By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware July 25 to August 1 - Switch Outsells NES

Next stop: The 3DS!

Around the Network

13.7 million, eh?

It has a good chance of doing that by the end of the year.

Today I found out that the Switch has beaten the NES in total hardware sales and beaten the 3DS in software sales. That is two records in one day! I actually find the 3DS record more impressive simply because the 3DS is still on the market. It had a 6 year head start and Switch has already passed it. It will be interesting to see if the Switch outpaces 3DS hardware too before it is taken off the market.

13.7 is almost guaranteed I would think. Even just matching the holiday quarter from last year and another 3 million this quarter would tie it with 3DS.

Switch is pretty much on track to sell more than my LT prediction in just 3 years on the market. Impressive.

Around the Network

Switch just keeps moving forward... Until all records are destroyed.

Holy... I didnt expect it to be adjusted that much. I wanna see the comparison topic now sheesh.

Seeing how well it is doing currently I'm sure it can reach 75 millions before the end of the year. If a Mario collection is properly marketed it will be pretty big. That + Animal crossing this holiday omg.

Switch has sold far faster than the NES, but it does have the benefit of being a hybrid and in a much larger video game industry. The Famicom was introduced in 1983 in Japan, and not discontinued until 2003. The NES version was introduced in 1985 in North America, and discontinued in 1995. I think Switch will continue to manufactured until 2027, maybe slightly longer. But Switch sales will likely slow down immensely in 2023. But considering what a slowdown from the current numbers means, there's nothing wrong with that.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

The fact it was undertracked here is crazy!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I was just thinking, "beating the NES lifetime sales is a decent milestone, but those where different times. NES had 90% marketshare in the US one year. Any system that could beat that would be extremely impessive." Then I realized Switch might actually do this in Japan this year. We'll just have to wait and see until the end of the year. It depends on how many people in Japan want a PS5.