By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I tried to sue Microsoft.

Tagged games:

Mr Puggsly said:
Leynos said:

If you own that many Xbox consoles you seem wealthy enough you don't need to sue to get more money over something trivial. That is such overkill. Way overreacted.

Heh, I bought 6. You don't have to be wealthy, especially if you wait for deals.

1. I first received one as a gift at launch.
2. I eventually bought a refurb for another room. Eventually gave that to a friend. I'm guessing I paid $200.
3. Bought a 3rd for a place I was staying. Probably paid $200.
4. Bought a new unit as a gift, maybe paid $300?
5. Bought the Xbox One S during black Friday. Paid $200.
6. Bought the Xbox One X for maybe $350.
7. Bought another Xbox One X for $300 to replace what I had in a different room.

We are talking maybe $1500 with taxes and warranties over 6 years. Its also a great media device, streaming and even using video files. So that's why I had it in multiple rooms.

*only $1500. SMH

Get 5 Roku's for the price of one XBX. Get 5 Roku's and one XBX and save $500. But whatever.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

It's odd how much some people want to complain of other people expense habits. They are probably the same ones that get pissed when relatives complain of how much they expend in gaming.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
It's odd how much some people want to complain of other people expense habits. They are probably the same ones that get pissed when relatives complain of how much they expend in gaming.

Never happened. Try again.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Heh, I bought 6. You don't have to be wealthy, especially if you wait for deals.

1. I first received one as a gift at launch.
2. I eventually bought a refurb for another room. Eventually gave that to a friend. I'm guessing I paid $200.
3. Bought a 3rd for a place I was staying. Probably paid $200.
4. Bought a new unit as a gift, maybe paid $300?
5. Bought the Xbox One S during black Friday. Paid $200.
6. Bought the Xbox One X for maybe $350.
7. Bought another Xbox One X for $300 to replace what I had in a different room.

We are talking maybe $1500 with taxes and warranties over 6 years. Its also a great media device, streaming and even using video files. So that's why I had it in multiple rooms.

*only $1500. SMH

Get 5 Roku's for the price of one XBX. Get 5 Roku's and one XBX and save $500. But whatever.

I think you're ignoring one was a gift. So less than $1200 out of my pocket. SMD (the D is dick).

Also, a Roku doesen't play Xbox games and from my experience doesn't handle video files as well.

Last, each console came with a gamepad so I was able to fuck up a lot of d-pads.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

d21lewis said:

So I purchased 7 Xbox one consoles this generation. Five for myself and two as gifts. I even own TWO Kinects. Needless to say, I love the machine.

A lot of that love was because of the features. It gave Smart TV features to my normal TVs. In addition to that, I really loved the ability to "Snap" two apps at once. Playing a game while watching YouTube, watching The Walking Dead (back when it was good) while simultaneously watching WWE Network, etc. It was pretty awesome. A major selling point, actually. I enjoyed it so much, I even purchased HDMI splitters for three of my TVs just so I could say "Xbox, Snap TV" and watch TV while using other XBO features. 

So, last year, I bought a new house. I had to disconnect all of my systems. I moved to my new home and began the process of reconnecting my consoles. 

I got mad.

All of this extra stuff I bought for a feature that was a major selling point and they just take it away without warning? Without giving us a choice? Why am I still even using the "HDMI in" option?

So I contacted a law firm and composed an email: *See next post*

"So what happened?", you ask?

Nothing.

My lawyer tried to contact Microsoft. My lawyer tried to contact the lawyers from the original PS3 lawsuit. A year has passed and there hasn't even been a response from Microsoft. 

Anyway, just thinking about it this morning. Thought I'd share it.

I get the frustration of having a feature you use removed (especially if its surreptitious or feels capricious). I've been frustrated with many companies doing this over the years. I have not tried to sue MS, but, given that the topic focuses on it, I will relate a scenario involving MS. Having both a laptop and a desktop, I like to keep all of my documents, photos, etc. synced between both machines. With Windows 7, I was able to save a lot (cannot overemphasize this) of time by using the "briefcase" function. Windows 10 initially had this function carried over from Windows 7, but it was eventually disabled by one of 10's mandatory updates. Of course, the internet being the internet, people found a way to re-enable the feature. MS then responded by removing the feature altogether in a later OS update. The feature not only did not impact the OS's performance, it was already coded into the OS. So, they basically had to spend extra resources (albeit, likely not much) to get rid of it. I don't know MS's reasoning, but my suspicion (as well as many others' who used the feature) is that this was meant to push briefcase users to OneDrive. So, again, I get the frustration.

In this case, it sounds like the performance of the Xbox One benefited from the removal of the feature. That's fine and well, but it seems to me that there was a better solution to be had. I imagine MS could have made it a feature that could be toggled on and off to try to please both users and non-users. This could have been similar to 'Boost Mode' and 'Supersampling' on the PS4 Pro, which both state that they might break games (except in this scenario, MS could add that it may also make games run worse). MS/developers could have even had certain games require the feature be disabled before the game would launch, if the extra performance was that essential. Then again, I'm always in favor of more toggles and customizable options, so one's mileage may have varied with this approach.

John2290 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Folding at home is still a thing and still popular.

Popular? If no one does it does it really exist?

Folding@Home preceded the PS3 and has continued after it was removed from the PS3. It undoubtedly got a boost from the PS3 application, but it never went away. You can fold@home right now!

hinch said:
d21lewis said:

Kinda shocking. I have that specific model PS3 and it played PS2 games until it broke in 2013, as far as I know. I still have it in the box in a closet!

Yeah I also remember reading that it there was PS2 emulator on the PS3 store briefly before it was pulled.

And damn, that's a fine collectors item! Matte and gun metal. Best combo.

I'm not sure what the Lifewire article you linked above is thinking, but Sony never removed the PS2 software emulator via a firmware update (that's my understanding of your meaning because of the article and your grouping it with the removal of OtherOS - apologies if I'm misunderstanding your meaning). If you mean they quit selling PS3s with any PS2 BC, then, yes, this is true. At any rate, I have several friends with fully updated PS2emulating PS3s and they still play the PS2 games they always have. Also, that same article states "now that Sony has closed the PlayStation 3 store", but it hasn't. I was just on there 2 days ago (which was well after the article's 23 March 2020 revision date).

At the bolded, the software you might be thinking on on the PlayStation Store was the PS2 System Data file (here's the US PSN link (I actually got this question all the time back when I worked at a game store). All this file does is enable PS2 games which had HDD functionality on the PS2 to use the same HDD functionality on the PS3 (only on PS3s which are already BC with PS2s). This list would include games like Socom 3, Socom Combined Assault, & Final Fantasy XI. So, if you were to play Socom 3 or Combined Assault online right now (via the SOCOM Virtual Dedicated LAN utility) using one of these PS2emulating PS3s (or a hardware BC PS3), you would need said PS2 System Data file.

Last edited by GrahfsLament - on 20 August 2020

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall