By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 30, 2020 (Jul 20 - Jul 26)

Tagged games:

src said:

Your logic is fundamentally flawed as you assume two factors are mutually exclusive when they are not. MHW allowed such an expansion directly due to it being on PS4 hardware that allowed a more open design, better graphics, animations and AI, all of which attracted new players into the series.

Not to mention the PS4 is ripe with a userbase that loves JP games, actions games and RPGs (FF, KH, Souls, Nier).

MHW's success is directly tied to PS4 (and later PC). SW only owns JP hardware sales, PS4 still sells a lot of software in JP. More importantly, PS4 owns WW. PSN has 113 million monthly active users, 44 million online subscribers and is far more lucrative to third parties than SW will ever be.

You keep quoting numbers that are baseless. I don't know how to respond to that other than they are baseless.

The reality of gamedev is you have a software pipeline. Said pipeline is a combination of in house devs, in house dev tools, outsourcing devs, infrastructure and talent acquisition. This takes 5-10 years to solidify to the point of efficient output.

SW is too weak to be considered in this pipeline, its Nintendo's own fault. Capcom would have to go out of their way to retune their in house engine and spend in house devs on SW ports of old software, which would have a lower ROI than spending those devs to work on new PS4/5 games. Lets not forget that they need to retool their engine for PS5 as well, a platform their entire output depends on.

TLDR: No one is ignoring the SW. Due to its low power SW dev is in direct competition with PS4 dev and PS4 dev is far more important to Japanese third parties. If SW was close to PS4 in power it would easily get those ports just like XB1 does or low end PCs.

And you are heavily cherry picking when it comes to japanese third parties. Playstation has been losing many previously exclusive Devs and Publishers over the past few years.

The japanese market is more than Capcom.



Around the Network
Marth said:
src said:

Your logic is fundamentally flawed as you assume two factors are mutually exclusive when they are not. MHW allowed such an expansion directly due to it being on PS4 hardware that allowed a more open design, better graphics, animations and AI, all of which attracted new players into the series.

Not to mention the PS4 is ripe with a userbase that loves JP games, actions games and RPGs (FF, KH, Souls, Nier).

MHW's success is directly tied to PS4 (and later PC). SW only owns JP hardware sales, PS4 still sells a lot of software in JP. More importantly, PS4 owns WW. PSN has 113 million monthly active users, 44 million online subscribers and is far more lucrative to third parties than SW will ever be.

You keep quoting numbers that are baseless. I don't know how to respond to that other than they are baseless.

The reality of gamedev is you have a software pipeline. Said pipeline is a combination of in house devs, in house dev tools, outsourcing devs, infrastructure and talent acquisition. This takes 5-10 years to solidify to the point of efficient output.

SW is too weak to be considered in this pipeline, its Nintendo's own fault. Capcom would have to go out of their way to retune their in house engine and spend in house devs on SW ports of old software, which would have a lower ROI than spending those devs to work on new PS4/5 games. Lets not forget that they need to retool their engine for PS5 as well, a platform their entire output depends on.

TLDR: No one is ignoring the SW. Due to its low power SW dev is in direct competition with PS4 dev and PS4 dev is far more important to Japanese third parties. If SW was close to PS4 in power it would easily get those ports just like XB1 does or low end PCs.

And you are heavily cherry picking when it comes to japanese third parties. Playstation has been losing many previously exclusive Devs and Publishers over the past few years.

The japanese market is more than Capcom.

No I'm not. You guys are 10 years top late on PS's m.o. Its not about exclusivity, its about Playstation becoming the platform for selling games.

It doesn't matter if FF,KH have gone multiplatform, 90% of those sales, that fanbase, is dedicated to Playstation, and continues to spend money on their network.

I chose Capcom because they clearly show platform splits. Its the same for pretty much most third parties.

{FF,KH, Nier} {MH, RE, SF} {DBZ, Naruto, Tekken, Tales of} {Yakuza, Persona, Catherine} {Dynasty Warriors, Nioh} , all dominated by Playstation. 

MH, DQ used to be the only franchises that PS could not dominate. That's changed with MHW. DQ is perhaps the only important Japanese third party franchise left. Sony tried hard to sway it early in the PS4 life, to the point that its now getting close to Nintendo's share in the franchise.

I bet they'll try again with the PS5.

EDIT: Similar m.o in the West as well: Ubisofts FY data

Breakdown of net bookings by platform

  T4
2019-20

 
T4
 2018-19

 
12 mois
2019-20

 
12 mois
2018-19

 
PLAYSTATION®4 26% 34% 30% 36%
XBOX One™ 14% 18% 16% 20%
PC 26% 33% 26% 26%
NINTENDO SWITCH™ 10% 3% 9% 6%
MOBILE 16% 6% 11% 7%
Others*

 
8% 6% 8% 5%
TOTAL 100% 100% 100% 100%



src said:
Marth said:

And you are heavily cherry picking when it comes to japanese third parties. Playstation has been losing many previously exclusive Devs and Publishers over the past few years.

