By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia Ampere announced, 3090, 3080, 3070 coming later this year

The PSU Calculator by Outervision was updated to include 3000 series cards if you guys are curious:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Nvidia is not just killing it, they are murdering them.
3090 it is for now. Need to see that cards benchmarks.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

shikamaru317 said:

However, you also have to remember than 3070 is $500 for just a GPU, an entire PC built around a 3070 will probably cost you around $1200. Series X and PS5 will be $500 tops, they will still be price/performance kings later this year. 

Well,

thousands of my PC games will take advantage of the extra performance, no "Pro patch", "X patch", "Smart delivery patch", "PS5 patch" needed.

But only a fraction of my PS4 or XBO games will take advantage of the extra performance of PS5 or XSX (except faster loading times).

Captain_Yuri said:
The PSU Calculator by Outervision was updated to include 3000 series cards if you guys are curious:

SF750 just about cuts it. I would recommend 850W for anyone though.

I think I've underestimated the potential of Nvidia's progress. Buying 2060 Super two months ago now seems like it was a very bad idea. Should have waited for 3070.

Soundwave said:
The PS5/XSX will struggle to keep up with these 30-series cards, lol, not the other way around.

They will be fine as long as they don't go over 499$. But with these cards on the market, if I were MS or Sony, I would go for 399$ whatever it takes. Even at 499 these consoles won't look that great now tbh.

Around the Network

I guess im not the only one who saw a disparity with the TFlop number advertise and the performance gained advertised. did NVIDIA cards became less efficient with this gen? Does it have anything to do with TSMC abandoning them and the poor quality of samsung?

Does anybody know the size of these chips in comparison to touring? Just some rumors I heard that they are going with a huge chip to get more performance. Judging by the watt needed it seems that it might be the case.

I dont know guys, but the rumors seem sorta accurate and AMD seems to be going to give NVIDIA a run for its money. While I dont think they could possibly match the 3090, AMD did claim 2x of the 5700xt wich will be around of the 3080. If they price it right now that nvidea went first I see a big blow out in the future.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

derpysquirtle64 said:

I think I've underestimated the potential of Nvidia's progress. Buying 2060 Super two months ago now seems like it was a very bad idea. Should have waited for 3070.

Soundwave said:
The PS5/XSX will struggle to keep up with these 30-series cards, lol, not the other way around.

They will be fine as long as they don't go over 499$. But with these cards on the market, if I were MS or Sony, I would go for 399$ whatever it takes. Even at 499 these consoles won't look that great now tbh.

I dont know about that. 3070 just seems a bit better than a 2080ti while having 7 tfops more at $500. only a little bit better than an xsx for the same price while still needing the rest of the pc. At $500 theese consoles will be fine. But I agree that the lower the better.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

I dont know about that. 3070 just seems a bit better than a 2080ti while having 7 tfops more at $500. only a little bit better than an xsx for the same price while still needing the rest of the pc. At $500 theese consoles will be fine. But I agree that the lower the better.

It's not about 7 tflops more, it's about having an extra almost 50% of processing power than Series X and 70% for PS5 respectively. I'm not saying that these consoles are doomed at 499$, they will still sell pretty well. Just stating the fact that if until this announcement 499$ seemed like a very appealing price point for these cutting-edge technology consoles, now they are not so cutting-edge. Yeah, the general consumer probably doesn't care anyway but lowering the price to 449 or 399 would probably make the consoles more appealing.

Captain_Yuri said:

Thanks pal! Looks like my 750W PSU with Ryzen 7 3700X is good to go.

eva01beserk said:
I guess im not the only one who saw a disparity with the TFlop number advertise and the performance gained advertised. did NVIDIA cards became less efficient with this gen? Does it have anything to do with TSMC abandoning them and the poor quality of samsung?

Does anybody know the size of these chips in comparison to touring? Just some rumors I heard that they are going with a huge chip to get more performance. Judging by the watt needed it seems that it might be the case.

I dont know guys, but the rumors seem sorta accurate and AMD seems to be going to give NVIDIA a run for its money. While I dont think they could possibly match the 3090, AMD did claim 2x of the 5700xt wich will be around of the 3080. If they price it right now that nvidea went first I see a big blow out in the future.

The's more to it than TFlops as for a start AMD TFlops aren't the same as Nvidia's which is why the 2080Ti is so significantly above the 5700xt another thing is features like dlss and such which reduce required power for better output as seen in Death Stranding's PC version you can play and have 4K visuals at 60fps with out actually having to run the game at 4K. AMD so far hasn't got an answer for certain things and are only just entering the Raytracing arena now with their upcoming cards, at the prices Nvidia announced today pricing it right literally means their GPUs will have to be in bargain and budget PC range now AMD all of a sudden have a tricky fight to deal with now.