By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 price.....what if.....

Just a thought on PS5 pricing, with MSFT putting out their two models at £249 for the S and £449 for the X.....

What would happen if Sony put their two models out at £249 for the No Disk version and £349 for the Disk version.

It would of course cause Sony to lose money (probably around £100) on each console at least whilst manufacturing costs are high but would have the effect of pretty much killing off the Xbox at launch when it comes to people who are on the fence wanting a console.  It would also put massive pressures on production which they simply wouldnt be able to meet which would in turn force people towards Xbox just because thats whats available.  I'm sure sony would recoup their losses on hardware many times over with software sales, subscriptions and peripherals.  I guess lots of these different ideas on pricing are being gamed in Sony's HQ.

Anyway just a thought/pipedream.

Around the Network

We already have a thread this topic.

The PS5 will be priced at 499 and 399 respectively. SONY does not have react to MS, because unlike MS, SONY actually has the brand power to sell their products at those prices. Do understand MS has to do cheaper model thing to even have chance at truly competing this gen. Get it out of your head it will be cheaper.

Let's just wait until tomorrow shall we?

Xxain said:

The PS5 will be priced at 499 and 399 respectively. SONY does not have react to MS, because unlike MS, SONY actually has the brand power to sell their products at those prices. Do understand MS has to do cheaper model thing to even have chance at truly competing this gen. Get it out of your head it will be cheaper.

I don't think this statement is accurate. Sony did react to MS based on all the leaks which state PS5 was supposed to be more expensive. My guess is that Sony thought MS was aiming for $599 for disc Series X which means Sony would have done same price for PS5 and $499 for discless PS5. I also think the fact that they are reducing production of PS5 is in response to the cheaper Xbox so they can mitigate some of the costs and avoiding losing a crap load of money for each PS5 sold.

Sony can match Series X at $499 and easily coast on brand name. There is no need to really go below.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I hope PS5 comes out with a $498 price tag just for the sake of trolling.

Soonerman said:
Xxain said:

I don't think this statement is accurate. Sony did react to MS based on all the leaks which state PS5 was supposed to be more expensive. My guess is that Sony thought MS was aiming for $599 for disc Series X which means Sony would have done same price for PS5 and $499 for discless PS5. I also think the fact that they are reducing production of PS5 is in response to the cheaper Xbox so they can mitigate some of the costs and avoiding losing a crap load of money for each PS5 sold.

What leaks? Every price leak/estimate/guess has ALWAYS placed PS5 with a 499/399 price tag. What evidence do you have in regards to reduction reason? We were just told why SONY reduced PS shipments. SONY's all over the place target goals to do with trying but take into how things like covid and politics will effect next gen release. The only time I think SONY reacted to MS was the out of nowhere announcement of the series X.   

Xxain said:

What leaks? Every price leak/estimate/guess has ALWAYS placed PS5 with a 499/399 price tag. What evidence do you have in regards to reduction reason? We were just told why SONY reduced PS shipments. SONY's all over the place target goals to do with trying but take into how things like covid and politics will effect next gen release. The only time I think SONY reacted to MS was the out of nowhere announcement of the series X.   

Sony is expected to announce details such as price and release date at the PS5 related video event to be held on the 17th. Masahiro Wakasugi, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, expects the cheapest case to be priced at $ 449 for a model with a disk drive and $ 399 for a model without a disk drive.

I wonder if many people will take the bait for the digital only version. The early $100 saving on the hardware seems a very poor trade for the ability to buy retail, both new and used (and just lending games to each other).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

How about if they put PS5 at $99.95 CAD.