resulting algorithm to the picture. This way the algorithm can seemingly create information out of nowhere, thanks to past training. That process is way less demanding on hardware than having to calculate a whole picture in a high resolution. It's so effective that you can basically do the opposite of regular super sampling, which downscales a high resolution to a lower one. DLSS instead uses a lower resolution and then upscales it with additional information from the deep learning algorithm.

That way you can have a better looking picture while still using way less compute power. A technique like that is great for consoles and especially for Nintendo, since they like to underpower their hardware. If the game is built with DLSS in mind it could actually be an amazing innovation and deliver high fps in high resolutions and highly detailed textures on comparably weak machines.

1. So hypothetically, DLSS could make Switch 2 just as good looking as an Xbox Series X, if they could make it efficient enough? Or perhaps by Switch 3?

2. Why would Microsoft and Sony not abandon current methods and embrace DLSS themselves, if this is more efficient?

3. If the other two continue in the more in-efficient methods, then could we see Nintendo catch up to the power levels of the other two in a gen or two, by means of more efficient and cheaper technology?

Last edited by Dulfite - on 09 October 2020