By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gamestop Announces MICROSOFT Partnership!? Microsoft Buying The Company? Shocking

can you imagine a chain actually helping people explain all those games with stickers you can play those with gamepass/netflix

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Nobody should ever buy Gamestop unless they're doing it for scrap parts.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Reggie doing wonders?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Um, you wanna go for digital and subscription based things and then you go out and partner with an outdated, physical distribution chain, and a dying one at that? Oo-kay. Not seeing it.

It is obvious that it is a clickbait..
Microsoft is "partnering" with a LOT of companies out there with their Office 365/Dynamics offering. They are now in front of SalesForces for SAAS applications and became number one with it. If every time a company is using Microsoft suits, it would mean they are planning to buy them,. they basically plan to buy 75% of the businesses out there...

Around the Network
vivster said:
Nobody should ever buy Gamestop unless they're doing it for scrap parts.

That is very likely going to be the fate of GameStop.  Somebody will buy them out of bankruptcy in a few years, shed some debt, greatly reduce the store count, and continue on.  The name and inventory are valuable, but I don't think they can reduce the store count quickly enough to avoid bankruptcy in the medium term.  They have too much debt, so they have to generate cash to service that debt.  If they close half of the stores, which is probably what needs to happen to remain a viable business for a while, they won't be able to generate enough cash to pay the bills.  So, that stuff will have to happen in bankruptcy.  

Hey if this leads to stores pushing a Xbox first agenda then I’m happy. You hear stories of PS bias employees well guess their manager gonna have a talk with them to stfu and sell more Game Pass subs lol.

Do all my gaming hardware and select software shopping at BestBuy because i just hated walking into a EBgames (Canadian Gamestop), where the employee always assumed I wanted the PS version of a multiplat I wanted (shivers). 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 09 October 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dante9 said:
Um, you wanna go for digital and subscription based things and then you go out and partner with an outdated, physical distribution chain, and a dying one at that? Oo-kay. Not seeing it.

Why not both? Doesn’t have to be one or the other. People at the very least come into the store to buy hardware and gaming memorabilia to a lesser degree. Digital is huge but millions are still diehard physical media buyers. 

Xbox can’t grow how they want when PS ads dominate the stores. Changing mindshare to your favor is a process where everything helps. This is yet just another battleground MS invested in. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dante9 said:

you missed the part in the original accouncement that introducing a new person into the xbox environment will have financial benefits/rewards for gamestop?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

In my experience I think they've always had a back alley deal with them anyways- this one's just more official and public.

Since the 360 era, and I would say halfway through the Xbox one era, they would configure their stores to make the Xbox section seem bigger and more selective. (at least from what I saw). It wasn't until PlayStation had completely destroyed Microsoft that they shifted the stores in Sony's favor.

The employees themselves would always try and push Xbox onto the customers and every once in a while I'd hear them say some flat out lies to convince the customer to go with Microsoft. I'd hear it and would step in and say "don't listen to that bullshit!"

Would be interested to hear from some former employees who could confirm if it was true or not.