Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts June 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison – Switch Nearly Keeps Up in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

 

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 16,287 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,546,530 - DS

Total Lead: 8,172,202 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

DS Total Sales: 67,490,954

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the DS by just 16,287 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the DS has outsold the Switch by 5.55 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 8.17 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 40th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020, while for the DS it is February 2008. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the DS sold 67.49 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 94.70 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

Impressive for Switch that DS only gained 16k this month, despite it having gone into monster mode by this point in its life.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Expands in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 366,320 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,674,266 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,190,475 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

PS4 Total Sales: 56,128,277

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 366,320 units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 5.67 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 3.19 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 40th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is February 2017. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 56.13 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 43.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 112.14 million units through June 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 52.82 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Expands in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 366,320 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,674,266 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,190,475 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

PS4 Total Sales: 56,128,277

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 366,320 units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 5.67 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 3.19 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 40th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is February 2017. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 56.13 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 43.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 112.14 million units through June 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 52.82 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

And this is with 4 holidays seasons for PS4 versus 3 for Switch.

Still, I do worry if Switch can keep up this pace in the long term with its software schedule already looking threadbare.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison – Switch Closes the Gap in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 242,009 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,431,466 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,720,997 - 3DS

Switch Total Sales: 13,950,185

3DS Total Sales: 15,671,182

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap to the 3DS by 242,09 units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 1.43 million units. The 3DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 1.72 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

The 40th month for the Switch is June 2020, while for the 3DS it is May 2014. The Switch has sold 13.95 million units, while the 3DS sold 15.67 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS has sold 24.61 million units lifetime in Japan through May 2020. The Switch is currently 10.66 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Looks like in Japan Switch will catch up to 3DS around the end of the year.



Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison – Switch Closes the Gap in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 242,009 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,431,466 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,720,997 - 3DS

Switch Total Sales: 13,950,185

3DS Total Sales: 15,671,182

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap to the 3DS by 242,09 units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 1.43 million units. The 3DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 1.72 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

The 40th month for the Switch is June 2020, while for the 3DS it is May 2014. The Switch has sold 13.95 million units, while the 3DS sold 15.67 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS has sold 24.61 million units lifetime in Japan through May 2020. The Switch is currently 10.66 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Switch is catching up in earnest now, and it's worth bearing in mind that at this point 3DS was much, much cheaper.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

PS4 vs DS Sales Comparison – PS4 Closes the Gap in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo DS.

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 380,869 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,757,555 – DS

Total Lead: 33,314,066 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 112,139,449

DS Total Sales: 145,453,515

June 2020 is the 80th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared with the Nintendo DS during the same timeframe by 380,869 units. However, the Nintendo DS has grown its lead over the PlayStation 4 in the last 12 months by 2.76 million units. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 33.31 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

The 80th month on sale for the PlayStation 4 is June 2020, while for the Nintendo DS it is June 2011. The PlayStation 4 has sold 112.14 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 145.45 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 154.02 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 is currently 41.88 million units behind the lifetime sales of the Nintendo DS.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Yeah PS4 ain't selling another 33 million, not with PS5 four months away.
Still, there's no shame in not passing the second highest selling system of all time. I still expect PS4 to pass 130 million when all's said and done.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Yeah PS4 ain't selling another 33 million, not with PS5 four months away.
Still, there's no shame in not passing the second highest selling system of all time. I still expect PS4 to pass 130 million when all's said and done.

It is still interesting enough to see. We don't have worldwide monthly PS2 figures, so this is the closest we have. PS4 will close the gap a bit before all is said and done. Sony really needs to cut the PS4 price point. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Grows in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 994,742 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,029,645 – Switch

Total Lead: 4,150,000 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 55,168,752

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 994,742 units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 8.03 million units. The Switch leads by 4.15 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is June 2014 and for the Wii U it is February 2016. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 55.17 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 88.87 million units lifetime through June 2020. The Switch is 29.55 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U. The Wii U has been off the market for several years only selling 13.56 million units lifetime, while the 3DS has sold 75.32 million units to date and is now selling under 10,000 units per week.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.