By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Starting Skyrim - for real this time (I hope). Some questions

So, I may sound like I was under a rock or so, but when Skyrim got released I was playing too much Monster Hunter to even care. I think I got it for Steam some time after the release, started it a few times but never really committed to the game more than some minutes. I want to do it properly now, and gonna play it on the Switch (got that right at launch to support big games on the platform, as I often do). But some things bother me, and I don't want to go through general forums to solve them because after such a long time they are sure to be filled with spoilers. So, what I want to know is:

1. What to keep in the inventory and what to let go? I remember that in one of those first attempts with the game carrying many things started to make me become heavy and that slowed down the movements. But I did not know what could be safely discarded (and would not make me regret it later on) or sold. Any pointers?

2. I will probably have only one file of play, because my gigantic backlog will not allow multiple playthroughs. I know that Bretons are considered good, but what would be the most "satisfying" race for a long playthrough, especially at endgame? The one who feels the most "accomplished" if you know what I mean, as in what is the one race that benefits most from growing during the campaign?, if that makes any sense.

Any other spoiler free general tip is also highly appreciated.

Cheers.

(: 

Around the Network

1.- Unless you really wanna get into alchemy - which is an aspect of Skyrim I personally find very boring - Discard every ingredient you come across.
Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on. Later on when you get good stuff you might wanna sell it, but early on its just dead weight.
Discard every "household" item you grab, like plates, baskets, brooms, etc, they are useless. Dont pick that stuff up.
Discard books I guess, unless you own a house you have nothing to do with them. Just read them in case one is skill-related, but no need to pick them up.
Personally, I discard food as well, whatever I need to heal comes from potions. I dont do alchemy like I said, so I always pick whatever potion I find, theres plenty. 

2.- Whatever race you like. Each of them have different bonuses so maybe choose according to however you like to play. Personally I use Nords since its fitting for Skyrim and their 50% resistance to frost is useful. But whatever you go with works I guess. I understand Bretons get a bonus on magic skills but I never used tbh.

Try to learn enchanting. Its the most useful skill IMO specially after you have it maxed in your skill tree. It can boost a lot of your damage output and you can make a lot of gold selling enchanted equipment you dont need.

Jpcc86 said:

1.- Unless you really wanna get into alchemy - which is an aspect of Skyrim I personally find very boring - Discard every ingredient you come across.
Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on. Later on when you get good stuff you might wanna sell it, but early on its just dead weight.
Discard every "household" item you grab, like plates, baskets, brooms, etc, they are useless. Dont pick that stuff up.
Discard books I guess, unless you own a house you have nothing to do with them. Just read them in case one is skill-related, but no need to pick them up.
Personally, I discard food as well, whatever I need to heal comes from potions. I dont do alchemy like I said, so I always pick whatever potion I find, theres plenty. 

2.- Whatever race you like. Each of them have different bonuses so maybe choose according to however you like to play. Personally I use Nords since its fitting for Skyrim and their 50% resistance to frost is useful. But whatever you go with works I guess. I understand Bretons get a bonus on magic skills but I never used tbh.

Try to learn enchanting. Its the most useful skill IMO specially after you have it maxed in your skill tree. It can boost a lot of your damage output and you can make a lot of gold selling enchanted equipment you dont need.

This is awesome, thanks! One more question: you said "Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on". Is it said ingame that the equipment is heavy or do I have to use other way to define if it is so?

Also, why is alchemy boring? Is it like cooking in BotW?

It becomes obvious what you need or not. Alchemy is a kinda why not skill, it is cool making poisons for assassins. I mostly played bosmer bow and dagger, the most boring and fun class.

farlaff said:
Jpcc86 said:

This is awesome, thanks! One more question: you said "Discard heavy equipment that you have no use early on". Is it said ingame that the equipment is heavy or do I have to use other way to define if it is so?

Also, why is alchemy boring? Is it like cooking in BotW?

Aye. Equipment show their weight value when you select them on the menu. In that same window you can check your carry capacity. 

I personally find alchemy to be a chore tbh, you gotta pick/buy ingredients that are not always immediately available and add weight, plus the game doesnt give you much help with recipes because most of them are wrong, I guess on purpose, and everything you can produce through alchemy you are gonna come across in your regular playthrough. I guess the alchemy skill that boosts potion's effect is useful, but I never bothered with it tbh, so I see it as non-essential. But thats just me, I try to keep things simpe so maybe try it just to see if you can get into it more than I did. 

Around the Network

Something to keep in mind is that the stealth mechanic in this game is stupid.

IIRC correctly, when your stealth is high, you can walk up to an enemy, make love to his wife in front of him, and shit directly in his mouth before he notices you.

Bristow9091 said:
Random_Matt said:
It becomes obvious what you need or not. Alchemy is a kinda why not skill, it is cool making poisons for assassins. I mostly played bosmer bow and dagger, the most boring and fun class.

Can't say I used poisons much, but pretty much this... Wood Elf focusing on bows, daggers, and stealth. Also stacked on endurance for every level up, sprinting for days and pockets deeper than, well... something deep. 

TL;DR if you're not playing a Wood Elf assassin you're clearly playing the game wrong :P 

I don't know, I lean towards a stealth archer more. At least for what I've heard some people talk.

And thanks for the answers, guys. Gonna be off for some hours but will be catching up later.

Bristow9091 said:
Random_Matt said:

Can't say I used poisons much, but pretty much this... Wood Elf focusing on bows, daggers, and stealth. Also stacked on endurance for every level up, sprinting for days and pockets deeper than, well... something deep. 

TL;DR if you're not playing a Wood Elf assassin you're clearly playing the game wrong :P 

Yep, not one single upgrade in magic. 

1 - You are capable of buying many houses throughout Skyrim (Many of which are attached to quest lines), so eventually you'll be able to save and hold as much stuff as you want. However, as you're generally adventuring, I only keep items with at least 10 value to 1 unit of weight. For selling. Stuff like weapons, armours, and other special items should only be picked up if you can make some good coin off them. Or, if the item has an enchantment or a specialized name, then keep it until you can either sell it or store it. As I said, there's an option to buy a house pretty early on in the main quest line, so up to that point, only keep the stuff you directly plan on using or selling. Once you get a place you can store goodies, you can offload items and stuff in your house.

2 - Seriously, the only real difference in races is their special abilities. Their starting stats mean nothing. IF you wanna be a bruiser and just hit things till they die, play an orc. If you expect to spend a lot of time in the cold and want high frost resistance, chose a nord. If you swim a lot and want protection against poison, chose an argonian. Honestly, that's the only real difference in endgame. PErsonally, I always go high elf because I get extra magicka and an ability that allows it to regenerate super fast for 60 seconds, basiclly giving you unlimited magic for the duration of any one battles. I don't really have much advice in this category, but I will say you should look at whatever special abilities each race gives and go with that, because stats mean basically nothing once you've found your way.

Skyrim is a truly great game, even if its age is showing (it was pretty janky even when it came out.) There's plenty to do, you could lose yourself for hundreds of hours and still not see everything the game has to offer. The thing about true RPGs like this is that you can play it however you want. I like to be an adventurer, mostly avoiding storylines and quest lines, instead focusing on just looting dungeons and making a lot of money.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android