Who's right?

Ernie 1 14.29%

Charles 5 71.43%

Kenny 0 0%

Shaq 1 14.29%

Total:7
JWeinCom said:
Xxain said:

This is worst worst worst worst retort ever. I get sick of seeing it. When black people use the word Nigga, it does have the same connotation of the term Nigger. To make it a little more clear to non black people - Nigga is a refurbish of the word Nigger; it is not the same word. You are correct that non black people use the word nigga, and whether that flies depends on the group but Nigger is always wrong.

and yes I meant kike.

1. I have definitely heard black people using both variations of the word. The usage is different, but in neither case were they generally offended. If you think it's always wrong, that's your opinion. I take no position on the matter. But, some people disagree with you.

More importantly though, the issue here is intent. I recognize that the n word is far more powerful that white boy. That's why I'm not actually typing it out. But, that doesn't necessarily make using the word worse.

2.Take two situations where someone is upset. One is a white person angry at a black person, the other is the other way around. In both cases they reach for the harshest word they can find. There just so happens to be a word that one can use against black people that is more offensive than any of the words that can be applied to white people.

Does that mean the white person did something worse, or should be more harshly punished? In my opinion, no. The intent was the same.

1. Nigger being wrong is not an opinion. Says a lot about you that you think that it is. Why would punishment be equal? One is a racial slur; the other is not. If someone was shoved and the shoved person came back  and beat the shover over head with brick... should punishment be equal?

2.I have to disagree here. Do you know why? because he could have said cracker, honkey, white trash or some other actual slur used against white people but he did not. Why are you making white boy mean something like either of those terms, when he could have just said those terms?

Around the Network
Xxain said:
JWeinCom said:

1. I have definitely heard black people using both variations of the word. The usage is different, but in neither case were they generally offended. If you think it's always wrong, that's your opinion. I take no position on the matter. But, some people disagree with you.

More importantly though, the issue here is intent. I recognize that the n word is far more powerful that white boy. That's why I'm not actually typing it out. But, that doesn't necessarily make using the word worse.

2.Take two situations where someone is upset. One is a white person angry at a black person, the other is the other way around. In both cases they reach for the harshest word they can find. There just so happens to be a word that one can use against black people that is more offensive than any of the words that can be applied to white people.

Does that mean the white person did something worse, or should be more harshly punished? In my opinion, no. The intent was the same.

1. Nigger being wrong is not an opinion. Says a lot about you that you think that it is. Why would punishment be equal? One is a racial slur; the other is not. If someone was shoved and the shoved person came back  and beat the shover over head with brick... should punishment be equal?

2.I have to disagree here. Do you know why? because he could have said cracker, honkey, white trash or some other actual slur used against white people but he did not. Why are you making white boy mean something like either of those terms, when he could have just said those terms?

Yes. It shows that I know what an opinion is. A fact is something that can be objectively proven, and I do not know how you can objectively prove that claim. If you can do so, go for it. Again, as someone who is not being targeted by this word, I express no opinion myself. I'm pretty sure it would be offensive if I used it in any context... if black people want to refer to each other with either variation of the word, I don't think I'm in a position to judge.

The punishment should be the same because the purpose of punishment, imo, is to correct behavior (or in extreme examples protect society). In this case, I believe that each actor was doing the same thing essentially, looking for an offensive word to disparage the other based on their race. As such, I think the corrective action should be the same.

In contrast, I would say the intent behind beating someone over the head with a brick is very different from the intent behind shoving someone. One requires much more serious corrective action.

As for 2, I don't think cracker, honkey, or white trash are any more offensive. I've been called white boy, by black people who clearly intended it in a demeaning or threatening manner. Never any of the others. I'm not sure what makes something an "actual" slur, but I think any term that brings up someone's race in a negative way should qualify. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 25 August 2020

PAOerfulone said:
Xxain said:
A bitch as white boy is not the equivalent to a bitch ass nigger. White boy is not a racial slur. Hell, white boy doesnt even have a definite negative connation (though it can and when it does its more judgemental). Nigger always has a negative connection. So, that connection is just wrong. The status of the person saying a slur doesnt matter; its the power in the word itself is what he meant. There is no power behind "white boy", but Nigger and slurs like Kite and even non racial slurs fag and even bitch all have a long history - Words designed dehumanize their intended targets. White boy does not fall into that category. With that being said, Harrell was wrong for that and he has apologized for it.

