By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you bond with big dogs?

We used to have chihuahuas and a St Bernard. The chihuahuas would own his arse and sleep on top of the St Bernard.

Essentially they are the same beast, the only difference are

Small Dog
- Loud high pitch bark
- Eat less
- Make a smaller mess
- Live longer on average 12-15 years

Large Dog
- More docile
- Eat way more
- Make a bigger mess
- Live shorter on average 6-10 years

Both breads I felt were well behaved and loving animals

Around the Network

These are mine, Yogi and Reagan. I give them chances to do the right thing and I use consistent commands. Honestly, I save them each my last bites of what I eat most of the time. I walk them twice a day. I don’t let them in my bedroom. I use a ramp to get yogi in my truck. Brush them when I can. Rub their bellies in the morning. Take them on trips. When I had just yogi I’d take him inside stores with me and say he was a service dog. Almost everyone loves big dogs. Just treat them like over grown three year olds. They’re your kids. Be consistent with boundaries. Be their gentle leader. 

Get a cat. There is no bond like a cat and its can opener.

OneTime said:
Get a cat. There is no bond like a cat and its can opener.

I always get reminded by that bond when one of my cats thinks it's snacktime at 3.30 am.

Best way to bond with a dog is lots of training with Verbal commands (Sit, Stay, Recall etc,) with lots of positive praise and treats, Cuddles and play time. Also depends if you live with the dog or not, cos he has to know he is below you in the pecking order, as they are pack driven and will try to be Alpha dog if they see a weakness or dont see you as a natural leader. So be firm but fair. Enforce and stick to boundaries (no sofa etc) always eat first in front of them and make them work for there food ie Sit, stay do a trick etc.

Around the Network

Spending quality time together, training them, paying attention to them/understanding your dogs body language. Big dogs aren't all that different to small dogs.
However, if the dog is anxious/scared, you want to build their trust and get to know you, don't come up to them and start petting them, it will probably freak them out. Sit near them, and just talk. They'll eventually get use to you over time, and then they can be able to come over to you. It usually takes a long time. 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Play with them a lot. Walk them a lot. Treat them like a person. Don't let them walk all over you, though. They need to know who is dominant.

Nogamez said:

Best way to bond with a dog is lots of training with Verbal commands (Sit, Stay, Recall etc,) with lots of positive praise and treats, Cuddles and play time. Also depends if you live with the dog or not, cos he has to know he is below you in the pecking order, as they are pack driven and will try to be Alpha dog if they see a weakness or dont see you as a natural leader. So be firm but fair. Enforce and stick to boundaries (no sofa etc) always eat first in front of them and make them work for there food ie Sit, stay do a trick etc.

I totally agree. 

Wait. Is this the same dog that bit your mom?

If you raise your dog correctly, even when it bites it will be playful and not trying to rip your arm off. But you have to put in the work...when it bites too hard you have to let it know. If you don't want it to playful bite you anymore, give it something else to chew on like a bone. Take the time to understand the dog and you can ensure the behaviors you like it retains and the behaviors you do not like it at least understands it should not do. Most of puppyhood is about learning boundaries and setting clear lines in the sand is key.

No real difference between large and small dogs in this way.