By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Need a game for my toddler to play around with

Mario Kart 8 is the game you are looking for. It features an auto-accelerate and an auto-steer function so that your toddler doesn't even have to press any of the right buttons to complete a track. Perfect choice.

Around the Network

Fall Guys

super_etecoon said:
Mario Kart 8 is the game you are looking for. It features an auto-accelerate and an auto-steer function so that your toddler doesn't even have to press any of the right buttons to complete a track. Perfect choice.

Are these functions only in the Switch version?  I have MK8 on Wii U and don't recall those things.  

mZuzek said:
VAMatt said:

Are these functions only in the Switch version?

Yeah, they are.

I had been avoiding the Switch version on the principle that I don't want to pay Nintendo for the same game twice.  Plus, I figure the more MK8D sells, the longer it'll be before we get MK9, which is overdue already.  But, it does seem like a great game for the kid.....

Last edited by VAMatt - on 28 September 2020

mZuzek said:
VAMatt said:

I had been avoiding the Switch version on the principle that I don't want to pay Nintendo for the same game twice.  Plus, K figure the more MK8D sells, the longer it'll be before we get MK9, which is overdue already.  But, it does seem like a great game for the kid.....

MK9 isn't coming until the next generation, that much was clear the moment they announced MK8 Deluxe. Well, at least I thought it was. I hear you on the double dip thing, though, it's pretty lame they don't even give a discount to people who had the original one, but this is Nintendo and they get away with everything these days.

There are definitely other good options out there. But, it is a great one.

I still had hope that we'd get MK9 during this generation until I saw MK8D still ranking on top sales charts years after release.  At this point, the only way it comes to Switch is if there's a Switch Pro or something that extends the length of the generation. 

Around the Network

Don't pull this string. It inevitably ends with YOU playing Kung Fu Panda (or whatever game you decide on) when he gets stuck.

With that said, the first game nm my daughter ever beat was The Maw on Xbox 360. She started off with Super Rub a Dub on PS3 (a motion controlled game). Then moved on to Feeding Frenzy on Xbox 360--basically all you needed was the analog stick. I told her "Eat the fish that are smaller than you. Don't touch the fish that are bigger than you." And then I can't home from work one day and she had completely beaten The Maw. She was so proud!

Also know that, before long, she was playing GTA and being my co-op partner in games like Super Mario Galaxy and...uh Resident Evil 5. Kids don't want kid's games. They want to play what you play because what you play looks cool. But yeah, my original point: Whatever game we pick will be there game that YOU will be playing as soon as the kid gets stuck. Try a co-op game like Castle Crashers or Golden Axe. I have two nephews age 5 and 2. There's a reason games like that end up in my "Recently played" games in my sig.

Keeping an eye on this thread. I have twin toddlers (23 months old) and something else to help burn their energy isn't a bad thing.

Like others have said, the Lego series and Minecraft seem like safe bets.