By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts June 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah the Switch's barren future lineup is quite worrying. This momentum won't last forever if the supply of games dries up, like it did for the Wii in 2011/2012 and the Wii U in 2016.

With only one platform to support, I was hoping the Switch would have a steadier flow of games. 

Yeah me too. The main problem now is that they literally don't have a single first party game dated for the future, and only a handful even confirmed to exist at all. It makes the Switch's future look awfully bleak.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 July 2020

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah the Switch's barren future lineup is quite worrying. This momentum won't last forever if the supply of games dries up, like it did for the Wii in 2011/2012 and the Wii U in 2016.

With only one platform to support, I was hoping the Switch would have a steadier flow of games. 

The flow of games hasn't been so terrible if you look at the year so far. Not great, but Paper Mario literally just released last week, and Xenoblade a month beforehand. What's hurting right now is the lack of any reassurance for the rest of the year.

They must be playing everything very much by ear, waiting as long as possible to see what they can push out. Right now, they may just keep announcing any notable games a month before release, once they know it'll be ready. At least for 2020, that just seems like their strategy.

Shaunodon said:
trunkswd said:

The flow of games hasn't been so terrible if you look at the year so far. Not great, but Paper Mario literally just released last week, and Xenoblade a month beforehand. What's hurting right now is the lack of any reassurance for the rest of the year.

They must be playing everything very much by ear, waiting as long as possible to see what they can push out. Right now, they may just keep announcing any notable games a month before release, once they know it'll be ready. At least for 2020, that just seems like their strategy.

This.

2020 actually has had a pretty good lineup of first party Switch games so far.  It's a far better lineup than Switch had in 2018 or 2019 from Jan. to July.  But 2018 and 2019 had its best games in the latter part of the year.  We don't know what Switch has coming for this year.  In 2018 they had Smash and in 2019 Pokemon.  Will Switch have anything that is comparable?  And how many titles does it have still coming this year?

It's really the uncertainty that is unsettling to people.  We know games are still coming, but what are they?

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 22 July 2020

I'm still not sure about PS4 vs Wii in the US. Another 8 million is just on the borderline of maybe it can, maybe it can't.

Btw do we have a PS4 vs 360 in the US chart too? I forget.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:
I'm still not sure about PS4 vs Wii in the US. Another 8 million is just on the borderline of maybe it can, maybe it can't.

Btw do we have a PS4 vs 360 in the US chart too? I forget.

Xbox 360 actually outsold the Wii in the US.

I'm aware of that. hence it'll be 7th gen US market leader vs current market leader.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 July 2020

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Nears 3 Million in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 325,137 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,221,290 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,922,364 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 20,519,720

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 17,597,356

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe by 325,137 units. In the last 12 months the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 3.22 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS and Wii U by 2.92 million units.

The 3DS launched in March 2011 in the US and the Wii U launched in November 2012, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is June 2014 and for the Wii U it is February 2016. The Switch has sold 20.52 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 17.60 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 50, when they sold a combined 20.52 million units.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold a combined 28.87 million units in the US. The Switch is currently 8.35 million units behind. The Wii U has been off the market for a few years, while the 3DS is still on the market. However, 3DS sales have shrunk considerably and is selling well under 5,000 units per week.

Really shows that Nintendo has been able to win over new consumers with the Switch instead of just inheriting Wii U and 3DS's bases.

Even more so when you consider how many Wii U owners also had a 3DS or how many people owned multiple 3DS models.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Really shows that Nintendo has been able to win over new consumers with the Switch instead of just inheriting Wii U and 3DS's bases.

Even more so when you consider how many Wii U owners also had a 3DS or how many people owned multiple 3DS models.

I know it is just anecdotal evidence, but myself and several of my friends who own a Switch did not own a 3DS or Wii U.

Yeah both on forums and in real life I know multiple people who didn't care for Wii U or 3DS but jumped on the Switch. The numbers certainly suggest this trend is not just anecdotal.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US Sales Comparison - Gap Remains Flat in June 2020 

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360.

PS4 Vs. X360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 397 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,293,870 - X360

Total Lead: 1,221,558 - X360

X360 Total Sales: 34,866,419

PS4 Total Sales: 33,644,861

June 2020 is the 80th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360 grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches. The PlayStation 4 sold 1397 more units than the Xbox 360. However, in the last 12 months the Xbox 360 has sold 3.29 million more units than the PlayStation 4. The Xbox 360 currently leads by 1.22 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Xbox 360 launched on November 22, 2005. This does mean the holiday periods between the consoles do lineup.

The 80th month for the PlayStation 4 is June 2020 and for the Xbox 360 it is June 2012.The PlayStation 4 has sold 33.64 million units, while the Xbox 360 sold 34.87 million units during the same timeframe.

The Xbox 360 sold 45.14 million units lifetime in the US. The PlayStation 4 needs to sell another 11.50 million units to surpass the Xbox 360 in the US.

Yeah, no way PS4 is selling another 11.5 million in the US alone, not with PS5 just four months away.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Xbox One in the US Sales Comparison - June 2020

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 331,617 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,951,065 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,170,260 - Xbox One

Xbox One Total Sales: 28,689,980

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap shrunk in favor of the Switch by 331,617 units when compared to the Xbox One. In the last 12 months the Switch has caught up to the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US by 4.95 million units. The Switch is currently 8.17 million units behind the Xbox One in the US.

The Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 20.52 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 28.69 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 4.22 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 16.30 million units through 40 months.

At the rate Switch is gaining, it should pull ahead sometime in 2021; holidays if it slows down a bit next year, sooner if its current pace continues.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 July 2020

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

At the rate Switch is gaining, it should pull ahead sometime in 2021; holidays if it slows down a bit next year, sooner if its current pace continues.

I know some people see this one is pointless as it is inevitable, but it is still interesting to watch for now. Once the Xbox Series X and PS5 launch I'll be doing several new comparison charts. 

I for one find it very interesting; the winner may be easy to surmise, but you could say the same for Xbox One vs Switch worldwide before the latter overtook, yet it was still cool to watch how quickly it could catch up and track the shrinking gap.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - Switch Closes the Gap in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 71,816 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 360,789 - Wii

Total Lead: 6,852,492 - Wii

Wii Total Sales: 27,372,212

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 71,816 units when you align the launches of it with the Wii. In the last 12 months the Wii has outsold the Switch by 360,789 units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 6.85 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020 and for the Wii it is February 2010. The Switch has sold 20.52 million units, while the Wii sold 27.37 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 21.18 million units to outsell the Wii.

Even all these years later, it's crazy how much of a beast the Wii was. Even with Nintendo dropping the ball in its last two years, it's first four were monstrous.