By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever enjoyed a spinoff to a series you dislike?

I'm utterly apathetic to the Ghost Recon series, but feel that GHost Recon: Shadow Wars was the best game of the 3DS launch lineup.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I wasn't sure if Dynasty Warriors was a spinoff or if they were just drawing on the same period of history. 

I did play Romance of the Three Kingdoms back on the NES, and I believe it was actually a spinoff of Nobunaga's Ambition.  In that case Dynasty Tactics would be a spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff.

I'm not sure if I'd call ROTK a spin-off of Nobunaga. They only really share the same genre. In terms of characters, story, setting and name they're all different.

Dynasty Warriors would definitely be a spin-off of ROTK though. As well as having the same setting they've shared character models sometimes and their names are even basically the same. The original Japanese titles are Three Kingdoms (ROTK) and Three Kingdoms Unrivaled (DW).

I guess it depends on how you define "spinoff".  The gameplay of Nobunaga and ROTK is extemely similar (or at least the NES versions of these games was extremely similar.)  Also they are made by the same developers.  Nobunaga clearly inspired ROTK, but they don't have the same setting or anything.

I define "spinoff" pretty loosely, so I see ROTK as a spinoff as Nobunaga.

Nier and Nier Automata are spinoffs of Drakengard. DG games are terrible games. Nier is a continuation of one of the endings of Drakengard. I adore the Nier series. Could not stand Drakengard.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!