By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - apple/google vs epic mobile warfare where is nikkom when you need him

is this what will decide the future of gaming?
direct ingame sales removes royalty cut, OS developers butthurt
will this effect the royalty cut on all purchases?

what will happen with consoles THE END IS NEAR

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Fortnite finally doomed?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

That is an interesting battle. For me it is valid that Apple and Google receive comission for the app sold, but inside the purchases made inside the app shouldn`t keep giving revenue to them. And if the result of this is Playstation having to allow other stores inside it or even more broad, that anyone can release their game or app and Sony can`t block it, so be it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
That is an interesting battle. For me it is valid that Apple and Google receive comission for the app sold, but inside the purchases made inside the app shouldn`t keep giving revenue to them. And if the result of this is Playstation having to allow other stores inside it or even more broad, that anyone can release their game or app and Sony can`t block it, so be it.

the thing is on Android you have multiple stores aside from the google play store while not as big you still have options whereas on ios your fucked.

from a selfishpoint I wouldn't mind seeing uplay/origin/EGS/steam on my console or phone will save me tons of money having to rebuy games

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DonFerrari said:

When most mobile games are free to play, with it's income being based entirely on microtransactions, what you are proposing is the same as having no cut.

And when you allow other stores to be open on the platform you have built from the ground up and pay a team of a hundred+ engineers to keep updating and improving, not to mention the marketing you have to do to promote said platform, with no cut or a small one(that dosen't really justify the investment), who is going to built said platform in the first place? It is just going to discorage people from making awesome platforms that run well.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

People always wanna crap on the platform holders, but what Epic is doing is wrong.

DonFerrari said:

No. Fortnite is free to play. And the money it makes comes from mxt. 

You can't piggyback off a platform that a company spent billions and decades to build, use aid platform to reach n even wider audience, then now go onto cutting off the platform from making money from said game. 

What epic is doing here is vile.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

You can't piggyback off a platform that a company spent billions and decades to build, use aid platform to reach n even wider audience, then now go onto cutting off the platform from making money from said game. 

pardon? quite sure they make enough money on hardware and services to not charge 30% as does google.

while epic does smear apple here the idea behind it it great in theory.
suppose the cut goes to 15% that means devs get 15% more for the same amount of sales wich is good for the dev or if devs are chads give a discount

EDIT not saying epic is great but just saying NO because they tend to be scum aswell doesn't remove the fact that they have a darn good point:
 we need more options as consumers

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

How much does Fortnite cost again? $0?

So the "fair" deal is that Apple and Google provide huge platforms for Epic, but Epic is the only company that is supposed to profit from it?

It also cost zero on all other platforms and you can play for your whole life without giving them a dime. I know the smartphone games I played I never paid a cent, if Epic complained I don`t give they money that is their problem.

Games that charge for you to buy it but still have mtx can should then be allowed?

And in app-ads, should the hw provider also get a cut of that revenue?

kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

the thing is on Android you have multiple stores aside from the google play store while not as big you still have options whereas on ios your fucked.

from a selfishpoint I wouldn't mind seeing uplay/origin/EGS/steam on my console or phone will save me tons of money having to rebuy games

Yep, and even if you don`t want to use a store you can just go for an apk mirror and download from there. So the monopolistic claim wouldn`t find as well.

And yep, I prefer to buy only physical and I can go for any store (and they get a cut from the game they sell, but not from the in game purchase afterwards), so should be ok to have more stores for digital content, sure that would at least make it less dumb that despise not paying the cut for the physical store they charge the same (or more) for digital.

Nautilus said:
DonFerrari said:

When most mobile games are free to play, with it's income being based entirely on microtransactions, what you are proposing is the same as having no cut.

And when you allow other stores to be open on the platform you have built from the ground up and pay a team of a hundred+ engineers to keep updating and improving, not to mention the marketing you have to do to promote said platform, with no cut or a small one(that dosen't really justify the investment), who is going to built said platform in the first place? It is just going to discorage people from making awesome platforms that run well.

When you buy a car the car manufacturers don`t keep getting money from the fuel stations. And they don`t lock you out to a single vendor. There are plenty of paid apps on both stores (sure not the top download) and the free to play games also you don`t need to pay nothing to keep playing forever, and those sales aren`t really fostered by Apple. They don`t actually do anything to help those games be downloaded or then in-app purchase to happen so really they aren`t entitled to a cut. They aren`t entitled to get a cut from every perspective.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, poor Apple and its trillion dollar market cap, they spend billions developing iphone and don`t get enough profit...

What does Apple do to specifically help that game sell or the in-app purchase to happen? Even more when you can play forever without paying anything. Are you going to complain it is unfair that I don`t give money to f2p games? If apple wanted a charge for every game downloaded (I`m almost sure they get and that varies per size and then on updates, just look games they are under 100 Mb on the store, but then you download 2Gb when you load the game, updates are like 10Mb on the system but then 200Mb in game) that would be fine, it could be percentage or fixed or percentage with a minimum value. But to ask for continued revenue when they don`t really do anything for that isn`t right.

Your justification is just the same as government, they allow you to live and work so why shouldn`t they take money from it? After all they put a lot of money onto their own wages.

Epic isn`t vile, Apple abusing their very big marketshare and being sole provider and then asking for additional cut is vile, and you can bet they also ask for a cut from the in-app purchase of apps that you have to pay to buy.