By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest step up in quality from one system to its successor

Raven said:
GameCube to Wii
Wii U to Switch
PS2 to PS3
Dreamcast to nothing

stop trollin brosef 

Around the Network

Wii U to Switch
N64 to GCN
Game Boy Color to Game Boy Advance
DS to 3DS
Saturn to Dreamcast

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Raven said:
GameCube to Wii
Wii U to Switch
PS2 to PS3
Dreamcast to nothing

stop trollin brosef 

It's not trolling when it's the truth. :P

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 October 2020

BraLoD said:
PS2 to PS3.
The first time I touched The Last of Us on PS3 was like it was a new gen during the current gen.
So the PS3 was like two gens above the PS2.

True, and unfortunate too few developers could rise to that level. Maybe the dev tools weren't fully optimized from beginning, but the general concept of Cell of multi-processing/threading was widely recognized as way forward in computing. It just was harder, and programmers didn't like doing hard stuff. What they did with that hardware shows it's potential even if 3rd party didn't rise to the same bar. More generally I think it is good example of step change in games in way that really hasn't been replicated since, and the dedication to premium quality with Blu-Ray drive clearly qualifies for this thread. I can't really get behind the Nintendo generations that were really just upgrades of previous model (Wii architecture), that's not really more significant than "mid-gen upgrade" except it was marketted as new gen.

snes to n64
psone to ps2
ps2 to ps3 for graphics only
gameboy advance to nintendo ds
wiiu and 3ds to switch
xbox to xbox 360
ps3 to ps4 (o lets be honest u know the reason haha!)

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
PS2 to PS3.
The first time I touched The Last of Us on PS3 was like it was a new gen during the current gen.
So the PS3 was like two gens above the PS2.

The Last of Us: Part 2 gave me a similar feel of "new gen".
I think it's just a Naughty Dog thing. Not a PS3 thing

BraLoD said:
Replicant said:

The Last of Us: Part 2 gave me a similar feel of "new gen".
I think it's just a Naughty Dog thing. Not a PS3 thing

Kinda right.

The Last of Us Part II makes great looking games like Horizon look very dated, it was indeed another big jaw drop.

But PS4 games took a while to look a lot better than PS3 best games, so I still feel like PS3 to PS4 is quite less of a boost than from PS2 to PS3.

Granted, TLoU to TLoU2 was a massive jump.

Bold: I see your point though it took PS3 games quite a while to look a lot better than PS2 games as well.

In the beginning, it was mostly just higher resolution.

PS2 to PS3.

Sony's 1st party game stepped up hard.

PS1 to PS2.
Rudimentary geometry with incorrect perspective (no Z-buffer) and choppy framrates VS complex 3D enviroments, detailed models, 30fps and 60fps games. Human charaters started to look credible and to have facial expressions.

Replicant said:
BraLoD said:

Kinda right.

The Last of Us Part II makes great looking games like Horizon look very dated, it was indeed another big jaw drop.

But PS4 games took a while to look a lot better than PS3 best games, so I still feel like PS3 to PS4 is quite less of a boost than from PS2 to PS3.

Granted, TLoU to TLoU2 was a massive jump.

Bold: I see your point though it took PS3 games quite a while to look a lot better than PS2 games as well.

In the beginning, it was mostly just higher resolution.

I dunno about that, just 1 year in PS3 got Uncharted Drake's Fortune which was a massive leap over anything on PS2.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 October 2020