By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - TV Dilemma. HELP!

Which TV would you go for?

PHILIPS Oled 754 TV 1 10.00%

Samsung Qled q75t 9 90.00%

Total:10

I didn't know whether to put this in general or gaming forums but I guess it could go in either. OK so I'm about to buy a new TV. 

Next gen is coming up and I want to be ready for it plus my current TV is old anyway. 

My two options are:

Philips Oled 754 55inch £989 ($1276)

And

Samsung Qled Q75t 55inch £999 ($1298)

They're both 4k with HDR10+ however the Philips picture is definitely more crisper with is being Oled. But it has a slow Input lag for gaming at 33ms

The Samsung has the lesser picture quality but has a gaming mode which reduces the input lag to 9ms

I'm not a pro gamer so i don't know whether I'm taking the ms too seriously however I do play on some shooters with my friends and I'd like to be half decent on them So I'm not sure whether the ms speed will make a difference. 

I'd like to know what you would do and your reasoning.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network

Input lag should be less than 20ms if you plan to game on it.

If you're looking at an OLED tv for gaming, you should be looking at LG. Specifically the LG CX which has four HDMI 2.1 slots for 4K/120hz.

If you're going for Samsung QLED, you may as well go for the Samsung Q80T, which comes with one HDMI 2.1 slot, but doesn't carry the risk of OLED burn-in (not too much of a problem if you're only gaming casually).

May be a bit more expensive, but when you're already spending that kind of money, you may as well go for the best value.

EDIT: I'll also mention that outside all the key features like HDR, VRR, low input latency etc., they both also support AMD Freesync, but only the LG supports Nvidia G-Sync. Only matters if you plan to hook a PC up to it at some point. And even then, not a huge deal.

If you want to have the best gaming experience with next gen consoles there is absolutely no way around the LG CX. I have one myself. The input lag is fine even for my #pcmasterrace sensitivity.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q80t-vs-lg-cx/1819/10619?usage=11114&threshold=0.1

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I don't think that there exist TVs that have not considered the possibility of people playing games on them by this point. What used to be called "game mode" is automatically enabled by an HDMI signal these days as I understand it.

If you're not a serious shooter player, there's no reason to concern yourself with tiny differences in input lag. The average gamer will never notice a difference of 10ms. Maybe over the entire life of the TV, it'll cost you 20 kills. And, if you are a super serious shooter player that needs low input lag, you should play with a monitor, not a TV.

Around the Network

I am considering buying a monitor for nexgen. Never played on a 144hz 1ms monitor and I guess this gen it may be worth for console gaming. Anyone who have experience with it on PC gaming can tell me how much of a game changer is it? Thanks :)

zealen said:
I am considering buying a monitor for nexgen. Never played on a 144hz 1ms monitor and I guess this gen it may be worth for console gaming. Anyone who have experience with it on PC gaming can tell me how much of a game changer is it? Thanks :)

Been playing on 144Hz for 5 years. It's a huge step up to 60Hz, not just for competitive games. I would absolutely advise against it.

120Hz is good enough and not a big difference to 144Hz. Consoles won't give you more than that. If you lock yourself to 144Hz you will also be fucked whenever it comes to display technologies. There still aren't any proper 144Hz 4k monitors which meant I could not upgrade my monitor for years because manufacturers and display standards were lacking behind. There was plenty of choice for 120Hz, but who wants to downgrade. I still consider getting that 144Hz monitor one of the biggest mistakes I made when buying hardware. I am currently in the process of getting used to 120Hz because from a consumer standpoint that is the best place to be.

Unless you really know what you're getting yourself into I would not consider a monitor for a console at all. There are plenty of alright 120Hz TVs now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

From what I know Samsung is much more trustworthy than Phillips. But for you to compare.
I don`t care about lag and input delay. But you gave very few information and unfortunatelly the site I trust more (RTING) doesn`t have neither to compare. Do you have a site you trust to compare both?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zealen said:

Well considering you are in Brazil and things cost a lot here perhaps you could look at 1080p Plasma TV. My Panasonic Viera was wonderful, it is 1ms 250Hz and great color and contrast.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

One thing to consider is, do you do most of your gaming at night (in the dark) or during the day. OLED looks amazing in a dark room, but won't be as bright during day time compared to QLED.

33 ms input lag is fine for gaming, human reaction time is 250 ms for visual stimuli... Lower doesn't hurt though.