By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online Collection add Donkey Kong Country and two more games.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

About time but i'll take it. It means we might get games like Earthbound still or Mario RPG. Hopefully we get the trilogy of DKC too.

On a side note, just that tweet in 30 mins made DKC trending #9 WW on Twitter.. their power, i fear.

Actually selling these games on Switch and PC would bring in way more revenue than Nintendo Online ever will. WTF happened to the virtual console on Wii? How could they have totally abandoned that?

Japan also got a Shin Megami Tensei game for SNES, that's actually quite nice. Obviously DKC is the highlight but they really are just gonna drip feed these games to us. They're scraping the bottom of the NES barrel when they really don't have to. Nonetheless I'll be playing through DKC for the hundredth time and will enjoy it.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Actually selling these games on Switch and PC would bring in way more revenue than Nintendo Online ever will. WTF happened to the virtual console on Wii? How could they have totally abandoned that?

Many of the Wii VC titles are available on the EShop - I just wish VC owners could have had their library grandfathered into the new EShop system somehow. The Wii VC was such a great platform, and it is sad that they pretty much cut it off and restarted on 3DS and Wii U; although, at least it offered some perks if you already owned the game on Wii, but that's not even close to good enough - and I'd have rather re-purchased the games at full price than have only some of them available for proper play on Wii U, even if those some were free. I WANTED ALL!

Ideally, I'd have liked Nintendo to grandfather the Wii VC into all future consoles, and no re-purchasing would be required, and the full library would be available.

What Nintendo is doing is allowing third parties to use the EShop as a means to sell their game, that's basically the replacement for their VC platform as well as the storefront for all games digitally. They are using their own games as perk of the Nintendo online service buy-in to keep people investing. Although, IMO, they can do a lot better. We should be seeing most of their SNES library by this point.

Personally, I don't care how they do it, I just want all the games available to me, and I want them to remain available to me beyond this generation.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 08 July 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Cool! Just got rid of my Switch Online a few weeks ago when my free year from Twitch expired. I'll need the trilogy before I pay for the service.

Jumpin said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Many of the Wii VC titles are available on the EShop - I just wish VC owners could have had their library grandfathered into the new EShop system somehow. The Wii VC was such a great platform, and it is sad that they pretty much cut it off and restarted on 3DS and Wii U; although, at least it offered some perks if you already owned the game on Wii, but that's not even close to good enough - and I'd have rather re-purchased the games at full price than have only some of them available for proper play on Wii U, even if those some were free. I WANTED ALL!

Ideally, I'd have liked Nintendo to grandfather the Wii VC into all future consoles, and no re-purchasing would be required, and the full library would be available.

What Nintendo is doing is allowing third parties to use the EShop as a means to sell their game, that's basically the replacement for their VC platform as well as the storefront for all games digitally. They are using their own games as perk of the Nintendo online service buy-in to keep people investing. Although, IMO, they can do a lot better. We should be seeing most of their SNES library by this point.

Personally, I don't care how they do it, I just want all the games available to me, and I want them to remain available to me beyond this generation.

There aren't any SNES, N64, or NES games available on the eShop, outside of those offered by 3rd parties. And even then the offerings are scant compared to the the nearly complete libraries that we had on the Virtual Console.

I will say that Neo-Geo, and Sega Genesis both have very good offerings on the eShop. Both are nearly as good as the Virtual Console. Sega and SNK are both making a great effort to do what Nintendon't. :P

I want these games available to me for longer too. That's why I collect NES, Genesis, and SNES carts. I also do repro carts, and own high end FPGA non-emulation clone consoles. But that gets expensive, and not everybody is as crazy as me.

DKC, yeah! I knew it would come eventually.

EDIT: So I was curious about this NES game, The Immortal. Never herad of it before. The trailer in the OP says it's an EA game, so I wondered is t good, is it bad, what is like at all. I stumbled upon a great video:

Spoiler, but actually no spoiler:

Spoiler!
It's an unfair piece of shit.
Last edited by GoOnKid - on 08 July 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
Jumpin said:

There aren't any SNES, N64, or NES games available on the eShop, outside of those offered by 3rd parties. And even then the offerings are scant compared to the the nearly complete libraries that we had on the Virtual Console.

I will say that Neo-Geo, and Sega Genesis both have very good offerings on the eShop. Both are nearly as good as the Virtual Console. Sega and SNK are both making a great effort to do what Nintendon't. :P

I want these games available to me for longer too. That's why I collect NES, Genesis, and SNES carts. I also do repro carts, and own high end FPGA non-emulation clone consoles. But that gets expensive, and not everybody is as crazy as me.

The eShop also vastly surpasses the virtual console when you consider all the Steam/classic PC games on there, and also PSX classics, and remakes/remasters of SNES games (like the Romancing Saga games) that never made it to the virtual console before. There's also still plenty of time for more games to be added. I am thinking Nintendo won't release its first party games on the eShop, those'll be saved for the subscription service.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The eShop also vastly surpasses the virtual console when you consider all the Steam/classic PC games on there, and also PSX classics, and remakes/remasters of SNES games (like the Romancing Saga games) that never made it to the virtual console before. There's also still plenty of time for more games to be added. I am thinking Nintendo won't release its first party games on the eShop, those'll be saved for the subscription service.

Haha, true. The rise of digital distribution pretty much solved Nintendo's 3rd party problem. Switch has tons of Indies and 3rd party remakes.