By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS is shutting down Mixer, and partnering with Facebook

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299032/microsoft-mixer-closing-facebook-gaming-partnership-xcloud-features?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

"Microsoft is closing its Mixer service on July 22nd and plans to move existing partners over to Facebook Gaming. The surprise announcement means Mixer partners and streamers will be transitioned to Facebook Gaming starting today, and Microsoft will no longer operate Mixer as a service in a month’s time."

"Microsoft has struggled to reach the scale needed for Mixer to compete with Twitch, YouTube, and even Facebook Gaming which has led to today’s decision. “We started pretty far behind, in terms of where Mixer’s monthly active viewers were compared to some of the big players out there,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s head of gaming, in an interview with The Verge. “I think the Mixer community is really going to benefit from the broad audience that Facebook has through their properties, and the abilities to reach gamers in a very seamless way through the social platform Facebook has.”"

"On July 22nd, all Mixer sites and apps will automatically redirect to Facebook Gaming. Existing Mixer Partners will be granted partner status with Facebook Gaming, and any streamers using the Mixer monetization program will be granted eligibility for Facebook’s Level Up program. Mixer viewers with outstanding Ember balances, channel subscriptions, or Mixer Pro subscriptions will receive Xbox gift card credit."

They claim its to bring Xcloud game streaming to facebook Gaming, very simular to googles stadia concept (see something, play it).

“It wasn’t as much about return on sell, it was about finding a partnership that was the best things for the community and streamers,” explains Spencer. “We think this is it, and it gives us a great place to launch more xCloud content and give gamers the ability to play from there.”

"Microsoft is getting ready to launch xCloud streaming generally later this year, as part of the company’s Xbox Game Pass offering. “I don’t think we’re going to have to wait too long to see the outcome of the collaboration between the two companies to enable this tech for Facebook Gaming viewers,” reveals Spencer."

So you guys hyped about Xcloud being tagged onto gamepass? And potentially Facebook being integrated into Xbox OS when you use your xbox?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 June 2020

Around the Network

Never really knew what Mixer was. Not had a FB account in years. Sounds like a failure in the past and going forward.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This is so weird to me, like half a year ago, they spent a fortune on getting popular twitch streamers to join mixer.

edit:
Also the less than 1 month to move, its so abrupt... imagine being a streamer with your livelihood dependent on it, and you get this little warning.
Potentially a few weeks from now, its just gone.

*edit2:
My thoughts are this is gonna rise prices of Gamepass subscriptions.
Its its now a 2-for-1 type of deal, theres no way Gamepass doesnt go up in price to off set, the extra costs.

Xbox accounts will probably be linked to facebook now, if you want to use streaming or gamepass?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 June 2020

Smart move, Facebook is growing fast and has  potentially a large audience.

Seems like those streamers (ninja, shroud ect) are now free agents again, and can go back to Twitch:

Around the Network

Never even heard of facebook gaming. TBH youtube gaming is the ONLY true competitor to twitch and not much of one at that. Which doesn't make too much sense to me considering Twitch isn't doing anything special.

konnichiwa said:

Smart move, Facebook is growing fast and has  potentially a large audience.

Look at all those hours wasted watching other people play video games.  I'd rather watch golf on TV then watch someone play video games.

I can safely say this is the first time I've heard of Mixer.

think-man said:
I can safely say this is the first time I've heard of Mixer.

Did you hear about Beam? (think they renamed it to mixer a few years ago).
Anyways MS version of a streaming site for gameing.

JRPGfan said:

They claim its to bring Xcloud game streaming to facebook Gaming, very simular to googles stadia concept (see something, play it).

So you guys hyped about Xcloud being tagged onto gamepass? And potentially Facebook being integrated into Xbox OS when you use your xbox?

You are mixing up things. The only thing they are talking about is to use Facebook Gaming (which is a Mixer/Twitch competitor) and close Mixer.

- Facebook Gaming is not 'very similar' to Google Stadia, not the same thing at all actually
- XCloud or Gamepass have nothing to do with this change and won't required linking your account to Facebook for any reason
- Facebook and other "integration" are already there (same with Play Station Network) and you can link your account to it to "share" stuff or screenshot 
- The deal with Facebook is just marketing basically to reach more players (which will lead them to subscribe to Gamepass/XCloud)

In short, this change means one simple thing. Mixer is down and if you want to "stream" your game out, Microsoft prefers to partner with Facebook Gaming than Twitch (which is not really surprise). Gamepass/XCloud are not related to any of this.

Not only you are mixing things up but coming up with assumption based on that. For some reason, you are making all of this sounds way worse than it is.

And as far as the question: hyped about XCloud tagged into GamePass (even if unrelated), this is very great news for Xbox users and was already teased a while ago. If Microsoft confirms it, it means that with your GamePass not only are you getting all of those games but you can now stream them from anywhere and it is included in your subscription.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 23 June 2020