By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS is shutting down Mixer, and partnering with Facebook

Do this have anything to do with video sharing on facebook from ps4 (function removed from os some months ago)?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

It’s good riddance. It wasn’t taking off so better to use money on other things. And hey not like Nintendo or Sony has their own service, competitively nothing has changed.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari said:

Do this have anything to do with video sharing on facebook from ps4 (function removed from os some months ago)?

Yes, that's exactly it. Instead of streaming on Mixer, you will probably be able to do it right on Facebook directly from your console (probably with one button or command only). (While Twitch required some additional setup if I am not wrong).

sethnintendo said:

Look at all those hours wasted watching other people play video games.  I'd rather watch golf on TV then watch someone play video games.

Or play a golf videogame.

konnichiwa said:

Smart move, Facebook is growing fast and has  potentially a large audience.

Those numbers must be inflated by the quarantine though. No doubt there's been progression but I don't think it would be that big of an increase in normal circumstances.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, that's exactly it. Instead of streaming on Mixer, you will probably be able to do it right on Facebook directly from your console (probably with one button or command only). (While Twitch required some additional setup if I am not wrong).

For me it was so strange that suddenly they unlinked the PSN account and Facebook account and removed the hability to directly post captured videos to facebook.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Didn't expect this one but Mixer didn't look like it was going to reach twitch/youtube levels so it makes sense

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Imaginedvl said:
JRPGfan said:

They claim its to bring Xcloud game streaming to facebook Gaming, very simular to googles stadia concept (see something, play it).

So you guys hyped about Xcloud being tagged onto gamepass? And potentially Facebook being integrated into Xbox OS when you use your xbox?

You are mixing up things. The only thing they are talking about is to use Facebook Gaming (which is a Mixer/Twitch competitor) and close Mixer.

- Facebook Gaming is not 'very similar' to Google Stadia, not the same thing at all actually
- XCloud or Gamepass have nothing to do with this change and won't required linking your account to Facebook for any reason
- Facebook and other "integration" are already there (same with Play Station Network) and you can link your account to it to "share" stuff or screenshot 
- The deal with Facebook is just marketing basically to reach more players (which will lead them to subscribe to Gamepass/XCloud)

In short, this change means one simple thing. Mixer is down and if you want to "stream" your game out, Microsoft prefers to partner with Facebook Gaming than Twitch (which is not really surprise). Gamepass/XCloud are not related to any of this.

Not only you are mixing things up but coming up with assumption based on that. For some reason, you are making all of this sounds way worse than it is.

And as far as the question: hyped about XCloud tagged into GamePass (even if unrelated), this is very great news for Xbox users and was already teased a while ago. If Microsoft confirms it, it means that with your GamePass not only are you getting all of those games but you can now stream them from anywhere and it is included in your subscription.

1) The "idea" behinde stadia is you see a youtube video of a game, and you click "play it" or something, and you jump into the streaming service and the game. That is stadia's goal, where they want to go. MS want the same thing, just with facebook videos and instagram, where you just click "play it" when you watch a clip or video, and your into the service.

SO in that sense, they are going to become the very similar.

2) "XCloud or Gamepass have nothing to do with this change and won't required linking your account to Facebook for any reason"

Huh? It sounded like they are moveing the streaming service (xcloud) onto gamepass. So if you get gamepass you have access to the streaming service and vice versa, its going to become 1 thing (gamepass = which will also have xcloud and streaming).  If you want to be able to click on a instragram clip or facebook video, and it automatically takeing you into the game, via streaming, your gonna have to have some kinda account sign in, and linked upto your gamepass (with facebook). How else would this work? the idea is easy access. See clip (facebook or instagram) = hit play = your now in the game playing it via streaming.

Thats probably also why they gave up on Mixer, they need the mass appeal and userbase facebook+instragram has.
For that to work, it has to be linked to facebook right?

3) "Facebook and other "integration" are already there (same with Play Station Network) and you can link your account to it to "share" stuff or screenshot."

Yeah but this seems like its another level of integration. Like basically cant use gamepass without, kinda deal.

4) "The deal with Facebook is just marketing basically to reach more players (which will lead them to subscribe to Gamepass/XCloud)"

The deal is to workout how to have gamepass/xcloud streaming work directly from a link in a facebook video or instragram clip.
1 button -> your now streaming the game from the clip you just watched.  If it was just marketing and ads, they wouldn't ahve closed down mixer.
it would just be a ad that took you to mixer. That isnt what this is.

"Not only you are mixing things up but coming up with assumption based on that."

In less than 1 month, mixer wont work anymore.
Its not just a marketing deal, its useing Facebook gameing (their streaming) instead to get viewers into gamepass/game streaming (xcloud).

From phil spencers own mouth on the matter:

“We think this is it, and it gives us a great place to launch more xCloud content and give gamers the ability to play from there. - Phil Spencer.

xCloud is going to be centered around facebook streaming, and your going to be playing & streaming games from there.

"It’s not clear exactly when we’ll see xCloud show up in Facebook Gaming, but it’s a key part of this new partnership. Microsoft is getting ready to launch xCloud streaming generally later this year, as part of the company’s Xbox Game Pass offering."

^ How much clearer can it get than that?

The key reason, behinde this partnership is to get facebook videos / instragram clips + easy access into game streaming (xCloud).
They are combinding gamepass + xcloud game streaming into 1 service (which was why I suspected gamepass prices would go up).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 June 2020

Aaand nothing of value was lost, I imagine. That said, something much worse was gained...

Like with Zune and a few other products, Mixer was perfectly fine. Just didn't catch on. We'll see what happens.