Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts June 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison - Switch Closes the Gap Again in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 523,868 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,276,914 - Switch

Total Lead: 7,955,431 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

Wii Total Sales: 67,274,183

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 523,868 units when you align the launches of the two consoles. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the Wii by 3,276,914 units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 7.96 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020 and for the Wii it is February 2010. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the Wii sold 67.27 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 101.63 million units worldwide during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 42.31 million units to outsell the Wii.

This is one of those cases where the third graph newly added really comes in handy as it demonstrates much more than the first two that the Switch is on track to sell more in total.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison - Switch Closes the Gap Again in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 523,868 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,276,914 - Switch

Total Lead: 7,955,431 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

Wii Total Sales: 67,274,183

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 523,868 units when you align the launches of the two consoles. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the Wii by 3,276,914 units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 7.96 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020 and for the Wii it is February 2010. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the Wii sold 67.27 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 101.63 million units worldwide during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 42.31 million units to outsell the Wii.

This is one of those cases where the third graph newly added really comes in handy as it demonstrates much more than the first two that the Switch is on track to sell more in total.

The third graph was a great suggestion. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The Wii's best days are behind it. Switch is still going strong. We're going to see Switch gain ground every month going forward except for the Wii's holidays.



Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Continues to Grow in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,116,386 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 11,540,711 - Switch

Total Lead: 16,690,474 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

3DS Total Sales: 42,628,278

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.12 million units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 11.54 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 16.69 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. This does mean the holidays for the two platforms do lineup.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020 and for the Nintendo 3DS it is June 2014. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the 3DS sold 42.63 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.31 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently 15.99 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
The Wii's best days are behind it. Switch is still going strong. We're going to see Switch gain ground every month going forward except for the Wii's holidays.

Switch is doing amazing and is looking to have much better legs than the Wii. The big question is where will it end. Can it beat the Game Boy? PS4? Maybe even DS or PS2?



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Continues to Grow in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,116,386 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 11,540,711 - Switch

Total Lead: 16,690,474 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

3DS Total Sales: 42,628,278

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.12 million units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 11.54 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 16.69 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. This does mean the holidays for the two platforms do lineup.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020 and for the Nintendo 3DS it is June 2014. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the 3DS sold 42.63 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.31 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently 15.99 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Looking at this Switch will reach 60m more than two years before the 3DS did.



Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Continues to Grow in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,116,386 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 11,540,711 - Switch

Total Lead: 16,690,474 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

3DS Total Sales: 42,628,278

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.12 million units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 11.54 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 16.69 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. This does mean the holidays for the two platforms do lineup.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020 and for the Nintendo 3DS it is June 2014. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the 3DS sold 42.63 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.31 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently 15.99 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Looking at this Switch will reach 60m more than two years before the 3DS did.

With a gap of under 16 million, the Switch will outsell the 3DS sometime in early 2021. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
The Wii's best days are behind it. Switch is still going strong. We're going to see Switch gain ground every month going forward except for the Wii's holidays.

Switch is doing amazing and is looking to have much better legs than the Wii. The big question is where will it end. Can it beat the Game Boy? PS4? Maybe even DS or PS2?

Beating the Game Boy will be easy.  Even a pessimistic projection for Switch will put it at least 130m, as long as the pessimism is based on the performance of past consoles.  Optimistic projections can put it ahead of the DS or PS2.  We'll have to wait and see how well it continues to do even after the pandemic ends.



trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Continues to Grow in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,116,386 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 11,540,711 - Switch

Total Lead: 16,690,474 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

3DS Total Sales: 42,628,278

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.12 million units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 11.54 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 16.69 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. This does mean the holidays for the two platforms do lineup.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020 and for the Nintendo 3DS it is June 2014. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the 3DS sold 42.63 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.31 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently 15.99 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Once again, the third chart is the most telling. 

Really kinda puts in perspective that 3DS only really seemed highly successful in contrast to the Wii U. THIS is what real smash hit success looks like.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison – Switch Nearly Keeps Up in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

 

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 16,287 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,546,530 - DS

Total Lead: 8,172,202 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 59,318,752

DS Total Sales: 67,490,954

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the DS by just 16,287 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the DS has outsold the Switch by 5.55 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 8.17 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 40th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020, while for the DS it is February 2008. The Switch has sold 59.32 million units, while the DS sold 67.49 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 94.70 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.