By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts August 2020 Discussion Thread

this holiday for the switch is going to be mental

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I expect a lower november but when PS5 and XSX run out of stock Dec will be HUGE

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Do you make the regional graphs after we get NPD data?

kirby007 said:
I expect a lower november but when PS5 and XSX run out of stock Dec will be HUGE

IIRC, it isn't uncommon for existing systems to beat out the newer ones. Switch could beat both systems just on the fact they'll have more units available and have a larger library. Switch's sales are going to come down to if they actually have a holiday title or not. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

At this point with the covid boost being at least mostly over, the 360 having an extra year and both Sony and Microsoft seeming like they'll stop producing many current gen systems soon the gap should now shrink every month and when the PS4 and Xbone reach their final sales the difference will probably be small. If stock stops being produced soon enough I could even see gen 7 winning in the end by a couple million or so which would be quite the reversal from an almost 25 million deficit at the peak. Either way the totals for both will be similar which shows that combined sales for PS and Xbox consoles have been stable which while kinda disappointing considering population growth and maturing markets is far better than a decline. I wonder if combined gen 9 PS and Xbox sales will also be stable or will expand or even shrink instead.

Last edited by Norion - on 07 September 2020

Around the Network

Wii shot out to an early lead, but Switch is gaining on the Wii fast.  Closing the gap by 570k in one month is huge.  There isn't the holidays and the COVID bump is over.  It's just that Switch is gaining 570k on the Wii in a typical, boring month now.  It should be able to pass the Wii by the end of the holidays.

So in the last 12 months, Switch has gained by almost as much as Wii's total launch aligned lead.
With what should be Switch's biggest holiday season coming up, and Wii passed its peak, the tables are about to turn.

May 870k
June 897k
July 598k
August 603k
September 700k
October 688k

Wii Sales for the next 6 months (For Switch, this is Sept. to February) for reference. Taken from VGChartz's database.

Last edited by PDiddy - on 09 September 2020

Every time that chart gets updated makes it even funnier that some people as late as 2019 thought the Switch would have similar sales as the 3DS. At this point the Switch should outsell the 3DS by at least 50 million and the 3DS and Wii U combined by at least 35 million so it's a really successful successor to both.

trunkswd said:

Be sure to share this article here.

Switch vs 3DS Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Nears 20 Million in August 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,032,740 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 14,124,995 - Switch

Total Lead: 19,941,994 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 63,403,962

3DS Total Sales: 43,461,968

August 2020 is the 42nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.03 million units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 14.12 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 19.94 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. This does mean the holidays for the two platforms do lineup.

The 42nd month for the Nintendo Switch is August 2020 and for the Nintendo 3DS it is August 2014. The Switch has sold 63.40 million units, while the 3DS sold 43.46 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.78 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently 12.38 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

It's basically a reverse cliff at this point, with Switch climbing upwards near vertically while 3DS muddles along towards a lifetime total that Switch will probably overtake by the end of the year.