By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe: 7GB/s Read, 5GB/s Write

6.9GB/sec

Now we just need Intel to hurry up with their PCI-E 4.0 motherboards. It's crazy that even after a year since AMD launched their PCI-E 4.0 motherboards, Intel still doesn't have it.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Benefits to your average person = zero.
Happy with my MP600

CGI-Quality said:
Random_Matt said:
Benefits to your average person = zero.
Happy with my MP600

And yet, you bought a 4.9GB/s NVMe drive.

What makes that a benefit to the average person and the new ones not?

True, but I'm on X570 and it wasn't that expensive. But it probably doesn't benefit me either.

CGI-Quality said:
Random_Matt said:

True, but I'm on X570 and it wasn't that expensive. But it probably doesn't benefit me either.

It doesn't hurt anything and the prospect of more games taking advantage of these drives grows by the day.

Hope so.

Waiting for this one since building Ryzen 3000 PC last year.

Around the Network

Nice, that should help games like fs 2020 and star citizen a bit. The 1tb 970 pro is close to CAD 500 here. Might as well buy a second ps5 to 'expand storage' :)

Awesome news!

Hope this will make the list of PlayStation 5 compatible SSD's. I want to get the most storage possible in place, because I am expecting it to fill up real fast.

I'll have to look into upgrading my PC next holiday. Need to look into PCIe 5.0 development before I make the plunge though.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

PCI-E 5.0 should bring with it some tangible benefits for nvme drives... With drives up-to 16GB/s for the nvme form factor. 128GB/s for PCI-E add-in cards.
That SSD bandwidth is more than the memory bandwidth of the WiiU.

NAND is improving at a rapid pace... And PCI-E is struggling to keep up, PCI-E 5.0 should drop in 2022 for consumer markets.
Intel will have PCI-E 5.0 boards in 2021, but they are socket LGA4677, xeon/workstation/server stuff.

Sadly next-gen consoles won't be able to take advantage of the next gen PCI-E 5.0 SSD's that are a year or two away from releasing, but they will be able to saturate the PCI-E 4.0 buses.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Sounds good, has thier been a price or atleast speculation on what one of these SSDs are worth? Ill be upgrading soon once the 3080 is out and i might just hold out for this super fast SSD.

shikamaru317 said:

That's going to be pricey. The 970 Pro is going for $320 on Amazon right now. 980 EVO Plus will be a much better deal price/performance wise. 970 EVO PLUS is $190 compared to $320 for the 970 Pro.  

Sounds like I'm not expanding my ps5's storage un the future. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.