By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

It's too early to extrapolate already. I think we should at least wait till january 2008. PS3 will have a better game libary, rumble and home. And Blu-ray in the future.

Around the Network

It really is not too early. Look at the history of video games: six months after the release of the last system, the system that was selling the best won every single time.

In other words, the PS3 coming back to win would be historically unprecedented. "Historically unprecedented" equates, in the statistical jargon, to "unlikely" or "very unlikely." I'd agree that nothing is certain yet, but you could say that at any point; theoretically the Gamecube could have started selling like gangbusters a year ago, selling over 100 million more consoles and going on to win the generation at the very end. That was possible, it was just enormously and hilariously unlikely.

So at what point do you call it? Do you call it when there's less than a 1 percent chance for the current best seller to be suddenly dethroned? 5 percent? 10 percent? .0001 percent? That rule isn't set in stone. I'm not sure I'd "call it" yet either, Fractal, but at this point the odds of the PS3 seeing a sudden, dramatic turn around are low: I'd put them in the 10 to 20 percent range. That's not impossible -- just historically unprecedented.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

fishamaphone said:
Mero, no offense, but PR is PR. I highly doubt that the PS3 will be around for 10 years. Am I the only one who remembers Nintendo saying the GameCube would be around for 8? It honestly could have been... y'know, if not for the fact that it sold horribly. If your main problem was longevity, you should have waited a year to have a good idea of which ones were selling the best. Sales dictate if something lasts, not what internal features it has. Why do you think your original Xbox only lasted four years? It had the most features, and online and HD *are* the future, the two things it did better than everyone else in the absolute. I mean, I'm an admitted Nintendo fanboy, so keep that in mind, but I like to think I put some thought into my fanboyineaty. There are plenty of reasons to own a PS3, but "because Sony PR said so" seems kinda silly to me.

I'd like to thank you fishamaphone for your reply

positively agree with u in regards to sales are the dictator of which console will win. But I am not buying my console based on who wins. Cause, taking nintendo as an example, a console could loose and still be in the market and then enter again just like nintendo with the wii.

Look at the guy above he mentioned wii2, I am not ready to buy a console and then shift to another one. 360 will do the same and in the future they might be like PS3 or better

I recall that i said that the DS will lose and a year after I ate my words. No body knows how the people react to certain consoles. Everyone makes a path and hopes to god its the right one and everyone has followed. But that's not a way of life and not way of fun, risk is everything here, and I hate it. SO I cleared my mind and bought what I though would make me have fun as long as possible even if it didn't, even if it was the same as any other console, even if it failed at that point

The underlying truth is that I was happy with what i choose and not what the people chose for me. 

the discussion we are having now, is because i bought a console other than u. isn't that true? :)

If we bough the same console we wont be having this argument. 

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I'd say Nintendo will win both, but I dont know how PS3/360 will do. While the 360 is at the lead, PS3 may steal its thunder in the future. I think 360's lead will make it the overall winner.

PS3 win! ))

Around the Network

ok I state it right away so I don't get flamed being a nintendo fan... I'ma sega fanboy and now an XBox.....

so my guess is nintendo wining both front in sales... with WII and DS... and I'm confident enough to bet my wienner on it....

why... first nintendo has a strong fanbase anyway... they are not expensive for a lot of parents who want to provide a console to their young kids... and for other gamers (older) it can be the secondary console... I heard a lot of my friends who have mostly XBox saying I will buy the wii for my kids for the grand parents house for exemple....

so my point is they will win the sale war... it might not be the primary console in household though... (lol it gets confusing isn't it lol)

then second I put 360, for many reasons... but the #1 is when was the last time you saw MS loosing a war even if it wasn't the best ??? even if in my opinion and mu knowledge the 360 is mor fit for games than PS3.... and if PS3 really make it last 10 years they are done... because even with upgrades.... no way you can do better than a new built....

but you know what my real dream is I want SEGA back in the race with a DREAMCAST 363 lol ;) :p 

What I think: 1:PS3 2:Wii 3:360 What I hope for: 1:360 2:Wii 3:PS3

mero4ever said:
fishamaphone said:
Mero, no offense, but PR is PR. I highly doubt that the PS3 will be around for 10 years. Am I the only one who remembers Nintendo saying the GameCube would be around for 8? It honestly could have been... y'know, if not for the fact that it sold horribly. If your main problem was longevity, you should have waited a year to have a good idea of which ones were selling the best. Sales dictate if something lasts, not what internal features it has. Why do you think your original Xbox only lasted four years? It had the most features, and online and HD *are* the future, the two things it did better than everyone else in the absolute. I mean, I'm an admitted Nintendo fanboy, so keep that in mind, but I like to think I put some thought into my fanboyineaty. There are plenty of reasons to own a PS3, but "because Sony PR said so" seems kinda silly to me.

I'd like to thank you fishamaphone for your reply

positively agree with u in regards to sales are the dictator of which console will win. But I am not buying my console based on who wins. Cause, taking nintendo as an example, a console could loose and still be in the market and then enter again just like nintendo with the wii.

Look at the guy above he mentioned wii2, I am not ready to buy a console and then shift to another one. 360 will do the same and in the future they might be like PS3 or better

I recall that i said that the DS will lose and a year after I ate my words. No body knows how the people react to certain consoles. Everyone makes a path and hopes to god its the right one and everyone has followed. But that's not a way of life and not way of fun, risk is everything here, and I hate it. SO I cleared my mind and bought what I though would make me have fun as long as possible even if it didn't, even if it was the same as any other console, even if it failed at that point

The underlying truth is that I was happy with what i choose and not what the people chose for me.

the discussion we are having now, is because i bought a console other than u. isn't that true? :)

If we bough the same console we wont be having this argument.

Possibly we wouldn't, but not necissarily.  I try to make a point of sticking to principles, rather than a person or idea.  If you'd bought a Wii based on the Nintendo Go video that was running around back in '05, I'd probably argue just as much.  But, granted, I realize I've got some horseblinds on, and I don't always see what I don't want to see.

All I was saying is that just because Sony says "10 years," it doesn't mean they'll even have the machine on the market for five. :-p 

Equinoxe said:
What I think: 1:PS3 2:Wii 3:360 What I hope for: 1:360 2:Wii 3:PS3

So you think that the exact opposite of what you want is what's going to happen. Can you tell us your thinking behind the PS3/Wii/360 ranking? Or are you just a pessimist hehe?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Breaking it down by market it's hard to see anyone beating the Wii in world wide sales. The PS3 probably has a better chance at doing that the 360 because of Sony's brand name, and because it can be some factor in Japan and will probably do better than the 360 in the "Other" markets. The PS3 probably can go on selling good longer than the other two, and that's probably the only shot it has at eventually outselling the Wii. Though I've said this before, the Wii will not be the system that sells the most software; the system that wins the HD gaming battle will end up holding that title, probably the PS3.