So would it be any different if it was "bitch ass black boy" instead? Just the word "boy" would be viewed as racist and caused a PR nightmare for the NBA if it was from Doncic to Harrell. If that were the case, Doncic would have been banned from the bubble, banned from the league, and blackballed from most, if not all, of pro basketball. But since it's from Harrell to Doncic, it's not getting nearly the amount of attention that you know it would if it were the other way around. And Harrell is just getting a slap on the wrist. Why? 

You just admitted yourself that what Harrell said was wrong, yet before that, you were saying the exact opposite that it's not a racial slur. If it's not a racial slur and/or it's not designed to dehumanize their target, than why was Harrell wrong for what he said and why did he have to apologize for it?

And it's 'Kike" not 'Kite'. 

So would it be any different if it was "bitch ass black boy" instead?

0_0!!     yeeeeees..............Unless you think black and Nigger is interchangeable. Holy shit.

But because of being the lack of professionalism. Take out the white boy and just leave dumbass and I would still think he was wrong and needed to admit it and apologize. For the rest of your post, "boy" would have been a issue if it was directed at Harrell, why? because of the history of that term in regards to black people that is not shared with white people. 

Xxain said:
PAOerfulone said:

So would it be any different if it was "bitch ass black boy" instead? Just the word "boy" would be viewed as racist and caused a PR nightmare for the NBA if it was from Doncic to Harrell. If that were the case, Doncic would have been banned from the bubble, banned from the league, and blackballed from most, if not all, of pro basketball. But since it's from Harrell to Doncic, it's not getting nearly the amount of attention that you know it would if it were the other way around. And Harrell is just getting a slap on the wrist. Why? 

You just admitted yourself that what Harrell said was wrong, yet before that, you were saying the exact opposite that it's not a racial slur. If it's not a racial slur and/or it's not designed to dehumanize their target, than why was Harrell wrong for what he said and why did he have to apologize for it?

And it's 'Kike" not 'Kite'. 

0_0!!     yeeeeees..............Unless you think black and Nigger is interchangeable. Holy shit.

But because of being the lack of professionalism. Take out the white boy and just leave dumbass and I would still think he was wrong and needed to admit it and apologize. For the rest of your post, "boy" would have been a issue if it was directed at Harrell, why? because of the history of that term in regards to black people that is not shared with white people. 

Because 'boy' directed towards black people, from white people, is usually another form of racism. And if Doncic had said that to Harrell, even if Doncic didn't mean it like that, the media would have eaten him alive and you know it. But when Harrell says 'boy' to Doncic, it's not that big of a deal?

Bolded: If you honestly believe that, then holy shit you're naive. Anytime an insult towards a black person is based on their skin color, it's automatically viewed as racism for good reason. So if it were "bitch ass black boy" it would have been just as controversial, blasted, and crucified as "bitch ass nigger" because they both emphasize the color of the skin. The words may be different, but the meaning and intent behind them is the same. Just like if someone called me a "bitch ass brown boy," it'd be no different from calling me a "bitch ass beaner/spic/wetback." Because they both mean to insult my race/ethnicity.

This bullshit again. Arguing about semantics when all that counts is intent. If both sides stopped arguing about meaningless words maybe they'd have more time to fight the actual racism in the country that is not done by words. I guess the power to be able to block someone else's words from being said no matter the intention is way too alluring.

Pro tip: if you don't like certain words to be said, stop giving them power by making them taboo.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Xxain said:

Because 'boy' directed towards black people, from white people, is usually another form of racism. And if Doncic had said that to Harrell, even if Doncic didn't mean it like that, the media would have eaten him alive and you know it. But when Harrell says 'boy' to Doncic, it's not that big of a deal?

Bolded: If you honestly believe that, then holy shit you're naive. Anytime an insult towards a black person is based on their skin color, it's automatically viewed as racism for good reason. So if it were "bitch ass black boy" it would have been just as controversial, blasted, and crucified as "bitch ass nigger" because they both emphasize the color of the skin. The words may be different, but the meaning and intent behind them is the same. Just like if someone called me a "bitch ass brown boy," it'd be no different from calling me a "bitch ass beaner/spic/wetback." Because they both mean to insult my race/ethnicity.

