By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5's First Year Games Lineup Looks Amazing!

Assuming the first year games, like God Of War 5 and Horizon 2 are actually released in 2021 and not delayed to 2022, then yes.

But thats a big if.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
vivster said:

Good for you if you're excited. For me this'll be the first time in a long while I'm not going to get a console at launch, because there is absolutely no reason to.

But why, though? The list of games coming out in the first year has a hell of a pedigree to it. Sequels to Horizon and God of War - two of the most loved games of the past gen? check. Side-content to the best-selling superhero game of all time? Check. Remake of an old classic? Check. Platformers, racing games, shooters, Ratchet & Clank? All check. Like, it's a super diverse lineup and I genuinely am curious what more you could possibly expect from a console's first year. Like, I wanna hear what it'd take for you to get the console within its first year. 

Horizon is a PC game for me because I need a mouse for it. I do not care for the new GOW because I greatly dislike the new direction of the game. I absolutely love all other GOW games, so if they were to bring those back, that would be nice. I don't care for 3D platformers that aren't Mario and neither do I care about anything Spiderman related. Now if they were to make a new Infamous, aka the reason why I bought a PS4 at launch, that would be cool. Another game that would make me buy the console at launch would be another Motorstorm. But like so many other Playstation studios they decided to stop making great games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Runa216 said:

But why, though? The list of games coming out in the first year has a hell of a pedigree to it. Sequels to Horizon and God of War - two of the most loved games of the past gen? check. Side-content to the best-selling superhero game of all time? Check. Remake of an old classic? Check. Platformers, racing games, shooters, Ratchet & Clank? All check. Like, it's a super diverse lineup and I genuinely am curious what more you could possibly expect from a console's first year. Like, I wanna hear what it'd take for you to get the console within its first year. 

Horizon is a PC game for me because I need a mouse for it. I do not care for the new GOW because I greatly dislike the new direction of the game. I absolutely love all other GOW games, so if they were to bring those back, that would be nice. I don't care for 3D platformers that aren't Mario and neither do I care about anything Spiderman related. Now if they were to make a new Infamous, aka the reason why I bought a PS4 at launch, that would be cool. Another game that would make me buy the console at launch would be another Motorstorm. But like so many other Playstation studios they decided to stop making great games.

Ah, so just very specific tastes. 

One thing that baffles me is how anyone could prefer old God of War games to the new one; I always felt God of War 1-3 were a overrated as Halo but the new one is mature, deep, and rewarding instead of a mindless button masher. Then again, some people like Dynasty Warriors while others like Dark Souls. I get it...kinda...but I Can't even fathom someone hating the direction of the series. God of War 2018 is a nearly flawless game, in my eyes. Not often that sort of thing happens. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Bandorr said:
Yep. PS4 I played knack. Waited several months for Infamous second son. Waited like a year for Type-0. I don't remember what came out after that but I do remember that is when I got more of a steady stream of games.

Spider-man, Scarlet Nexus, Demon Soul's, Dante SE. There are more games at launch I'm interested in than I think two years of the PS4.

Also the controller will be exciting, the loading times, the Tempest 3D audio. Also I have an LG CX, and an actual sound system set up this time. So I'm very ready for this gen to start.

PS4 barely had anything for me until Bloodborne came out. Then, from 2015-2020 it was just a steady stream of outstanding games both first and third party. In the past, Sony has often started out slow but finished strong, so I'm worried if they start this strong they might putter out near the end. Or, ideally, maybe they could just remain strong throughout. 

and no, the fact that some games are cros gen is not a problem. It does detract a wee bit from the novelty factor of 'oooh, new hardware', but it's great for the MASSIVE install base already on PS4 knowing that Covid has impacted hardware manufacture. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Meh, the only one I am really hyped about is Ratchet. I am probably gonna get spiderman at launch. I am hoping the boost mode works similarly to the Series X otherwise it will be lame.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Meh, the only one I am really hyped about is Ratchet. I am probably gonna get spiderman at launch. I am hoping the boost mode works similarly to the Series X otherwise it will be lame.

a lot of what I'm reading say that 60fps/4k resolution is pretty common or the norm. works for me. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Bandorr said:
Yep. PS4 I played knack. Waited several months for Infamous second son. Waited like a year for Type-0. I don't remember what came out after that but I do remember that is when I got more of a steady stream of games.

Spider-man, Scarlet Nexus, Demon Soul's, Dante SE. There are more games at launch I'm interested in than I think two years of the PS4.

Also the controller will be exciting, the loading times, the Tempest 3D audio. Also I have an LG CX, and an actual sound system set up this time. So I'm very ready for this gen to start.

Yeah, even though, I'm not personally looking to get a PS5, I do have to admit that their launch lineup is way better than PS4's was. A lot of studios that made PS4 games needed to get up and running during that gen. Bend Studio, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, and Guerilla all had a lot of legwork to do before they could get their big PS4 games out. I expect those studios to have sequels on PS5 rather quickly.

BTW, I'm not out here saying that Days Gone was great. I thought it was very good. But I think now that they've managed to transition from PSP development to PS4 development, Bend Studio's next game will be amazing!

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 06 October 2020

Runa216 said:
vivster said:

One thing that baffles me is how anyone could prefer old God of War games to the new one; I always felt God of War 1-3 were a overrated as Halo but the new one is mature, deep, and rewarding instead of a mindless button masher. Then again, some people like Dynasty Warriors while others like Dark Souls. I get it...kinda...but I Can't even fathom someone hating the direction of the series. God of War 2018 is a nearly flawless game, in my eyes. Not often that sort of thing happens. 

The thing is I don't play games to watch movies, I play games to play games. They fucked with the perfect gameplay so they lost me. At least there is Hades now, which is the best GOW game that came out in over 10 years.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Runa216 said:

The thing is I don't play games to watch movies, I play games to play games. They fucked with the perfect gameplay so they lost me. At least there is Hades now, which is the best GOW game that came out in over 10 years.

God of War 2018 has cutscenes, but it's not heavily inundated with them or anything. Are you sure you played the same game as the rest of us?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

GoW is like 5% cutscenes. Vister obviously hasn't played it.