By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So… is Ori on Switch a good or bad move from MS?

Tagged games:

Is that good or bad for MS?

good 52 76.47%

bad 5 7.35%

maybe not much effect 10 14.71%

could go either way 1 1.47%

Total:68

Putting this incredible game that's free on Game Pass on the fastest selling hardware of a "non-competitor" where it costs money?

Could be bad. Could be good.

The way I see it, putting games on nintendo devices might make gamers think "Maybe we were wrong about Xbox. They have some pretty good games that we've been missing out on". And maybe they'll buy an Xbox console.

Same with gamepads on mobile.

Around the Network

I dont see how it is a bad thing. In fact using the Switch momentum to increase your IP awareness is a good thing. Which im still shocked not more third party devs are doing the same.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

RolStoppable said:
ironmanDX said:
I'm starting to think it's a strategy to get more people to consider getting the Xbox as their secondary console next generation compared to PlayStation

If I'm right in assuming you need to actually create an MS/Xbox account or have one already to play. Same goes for Minecraft dungeons I've been told... Not sure about Minecraft itself though or Cuphead.

Would be strange if you needed an Xbox account to play an offline game. But yes, if you want to use online functionality, you certainly have to have an Xbox account for Microsoft's games on Switch (Minecraft and its Dungeon spinoff).

As for an underlying strategy, it's very likely that there is one. Microsoft doesn't really lose a bad word about Nintendo and they seemingly enjoy being on good terms with Nintendo fans. At the same time though, I doubt that it will work. Nintendo fans will take the games, but won't buy another console. Pretty much in the same way that PC gamers will take Microsoft's games, but not buy an Xbox.

Honestly games on a Nintendo system from Microsoft shouldn't matter. It is the hardware and their policies that do.

To me Microsoft appears they want to get things right. My favourite part of the console is that expandable memory slot. If it is hot swapable then great. 

The biggest dilemma is the damn 3080 is so damn nuts in terms of power which will help with ray tracing a lo it makes you contemplate do you go PC or do you go the console route. 

Jranation said:
I dont see how it is a bad thing. In fact using the Switch momentum to increase your IP awareness is a good thing. Which im still shocked not more third party devs are doing the same.

Its been said before but it's sad that a hardware competitor has done more to support the Switch with significant, relevant games than a lot of 3rd party publishers. 

As to if it's a good or bad thing: when Microsoft decided to put all their games on PC day-one and go all-in on gamepass accessibility, the value of Xbox exclusivity dropped significantly.  At this point, they should be putting whatever they can on the Switch that isn't a big title.  So, while I don't expect Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, Hellblade II or other notable games to be make appearances on Nintendo hardware, complimentary, smaller titles like Ori, Cuphead and others should be fair game as long as Microsoft and Nintendo aren't direct competitors.

Microsoft is definitely not looking at the videogame industry in the traditional way. I agree that they are looking outside the console manufacturers and are expanding their business to compete with Microsoft's actual competitors: Google, Apple, Amazon...

Around the Network

One more thing in defense of this: Even back in the days of the original Xbox, Microsoft games appeared on Nintendo platforms (The GBA to be specific).

The assertion that Ori and the Will of the Wisps releasing on Switch is the "final nail in the coffin" for Xbox Series is a hilariously bad take, but again, anyone familiar with this particular individual shouldn't be surprised, they're a textbook console warrior.

It was just over a year ago that MS said this wouldn't be happening any more going forward, ( it was also discussed here, at least in a news article, if not a dedicated thread ) so of course it happened.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826296/microsoft-xbox-exclusives-nintendo-switch-ps4-no-plans-comment

That was covered by multiple outlets.

As for whether it's good for MS? Good I guess. Fairly inconsequential though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:

It was just over a year ago that MS said this wouldn't be happening any more going forward, ( it was also discussed here, at least in a news article, if not a dedicated thread ) so of course it happened.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/21/20826296/microsoft-xbox-exclusives-nintendo-switch-ps4-no-plans-comment

That was covered by multiple outlets.

As for whether it's good for MS? Good I guess. Fairly inconsequential though.

I remember calling BS on that at the time and saying we'd likely see more Xbox Game Studios titles brought to Switch, and being told that no, I was wrong, it was official from MS that there would be no more, end of story. And here we are.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 September 2020

padib said:

Microsoft has been releasing games on Nintendo consoles since they became a platform maker.

Diddy Kong Pilot GBA (2002)
Saberwulf GBA (2004)
Minecraft WiiU (2014)
Ori and the blind forest (2019)
Cuphead (2019)

It has nothing to do with them becoming derelict and giving up and abandoning their business. That is a really emotional thing to say and really sad.

You're missing a few. Just off the top of my head, MechAssault and Age Of Empires were on the DS, and I remember those because I owned both of them. Could be more.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 20 September 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."