By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So… is Ori on Switch a good or bad move from MS?

Tagged games:

Is that good or bad for MS?

good 52 76.47%

bad 5 7.35%

maybe not much effect 10 14.71%

could go either way 1 1.47%

Total:68
curl-6 said:
COKTOE said:

It was just over a year ago that MS said this wouldn't be happening any more going forward, ( it was also discussed here, at least in a news article, if not a dedicated thread ) so of course it happened.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826296/microsoft-xbox-exclusives-nintendo-switch-ps4-no-plans-comment

That was covered by multiple outlets.

As for whether it's good for MS? Good I guess. Fairly inconsequential though.

I remember calling BS on that at the time and saying we'd likely see more Xbox Game Studios titles brought to Switch, and being told that no, I was wrong, it was official from MS that there would be no more, end of story. And here we are.

Well, congrats. I have to stop being lazy and bookmark my predictions for future bragging rights/self deprication.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Exclusives only matter for so long. After the game has been out for a while, it isn’t really helping the console much by staying exclusive. Honestly, I think all console makers should treat their first party games as timed exclusives. After a year or two, port them to the other consoles. Increase sales and fan bases for your games while still retaining the biggest sales and hardware impact for your system.

To me it's good cos I get to play it

COKTOE said:

It was just over a year ago that MS said this wouldn't be happening any more going forward, ( it was also discussed here, at least in a news article, if not a dedicated thread ) so of course it happened.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826296/microsoft-xbox-exclusives-nintendo-switch-ps4-no-plans-comment

Then again it’s a small scale game. Far different then say Halo or Gears. And going to Nintendo isn’t the same as going to Sony. This is an exception to the rule that shouldn’t make anybody upset and is mutually beneficial. Nintendo fans get a great game and the Xbox brand gets a little more exposure outside the ecosystem 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Of course it is. They also released Ori and the wild forest on Switch. Not sure if it sold big numbers on there, but it does seem like the perfect ip for the Nintendo crowd.

Around the Network
JCGamer55 said:
Microsoft is definitely not looking at the videogame industry in the traditional way. I agree that they are looking outside the console manufacturers and are expanding their business to compete with Microsoft's actual competitors: Google, Apple, Amazon...

Another thing I believe people are missing the picture is that MS had to start developing their First party games on the PC.  The reason is in order for game pass to reach the number of subs to make the service viable they need more than the amount of user that a console hardware will acquire.  MS needs at least 150 million subs or better to make gamepass work the way they are probably projecting.  MS isn't in the console hardware war anymore then are in the service business and the hardware is secondary to the service.  They will still develop hardware because locking in those subs through hardware is still a good business plan but I doubt they will lose leader it anymore.  Instead they will do like their surface line and other hardware bits.  Create high end hardware to compete with their competitor but still push their services to as many platforms as possible because revenue from services is a steady stream that pays for development even R/D.

sales2099 said:
COKTOE said:

Then again it’s a small scale game. Far different then say Halo or Gears. And going to Nintendo isn’t the same as going to Sony. This is an exception to the rule that shouldn’t make anybody upset and is mutually beneficial. Nintendo fans get a great game and the Xbox brand gets a little more exposure outside the ecosystem 

Plus that Verge article linked was quoting from an interview where the new studios MS bought were discussed. Microsoft said those studios had existing arrangements for games like Wasteland and Outer Worlds but going forward, those studios will make games only for MS platforms. Nothing about Ori or Moon Studios, which isn't a first party studio.