By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - TV Dilemma. HELP!

Which TV would you go for?

PHILIPS Oled 754 TV 1 10.00%

Samsung Qled q75t 9 90.00%

Total:10

Is gaming the only thing you'll use it for? If it's a general use TV, and you watch movies, I'd do the OLED. If it is strictly gaming, I'd flip a coin. Both have pros and cons.

Honestly, I won't buy TVs anymore that don't have reviews on Rtings.com. There you can find technical, but understandable reviews that cover every use case that the average person will run into. There's just no good way to get real-world comparisons. So, before you settle on either of these, I'd look there and see what they have to say.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
One thing to consider is, do you do most of your gaming at night (in the dark) or during the day. OLED looks amazing in a dark room, but won't be as bright during day time compared to QLED.

33 ms input lag is fine for gaming, human reaction time is 250 ms for visual stimuli... Lower doesn't hurt though.

Reaction time has nothing to do with the perception of continuous motion. That's why it's easy for a trained eye to notice a difference between 5ms and 15ms. The difference between 33ms and 10ms is huge.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
SvennoJ said:
One thing to consider is, do you do most of your gaming at night (in the dark) or during the day. OLED looks amazing in a dark room, but won't be as bright during day time compared to QLED.

33 ms input lag is fine for gaming, human reaction time is 250 ms for visual stimuli... Lower doesn't hurt though.

Reaction time has nothing to do with the perception of continuous motion. That's why it's easy for a trained eye to notice a difference between 5ms and 15ms. The difference between 33ms and 10ms is huge.

I notice the difference when I switch tvs playing GT Sport. I have to adjust my brake points and turn in points slightly, yet after a couple races I'm tuned in to the new display lag and just as fast as before, doesn't matter which way I switch. It also doesn't matter for reacting to sudden incidents, those extra 20 ms don't do anything for that. You tune in to the display lag, as long as it's not too high your brain will filter it out just like it matches up audio with visual stimuli up to a certain delay.

Display lag also has nothing to do with perception of motion, refresh rate, image retention, ghosting / motion clarity all have to do with that. Hence rtings is such a good site to check out tvs.

SvennoJ said:
vivster said:

I notice the difference when I switch tvs playing GT Sport. I have to adjust my brake points and turn in points slightly, yet after a couple races I'm tuned in to the new display lag and just as fast as before, doesn't matter which way I switch. It also doesn't matter for reacting to sudden incidents, those extra 20 ms don't do anything for that. You tune in to the display lag, as long as it's not too high your brain will filter it out just like it matches up audio with visual stimuli up to a certain delay.

Display lag also has nothing to do with perception of motion, refresh rate, image retention, ghosting / motion clarity all have to do with that. Hence rtings is such a good site to check out tvs.

Racing games are a bad example. They're probably by far the easiest to adjust to input lag out of all the genres. Your moves are long planned ahead and there is little reacting. Those 20 or even 10ms of delay matter in games where you have to make split second decisions and fine movements every second, like shooters and Rocket League. Those milliseconds add up. I already notice how sluggish I am on a 120Hz display with over 10ms delay vs a 144Hz display with 1ms. I couldn't even imagine playing at 30ms delay without noticeably deteriorated performance. I can see that when I turn on vsync by accident.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think input lag is more of a sales gimmick than anything else, we are talking about thousandths of a second..
Anyways. I would be too scared to buy an OLED because of the risk of burn-in. Most games have on-screen elements that are stationary all the time.

Around the Network

UPDATE
so I took @Shaunodon advice. Spent a bit more and went for the LG OLED55CX6LA.
Has 4 2.1 hdmi slots, so is ready for 60fps in 120hz and a super low 1ms in game picture mode. Also the 4k HDR Oled picture is unreal both in movies and games. Spent around 3 hours messing about with the settings and it's so good. I put a couple of games on the Ps4 and it almost feels like I got a new upgraded console. The details are amazing.

So yeah thanks for all the advice peeps.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

No problem.

StokedUp said:

My two options are:

Philips Oled 754 55inch £989 ($1276)

And

Samsung Qled Q75t 55inch £999 ($1298)

Out of those two, definitely the Philips. It's actually got Dolby Vision so as more content gets released it will begin to shit all over the Samsung when it comes to colour quality. 

The response time is nice to have but will only come into play at 90fps+, as 60fps is the same as one frame per 16~ms. Not a reason to compromise on picture quality I would argue. 

The LG is better still so congrats on the new buy