Forums - Politics Discussion - Inside the NBA and the Double Standard of Racism

Who's right?

Ernie 1 14.29%

Charles 5 71.43%

Kenny 0 0%

Shaq 1 14.29%

Total:7

Honestly no big deal.

Shaq is right heat of the moment stuff and this shit been happening for year. Could it be seen racist? sure if it happened out of the blue whilst you eating lunch and some black guy said it to you.

In general the smack talk should probably tone done. I mean would you be offended with what harrel said more than if he took a shot at your gf? or say a brother that might have down syndrome or something?

Harrell apologised in the end because he thought he pushed the line with the smack talk and that is all that matters. No need to make it a mountain out of a mole hill.

Around the Network

Shaq is right, its just trash talk that since it was publicly scrutinized forced an apology, which was also the right move. It was a small situation quickly defused. No big deal whatsoever.
I dont see a double standard, the wording itself sounds more like a condescending jab than a racial slur, but read it however you like.

lmao are you 2 ignoring the fact the guy got called cracker i mean thats what the term he used literally is

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

We have to keep remembering that it isn't what you said but who you are and most certainly who you side with that will make backlash or not.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If you have played sports especially when it goes to high school, college and the professional level, trash talk like this is pretty common. Most times its used to get a rise out of somebody so they would get angry and do something stupid like take a swipe and get ejected. Since it was heard it was made a racial issue but in reality, it was a ploy to get Luk to get mad and probably do something stupid.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Xxain said:

That is easy to say when you are not the target of said words. If you are black father or mother, the idea of your kids having live through racist statements just to hopefully depower them is a lot to ask.

Yes, must suck for people who cannot distinguish between words and intent. I imagine all the black people getting called "nigga" every day by their best friends must be really hurting.

See, I just said the bad word. Did I do a racism? No, I physically can't because I'm not a racist and context matters. Words stop being hurtful if there is no intent behind them. By making any usage of a word taboo you give the word extreme power AND you give the people who use it with intent even more power, because now they use it on purpose because they know you don't like it.

Now, I'm not saying that we should all start calling each other slurs, how funny that might be, but maybe we should stop witch hunting innocent people who definitely aren't racist. A word cannot make someone a racist, only intent and action can.

This reminds me of this:

This story is low hanging fruit because it’s a popular white basketball player or celebrity, but on principle I oppose double standards. However, there are far worse examples at a systematic level with double standards that relate to more serious problems and not celebrity sensationalism. There are real problems with black on white violence that are being lied about with groups like BLM which distort the facts of racism in our country or in western nations in general. I just don’t like the congratulatory attitude for apologizing when you could have just not done the thing in the first place? I think if a white person did the same thing they would be expected to go through some sort of social therapy and be more public about the apology in form of a written statement. There are many layers with double standards on race, but this is a bad place to start or end the conversation. 

Xxain said:
A bitch as white boy is not the equivalent to a bitch ass nigger. White boy is not a racial slur. Hell, white boy doesnt even have a definite negative connation (though it can and when it does its more judgemental). Nigger always has a negative connection. So, that connection is just wrong. The status of the person saying a slur doesnt matter; its the power in the word itself is what he meant. There is no power behind "white boy", but Nigger and slurs like Kite and even non racial slurs fag and even bitch all have a long history - Words designed dehumanize their intended targets. White boy does not fall into that category. With that being said, Harrell was wrong for that and he has apologized for it.

What if Luka felt dehumanized by the usage of "white boy"?

KLAMarine said:
Xxain said:
A bitch as white boy is not the equivalent to a bitch ass nigger. White boy is not a racial slur. Hell, white boy doesnt even have a definite negative connation (though it can and when it does its more judgemental). Nigger always has a negative connection. So, that connection is just wrong. The status of the person saying a slur doesnt matter; its the power in the word itself is what he meant. There is no power behind "white boy", but Nigger and slurs like Kite and even non racial slurs fag and even bitch all have a long history - Words designed dehumanize their intended targets. White boy does not fall into that category. With that being said, Harrell was wrong for that and he has apologized for it.

He did apologize, didnt he?

That'd be some thin skin for a proffessional white boy NBA player tho.

Jpcc86 said:
KLAMarine said:

He did apologize, didnt he?

That'd be some thin skin for a proffessional white boy NBA player tho.

Yer but this is the 21st century,  If you ask a friend who is a woman at work to get you a coffee it can be seen as derogatory/sexist/misogynistic  by someone looking in on the conversation these days. It is all about perception to the world and not the intent between two people.  

Hell, even graduates, get treated better than long time employees.

Hell, even some people find the word wife demeaning these days and expect you to call your wife your partner. I've had people snap at me because I asked how long have you and your wife been together. Get the crazy eye and they go well my PARTNER (in an aggressive voice) and I have been together for... One couple said wife is derogatory to me and not to use that word anywhere lol