If that was a question you answered it: Because 'boy' directed towards black people, from white people, is usually another form of racism. Its not the same the other way around. You have made it clear that you understand that "boy" is racist when coming from a white person to black a person. Only in that context is boy racist so why would you expect it the other way around? 

On to your next paragraph. Bitch ass Nigger is no doubt without question racist. Hell, I would question a black friend that called me a bitch ass Nigger(not nigga). Bitch ass black boy.... depends on the context. I get and understand your words but I am not of the idea that black boy, brown boy, white boy ext are inherently racist. If I am joking around with some close non black friends and they call me a bitch ass black boy for whatever reason, I'm not gonna be like oh you fuckin racist!!!. I get if ya'll don't understand part.

vivster said:
This bullshit again. Arguing about semantics when all that counts is intent. If both sides stopped arguing about meaningless words maybe they'd have more time to fight the actual racism in the country that is not done by words. I guess the power to be able to block someone else's words from being said no matter the intention is way too alluring.

Pro tip: if you don't like certain words to be said, stop giving them power by making them taboo.

That is easy to say when you are not the target of said words. If you are black father or mother, the idea of your kids having live through racist statements just to hopefully depower them is a lot to ask.

Xxain said:

If that was a question you answered it: Because 'boy' directed towards black people, from white people, is usually another form of racism. Its not the same the other way around. You have made it clear that you understand that "boy" is racist when coming from a white person to black a person. Only in that context is boy racist so why would you expect it the other way around? 

On to your next paragraph. Bitch ass Nigger is no doubt without question racist. Hell, I would question a black friend that called me a bitch ass Nigger(not nigga). Bitch ass black boy.... depends on the context. I get and understand your words but I am not of the idea that black boy, brown boy, white boy ext are inherently racist. If I am joking around with some close non black friends and they call me a bitch ass black boy for whatever reason, I'm not gonna be like oh you fuckin racist!!!. I get if ya'll don't understand part.

Because it's a DOUBLE STANDARD. It's hypocritical. You can't have it one way and not the other. If a white guy calls a black guy 'boy' as in insult, it's racist. But if a black guy calls a white guy 'boy' as in insult, it isn't?? In the first scenario, everyone would go crazy and rip the white guy a new asshole, regardless if he didn't mean it like that. But in the latter scenario, if it's the black guy who says it, "it's not racism, he didn't mean it like that." That's a heaping pile of bullshit. Why do minorities get the benefit of the doubt and not white people? All it does is absolve black people and other minorities of that responsibility. That's not equality, that's patronism. And patronsim is nothing more than discrimination disguised as equality.

Xxain said:
vivster said:

That is easy to say when you are not the target of said words. If you are black father or mother, the idea of your kids having live through racist statements just to hopefully depower them is a lot to ask.

Yes, must suck for people who cannot distinguish between words and intent. I imagine all the black people getting called "nigga" every day by their best friends must be really hurting.

See, I just said the bad word. Did I do a racism? No, I physically can't because I'm not a racist and context matters. Words stop being hurtful if there is no intent behind them. By making any usage of a word taboo you give the word extreme power AND you give the people who use it with intent even more power, because now they use it on purpose because they know you don't like it.

Now, I'm not saying that we should all start calling each other slurs, how funny that might be, but maybe we should stop witch hunting innocent people who definitely aren't racist. A word cannot make someone a racist, only intent and action can.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

PAOerfulone said:
Xxain said:

Because it's a DOUBLE STANDARD. It's hypocritical. You can't have it one way and not the other. If a white guy calls a black guy 'boy' as in insult, it's racist. But if a black guy calls a white guy 'boy' as in insult, it isn't?? In the first scenario, everyone would go crazy and rip the white guy a new asshole, regardless if he didn't mean it like that. But in the latter scenario, if it's the black guy who says it, "it's not racism, he didn't mean it like that." That's a heaping pile of bullshit. Why do minorities get the benefit of the doubt and not white people? All it does is absolve black people and other minorities of that responsibility. That's not equality, that's patronism. And patronsim is nothing more than discrimination disguised as equality.

You answered this question:

Because 'boy' directed towards black people, from white people, is usually another form of racism. 

Only in this case has the word boy ever been used as a racial thing. In no other situations is this true. Boy has never been used in this way towards any other groups of people so why even consider that it was meant that way? Its not about double standards; if the term only means something one way.. then it it means something one way. That is the point of terms like this. One way dehumanization.