Forums - Sony Discussion - Now that Demon's Souls is getting a Remake, let's please fix World Numbers!

Tagged games:

If there was one thing that always bothered me, and still does, is how the community simply invented the order of worlds on Demon's Souls, switching which should be 4 and 5 between them.

World numbers don't actually exist, the fanbase made them up to make it easier to talk about the stages of the game but when doing it they inverted what should be the order for world 4 and 5.

You see, Demon's Souls is divided in 6 worlds connected by Archstones in the Nexus, 5 of which are playable in the original game.

The archstones are divided in two groups of three each into a half cicle format accessed by stairs on each side.

The community likely took that half cycle format as the ordering for the world numbers in a single sequence going from left to right, but there were always 2 clear problems with that.

1. If the 6th archstone was made accessible, that logic would make the sequences from left to right be: 1 > 2 > 3 > 6 > 4 > 5. Which makes clear it was never intended to be that way.

2. And the most important, the progression of the game difficulty was always intended to be following the stairs of each side up (so 1 > 2 > 3 climbing from the left, then 4 > 5 > 6 climbing from the right). And this sequence is the one used into the game, which appears first in the speech of the last monumental, following that order, and is confirmed in one of the endings of the game, where all bosses are shown in sequence following that order, where Shrine of Storms bosses are shown after Valley of Defilement bosses, not before like the fanbase world numbers make it be.

So when the Remake is released let's all remember:

World 1: Boletarian Palace

World 2: Stonefang Tunnel

World 3: Tower of Latria

World 4: Valley of Defilement

World 5: Shrine of Stoms

World 6: Land of Giants/Northern Lands

(if available, and whatever it ends up being called)

Please evolve from those dark days of calling Shrine of Storms as World 4 and Valley of Defilement as World 5, every time you do it you make the Maiden in Black get further away of mending the world and lulling the Old One back to its slumber.

Thank you.

Last edited by BraLoD - on 21 June 2020

Around the Network

Well whatever they do, i look forward to the improved graphics and performance.

Improved graphics and performance > Fixing world numbers.

Do they need to be fixed tho? I wasnt even aware that was an issue.

that's a bit of a weird hangup to have and the difficulty progression actually is waaay different than you indicate, as it's definitely not intended to finish a world before going to the next one

1-1 is the easiest >  1-2;2-1;5-1 are about equal >  3-1;4-1 about equal >  2-2;3-2  >  2-3  >  1-3;4-2;5-2  >  3-3;4-3;5-3  >  1-4 is what I'd say is the difficulty progression

Anyone platinum it on ps3? I don't know if I will play through again, was already perfect the last time.

Around the Network

I just hope they add the missing world. Alot of the assets already exists for it. Would be great to add it, and gives vets a reason to return.

Man I cant wait to play it. Its the only souls game missing for me. I wonder if it is possible to connect the 5 areas somehow to give it a more modern fell, like bloodborne where the areas are separated but at the same time a lot of them are interconnected.

Lafiel said:

that's a bit of a weird hangup to have and the difficulty progression actually is waaay different than you indicate, as it's definitely not intended to finish a world before going to the next one

1-1 is the easiest >  1-2;2-1;5-1 are about equal >  3-1;4-1 about equal >  2-2;3-2  >  2-3  >  1-3;4-2;5-2  >  3-3;4-3;5-3  >  1-4 is what I'd say is the difficulty progression

Of course stages are interchangable, but the overall dificulty progression is undoubtly how the worlds are presented as I said.

You can't progress further than 1-2 if you haven't beaten an Archdemon, so yeah 1-3 and 1-4 are after at least world 2, but the overall progression is without a doubt:

Start in Boletarian Palace (you'll have to), go to Stonefang Tunnel, go to Tower of Latria, go to Valley of Defilement and then go to Shrine of Storms.

The base enemies on Shrine of Storm are definitely the strongest, also it's where the Pure Bladestone is located, and the Storm Ruler fight is where you find the weapon with the most impressive effect in the entire game.

You'll end coming back to face the False King atop the Boletarian Palace, which is the game final boss (True King is purely a plot device, which I love btw), but you have already gone before anywhere else.

When the community made up the world numbers they gave the impression you should go to Storm of Shrines before the Valley of Defilement, which you can do, of course, but two skeletons rolling at you at the same time there will be enough to show you that you should not be there yet.

Jpcc86 said:
Improved graphics and performance > Fixing world numbers.

Do they need to be fixed tho? I wasnt even aware that was an issue.

The world numbers are simply a fanbase problem, they don't even exist, so its not something the developers themselves should be concerned about.

But it always bugged me why did the fanbase pick the Valley of Defilement after the Shrine of Storms as it just doesn't make any sense.

It's not an actual issue, but it bothers me to this day xD

EnricoPallazzo said:
Man I cant wait to play it. Its the only souls game missing for me. I wonder if it is possible to connect the 5 areas somehow to give it a more modern fell, like bloodborne where the areas are separated but at the same time a lot of them are interconnected.

It's still my favorite from the sub genre it created.

I don't think they should connect the areas at all tho, first because that would make the Nexus kinda pointless, and second because they wouldn't make any sense being connected as they are distinct regions of the world and likely not close to each other at all.

For example the Boletaria was the last kingdom to fall to the colorless fog because of King Allant and the Valley of Defilement is where the unwanted are sent to suffer, so they should not be close from each other at all.

Another one, the giants of the north broke their own Archstone to prevent the demons reaching their palace, so if it was just connecte to the Shrine of Storms for example, they could easily invade there anyway.

I love how Dark Souls connected the areas but it just doesn't make any sense for Demon's Souls, neither logically or story-wise.