By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe: 7GB/s Read, 5GB/s Write

CGI-Quality said:
Bristow9091 said:

Question; Is this the kind of hard drive we need to buy to expand next gen console storage? Also, how does this compare to what the PS5 has?

Although a little difficult to compare 1:1 with the PS5, from just a speed perspective, its theoretical top-end read speed beats PS5's uncompressed speed of 5.5GB/s. That said, the PS5's is also tailor made to do what it's doing, so 3rd party games may actually still load faster on the console.

As for expanding storage, it's basically the idea, but the PS5 may require a drive more designed with something like it in mind for the best performance. Remains to be seen!

Dosent help sony has been silent. I would be be happy if they could take any ssd and you just could not play a game from it. Just swap files if need be. I'm sure a slow ssd is still fast enough to just swap files quickly.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Pointless elitist tech.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
Pointless elitist tech.

I know you are baiting... However, just because it might be pointless for you... Does not mean it is pointless to users such as myself or CGI who would probably benefit greatly from the increased performance to our workflows.

Faster game load times is just icing on the cake.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Sadly next-gen consoles won't be able to take advantage of the next gen PCI-E 5.0 SSD's that are a year or two away from releasing, but they will be able to saturate the PCI-E 4.0 buses.

Good enough. They will be costly, I think, already.

KingofTrolls said:
Pemalite said:

Sadly next-gen consoles won't be able to take advantage of the next gen PCI-E 5.0 SSD's that are a year or two away from releasing, but they will be able to saturate the PCI-E 4.0 buses.

Good enough. They will be costly, I think, already.

It's basically replacing the Samsung 970 Pro SSD's. So if you were already looking at those, these are the successors.

The 970 Pro 256GB SSD slotted in at around $225 Australian which is very decent competitive pricing for the performance it delivers, no one is able to get to price SSD's to insane levels in the PC space because of how much competition there is... Unlike the spinning rust/mechanical hard drive market there are dozens of drive manufacturers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

"The 980 PRO’s manufacturer’s suggested retail prices start at $89.99 for the 250GB model"

Huh... That's a lot cheaper than I was expecting for the "Pro" branding as that is the same MSRP that the 970 Evo started at. It does make sense due to the fact that it's not using MLC but still, I was expecting some sort of a premium so this is a nice surprise.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Yuri said:
"The 980 PRO’s manufacturer’s suggested retail prices start at $89.99 for the 250GB model"

Huh... That's a lot cheaper than I was expecting for the "Pro" branding as that is the same MSRP that the 970 Evo started at. It does make sense due to the fact that it's not using MLC but still, I was expecting some sort of a premium so this is a nice surprise.

You mean SLC?

And yes, it's cheap. NVMEs will continue to get cheaper thanks to taking this route.

If I remember correctly, the pro drives used 2 bit which is MLC and not 1 bit which is SLC. This one uses 3 bit so it should be TLC but I could be wrong.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Yuri said:

If I remember correctly, the pro drives used 2 bit which is MLC and not 1 bit which is SLC. This one uses 3 bit so it should be TLC but I could be wrong.

The 980 Pro is an MLC drive, which is why it is so cheap.

Well Samsung's marketing says it's MLC but it's actually TLC hence the bits. 3 bit = TLC, 2 bit = MLC and 1 bit = SLC.

https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-hardware/slc-vs-mlc-vs-tlc-nand-flash.html

Even the reviews are saying the same thing.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_980_pro_1tb_nvme_ssd_review,2.html

"The NAND storage store methodology for the 980 Pro is TLC based (so three bits per cell written), and not MLC as opposed to the documentation."

TLC is the cheap one, true MLC has been the expensive one in the consumer targetted drives like the 970 Pro as those used 2 bit MLC.

Do NVMe drives nowadays, for gaming, outperform common SSDs or there is still little to no difference?

CGI-Quality said:
Hiku said:

Yeah, they said you'd need an SSD that's a bit faster than theirs to make up for the difference, but there may be SSD drives on the market that will function similarly to the PS5's, so you wouldn't need to get one that's faster.

We'll have to wait for them to announce which ones are compatible.

Yeah, the best ones out for Gen 3 (ex. the EVO Plus) in addition to all of the newer Gen 4 ones should do fine. 

Hmmm don't the drives need to be faster than 5,5GB/s speed? 980 pro might not meet the requirement as it has 5GB/s write speed.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!