By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe: 7GB/s Read, 5GB/s Write

This is really nice :) Wish I could use that.

Just upgraded my whole system (was planning to buy a dual 2080 a month ago and finally waited for the 30xx cards, glad I did).

- MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE LGA 1200 Intel Z490
- i9-10900k

For the SSD, I went with 2 SN750. Was hesitating between EVO 970 Plus and the WD but I got both of them (1TB for 120 CND each which is a really good deal).
As there is no PCIe 4.0 for Intel anyway (as of now), I'll be fine with that but maybe will upgrade the SSD if Intel finally move to 5.0 at some point :)

Have received everything already (new case, PSU and CORSAIR Vengence memory too) but will keep them in their boxes until I get my hand on a 3080 or 3090, don't know yet which one. I will decide when those cards are available and go with my heart :)

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yeah, the best ones out for Gen 3 (ex. the EVO Plus) in addition to all of the newer Gen 4 ones should do fine. 

Hmmm don't the drives need to be faster than 5,5GB/s speed? 980 pro might not meet the requirement as it has 5GB/s write speed.

Why would write speed matter, that's just relevant to copy or install? It can be as low as 1GB/s. As long as the read speed is fast enough and can be sustained.

This drive costs 229USD and will be a good expansion for PS5. I believe the Sony one is a custom Samsung 980 QVO at its core so quite a bit cheaper due to the use of QLC instead of TLC for this one.

I think the 980 QVO or Evo or whatever branding they'll choose will be good for PS5. I think the difference for the 1TB version between the pro and Evo were always around 50 dollars.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

CGI-Quality said:
haxxiy said:
Do NVMe drives nowadays, for gaming, outperform common SSDs or there is still little to no difference?

Still no (or little) difference. NVIDIA RTX IO is looking to change that.

Isn't that basically what Nvidia calls their proprietary application of DirectStorage?

If so, then the bulk of the benefits should come to every DX12 title that decides to use it in the future regardless of the GPU. And likely RDNA2 will have hardware acceleration of its own, since both consoles do.

When will 8 TB Nvme come out?

CGI-Quality said:
Bristow9091 said:

Question; Is this the kind of hard drive we need to buy to expand next gen console storage? Also, how does this compare to what the PS5 has?

Although a little difficult to compare 1:1 with the PS5, from just a speed perspective, its theoretical top-end read speed beats PS5's uncompressed speed of 5.5GB/s. That said, the PS5's is also tailor made to do what it's doing, so 3rd party games may actually still load faster on the console.

As for expanding storage, it's basically the idea, but the PS5 may require a drive more designed with something like it in mind for the best performance. Remains to be seen!

also to note its extremely unlikely a develop[er on pc with code their game with a 980 ground up

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
elazz said:
Trumpstyle said:

Hmmm don't the drives need to be faster than 5,5GB/s speed? 980 pro might not meet the requirement as it has 5GB/s write speed.

Why would write speed matter, that's just relevant to copy or install? It can be as low as 1GB/s. As long as the read speed is fast enough and can be sustained.

This drive costs 229USD and will be a good expansion for PS5. I believe the Sony one is a custom Samsung 980 QVO at its core so quite a bit cheaper due to the use of QLC instead of TLC for this one.

I think the 980 QVO or Evo or whatever branding they'll choose will be good for PS5. I think the difference for the 1TB version between the pro and Evo were always around 50 dollars.

Has Sony even provided information on how fast their drives can perform writes? 5.5GBG/s is the read speed, which is always faster than the write speed due to the way reads/writes work with NAND.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--