By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia Ampere announced, 3090, 3080, 3070 coming later this year

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:
Not good enough, RDNA2 will beat it.

Considering you made predictions that were just smashed today, I'd hold off on anything outlandish for a while. :)

Let the man dream. When RDNA 2 comes out and if it turns out to be yawn worthy, he will say wait for RDNA 3.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

3080, I'm on auto notify. Better not let me know when I'm asleep. Funny that my radeon VII has actually paid for this upgrade, sold it a couple of weeks ago for £670, 3080 is £649.

Captain_Yuri said:
CGI-Quality said:

Considering you made predictions that were just smashed today, I'd hold off on anything outlandish for a while. :)

Let the man dream. When RDNA 2 comes out and if it turns out to be yawn worthy, he will say wait for RDNA 3.

Navi will be good, no way we would be having these competitive prices from Nvidia.

Random_Matt said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Navi will be good, no way we would be having these competitive prices from Nvidia.

It will be good, the problem is, I doubt it will be great! I agree that it's thanks to AMD's potential competitiveness that allows Nvidia to not charge the price of your first born child. The problem is, AMD needs to have multi-generational leap at this rate to go against Nvidia's best. Otherwise Nvidia will keep on coming out with these cards and lowering the price to compete against whatever AMD comes out with. Not to mention AMD doesn't even have an answer to DLSS yet.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

shikamaru317 said:
Trumpstyle said:
Not good enough, RDNA2 will beat it.

I wish it was so, but to be honest I don't see it happening. AMD themselves said RDNA 2 is a 1.5x performance per watt improvement over RDNA 1, while Nvidia is claiming a 1.9x performance per watt improvement over Turing, and Turing was already ahead of RDNA in performance per watt, so at the very least Nvidia will win on performance per watt it seems. 3080 already has a massive TDP of 320 watts, if AMD is indeed behind in performance per watt, I just can't see them beating the 3080 on performance. I suspect the rumor that the top of the line RDNA card offers 30% better performance than 2080 ti is true, which would put it between the 3070 and 3080 in terms of performance. 

Where AMD can shine those is price/performance ratio. If they can offer better than 3070 performance at a lower price, say $450, they will be in a good position for sure. AMD should also aim to get their mid-range RDNA 2 cards out this year, since it seems like mid-range Ampere might not come until next year.

Ampere doesn't have 1.9x Perf/W improvement, it has around 1.15x, w8 for reviews. 1.9x is just a marketing number.

Geforce 3080, around 40% faster than geforce 2080 ti, in 4k (4.5/3.2 = 40%). I expected Geforce 3090 (350W) to land 50% faster than 2080 ti in 4k games:

Note this is Nvidia choosing games that favor them too, there's nothing to worry about, RDNA2 will beat this.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network

Hot Damn at RTX3080, AMD graphics division should be disbanded after this RTX30XX series.

DF has their hands on with the RTX 3080. No real framerates yet because it's under embargo but they do give performance improvements numbers going from 2080 to 3080.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-hands-on-with-nvidia-rtx-3080

CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

What you mean, I nailed everything on Ampere with precise precision.

You didn't and you couldn't have because most others didn't either (specifically the CUDA counts). You also said we'd see no Ampere cards this year. So, you have to take some Ls, I'm afraid.

Also, to folks discussing pricing, it isn't just AMD's potentially competitiveness. Remember, we're still in a global pandemic.

Hehe okey you remember, you got me there. Yeah I thought Ampere would release next year. I like to make very early and bold predictions. But I changed this a few months ago and said Ampere would release before RDNA2. The Cuda cores, it was speculated that Nvidia would have something 2x FP32, but it doesn't change the performance numbers.

Geforce 3090 around 30-50% faster than geforce 2080 ti (depending on games and resolution) and around 80% faster RTX performance, it's not enough. RDNA2 will beat this. Ofc nothing is certain intill it is.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

AbbathTheGrim said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Here's the official numbers for Founders Edition cards:

3090 - 3080 - 3070

Nice.

So the 12-pin connector was not for this series then.

Captain_Yuri said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Nice.

Yep, another thing the leakers were wrong about.

Dude, what are you talking about? The only thing the leakers were wrong about is that the 12 Pin would only be on the 3090. All throughout the presentation in all of the renders you can see the 12 pin on the 3080.

It says 2x 8 Pin because you will get an adapter with the card. So yeah, you only need 2x 8pin, but you will also need the adapter.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Nice.

Captain_Yuri said:

Yep, another thing the leakers were wrong about.

Dude, what are you talking about? The only thing the leakers were wrong about is that the 12 Pin would only be on the 3090. All throughout the presentation in all of the renders you can see the 12 pin on the 3080.

Dang I didn't zoom in and went by what their website said. Nvm I guess they will provide an adapter.