By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Brands With Best-Selling Video Game Consoles 1972 - 2019

An interesting look.  Seemingly, no "traditional" handhelds.  Regardless, Nintendo is King.

Brands With Best-Selling Video Game Consoles 1972 - 2019

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:

An interesting look.  Seemingly, no "traditional" handhelds.  Regardless, Nintendo is King.

But... how is Nintendo king when Sony's bar is bigger?

JWeinCom said:
LivingMetal said:

But... how is Nintendo king when Sony's bar is bigger?

...just is. 

Handhelds in the font of the graph but they didn't even count them.

Handhelds should be counted.

Around the Network

Wait a sec. It doesn't count handhelds but it does count Nintendo Switch. I call shenanigans, I was convinced on this site that the Switch was handheld only!

Well let me just post this one then.

my friends: wait nintendo is king?
me: always has been *yeets fireball*

Dreamcast has sold 9 billion units. It still gets new games. It wins.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Have one video, all software sales, and excluded Nintendo.

Shadow1980 said:

Their graph looks like it scales oddly over time, almost as if they just calculated the brand's total sales to date and just had it grow at a constant rate since the brand's inception, regardless of how fast or slow a particular system in a given generation was selling. For example, they had PlayStation at well over 250M units sold in 2006, even though total lifetime shipments of the PlayStation brand was only at 217.85M by Dec. 30, 2006. But the PlayStation brand (sans handhelds) has sold about 450M units as of the end of 2019, so that part is accurate.

Anywho, here's a regional breakdown of the post-crash Big Four:

Nintendo is still #1 in the U.S. and Japan, but largely by virtue of being around the longest. PlayStation has managed a better average because of fewer systems. The U.S. is also the vast majority of Xbox sales since 2001, and the Xbox brand isn't terrible compared to PlayStation (approaching 28.5M per gen, vs. 34M per gen for PS) despite the massive disparity between the PS2 and OXbox.

Europe meanwhile is obviously PlayStation Country, with the brand representing the majority of all home consoles ever sold in the region. European gamers largely ignored consoles until Gen 5, at which point PlayStation quickly emerged as the clear favorite.

and the portable market?