I'm crying like Matthew McConaughey 5 13.89%

I'm excited 4 11.11%

I'm skeptical 9 25.00%

This is doubtful 12 33.33%

False, it's false I say! 5 13.89%

Where's my life alert? 1 2.78%

Total:36
Ljink96 said:
This would be a megaton, but I lean more towards doubting this. Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship has improved greatly since then so anything is possible. With the uncertainty of the Mario & Luigi series, who knows where Mario RPGs will go from here. I personally think the Mario & Luigi series has gotten stale and the RPG genre and Mario need a shakeup. This would do it.

Really?

Square Enix holds their games ransom, because they know if they hold out long enough, Nintendo will bend over and do it. They've been doing that since the Wii/DS age. They dont do that SONY. All those SE games that Nintendo published, if they PS games, SE would have published them promptly.  

Around the Network

Too good to be true

No way this is true...but it would be one of the best comeback announcements of all time...The only games that could top it if they were to be announced would be Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

Comicbook.com floods my facebook with clickbait all the time, so I'm not inclined to believe this. Their source is a random twitter user... Dunno if they're credible, the article doesn't say anything, but if they were, I'd imagine some more legitimate outlets might take notice. So, not paying this any mind.

If only , I need real Mario RPGs back.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
This would be a megaton, but I lean more towards doubting this. Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship has improved greatly since then so anything is possible. With the uncertainty of the Mario & Luigi series, who knows where Mario RPGs will go from here. I personally think the Mario & Luigi series has gotten stale and the RPG genre and Mario need a shakeup. This would do it.

A shakeup would consist of a throwback title specifically catering to people who played a game from 25 years ago? 

I mean, I get what you mean don't get me wrong, but nonetheless it's funny. 

Xxain said:
Ljink96 said:

Really?

Square Enix holds their games ransom, because they know if they hold out long enough, Nintendo will bend over and do it. They've been doing that since the Wii/DS age. They dont do that SONY. All those SE games that Nintendo published, if they PS games, SE would have published them promptly.  

I'm not really in the mood to argue over publishing and who does what in terms of publishing but yes compared to where Nintendo and Square were and where they are now their relationship is much better. At least Nintendo gets Square Enix games now. And when I say Square Enix I'm mostly talking about Square. Enix and Nintendo retained and still have a great relationship in terms of software releases from the NES to the Switch. The first Dragon Quest game was published by Nintendo in the US, doesn't mean that meant Nintendo and Enix were in a rocky relationship far from it. It had to do more with understanding the market.

On Nintendo Switch, the Dragon Quest 1-3 remasters, FFCC, FFVII, VIII, IX, FFX-X2HD, XII, Collection of Saga, Romancing Saga II, FFXV Pocket, World of FF Maxima etc. are all published by Square Enix. 

There are reasons why I feel Nintendo chooses to publish some SE's games outside the US now. But that would only be speculation. The fact of the matter is that compared to the late 90's, things are much better and could facilitate more collaboration between Nintendo and SE. I know it's kind of wishful thinking as I feel some of SE's divisions feel they've outgrown this kind of work, but hey we can dream. 

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 13 September 2020

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Ljink96 said:

A shakeup would consist of a throwback title specifically catering to people who played a game from 25 years ago? 

I mean, I get what you mean don't get me wrong, but nonetheless it's funny. 

Well, it doesn't have to be a 1:1 recreation of SMRPG with a new story and prettied up. It's been 24 years since the original, I think they'd have new ideas and not just rely on SMRPG as reference material. I feel Nintendo and SE could play off of eachother's ideas (what they've learned since 1995-96) and create something that easily surpasses the original SMRPG. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
BraLoD said:
Superstar Saga is SMR2

I thought Paper Mario 64 had more in common with Super Mario RPG than Superstar Saga? Think that game literally started as Super Mario RPG 2. 

They technically take place in the same Galaxy. Galaxy shows us the Mario universe exists in Andromeda Galaxy, and M&L Paper Jam shows us that Paper Mario's world exists inside of a book found within M&L, so in a way they are both successors to SMRPG.

rapsuperstar31 said:
No way this is true...but it would be one of the best comeback announcements of all time...The only games that could top it if they were to be announced would be Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

So, on a scale of screaming like Pierce Brosnan and having your head explode, how would you react if all three of those games had modern day sequels released in the same year?