The japanese market is more than Capcom.

No I'm not. You guys are 10 years top late on PS's m.o. Its not about exclusivity, its about Playstation becoming the platform for selling games.

It doesn't matter if FF,KH have gone multiplatform, 90% of those sales, that fanbase, is dedicated to Playstation, and continues to spend money on their network.

I chose Capcom because they clearly show platform splits. Its the same for pretty much most third parties.

{FF,KH, Nier} {MH, RE, SF} {DBZ, Naruto, Tekken, Tales of} {Yakuza, Persona, Catherine} {Dynasty Warriors, Nioh} , all dominated by Playstation. 

MH, DQ used to be the only franchises that PS could not dominate. That's changed with MHW. DQ is perhaps the only important Japanese third party franchise left. Sony tried hard to sway it early in the PS4 life, to the point that its now getting close to Nintendo's share in the franchise.

I bet they'll try again with the PS5.

EDIT: Similar m.o in the West as well: Ubisofts FY data

Breakdown of net bookings by platform

  T4
2019-20

 
T4
 2018-19

 
12 mois
2019-20

 
12 mois
2018-19

 
PLAYSTATION®4 26% 34% 30% 36%
XBOX One™ 14% 18% 16% 20%
PC 26% 33% 26% 26%
NINTENDO SWITCH™ 10% 3% 9% 6%
MOBILE 16% 6% 11% 7%
Others*

 
8% 6% 8% 5%
TOTAL 100% 100% 100% 100%

I never see too many cherry-pick and distortion like in your post.

Fist, more than half of game is not in Nintendo. 

Two games launch in Nintendo platform: DBZ and Catherine. DBZ Xenoverse sells gangbusters and is a late port. 

The PS dominance in Japan is a false dominance because thirds don't invest a dime on Switch. Dominance only exist if thirds not invested on Nintendo platform. DQ is a failure in sony consoles because needed a last gen portable to pay the bill. The project of PS ecosystem with DQ backfired. 



src said:
Marth said:

And you are heavily cherry picking when it comes to japanese third parties. Playstation has been losing many previously exclusive Devs and Publishers over the past few years.

The japanese market is more than Capcom.

No I'm not. You guys are 10 years top late on PS's m.o. Its not about exclusivity, its about Playstation becoming the platform for selling games.

It doesn't matter if FF,KH have gone multiplatform, 90% of those sales, that fanbase, is dedicated to Playstation, and continues to spend money on their network.

I chose Capcom because they clearly show platform splits. Its the same for pretty much most third parties.

{FF,KH, Nier} {MH, RE, SF} {DBZ, Naruto, Tekken, Tales of} {Yakuza, Persona, Catherine} {Dynasty Warriors, Nioh} , all dominated by Playstation. 

MH, DQ used to be the only franchises that PS could not dominate. That's changed with MHW. DQ is perhaps the only important Japanese third party franchise left. Sony tried hard to sway it early in the PS4 life, to the point that its now getting close to Nintendo's share in the franchise.

I bet they'll try again with the PS5.

EDIT: Similar m.o in the West as well: Ubisofts FY data

Breakdown of net bookings by platform

  T4
2019-20

 
T4
 2018-19

 
12 mois
2019-20

 
12 mois
2018-19

 
PLAYSTATION®4 26% 34% 30% 36%
XBOX One™ 14% 18% 16% 20%
PC 26% 33% 26% 26%
NINTENDO SWITCH™ 10% 3% 9% 6%
MOBILE 16% 6% 11% 7%
Others*

 
8% 6% 8% 5%
TOTAL 100% 100% 100% 100%

Nice logic, 95% of these games weren't on Nintendo platforms. By the same logic, can you tell me how much Professor Layton, Yokai Watch, Rune Factory, Harvest Moon and Shin Megami Tensei on playstation sold?



So Nintendo announced a Pikmin port for the end of October. The game sold 232K physical on the Wii U, but considering the difference in audience between the Switch and Wii U - I don't see any problems for the port to easily outperform the original. The original Pikmin on the Nintendo64 is the best selling game in the franchise in Japan with 502K sales, another low bar. We shall see how this one does but I reckon it won't have problems becoming the best selling entry in Japan, it's the type of game that could find a new audience thanks to Animal Crossing

Still this is not the big fall game, I'm waiting on. 



Around the Network

Thread notification: Back on topic. This is another Famitsu sales thread that has become derailed. The initial derailer has been directly warned.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

per Bloomberg: Nintendo is increasing Switch production this FY from 22M to 25M. Probably gonna raise their forecast in the earnings.



Hold up, Nintendo’s forecast back in their last Earnings Report in May was 19 million for the Fiscal Year. When did they increase it to 22 million?



PAOerfulone said:

Hold up, Nintendo’s forecast back in their last Earnings Report in May was 19 million for the Fiscal Year. When did they increase it to 22 million?

The 19 million is consumer sell-through.  The 22 million is manufactured units.

It could then be concluded that consumer sell-through is now expected to be 22 million.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Now also in english