By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us 2 first game ever that got me tearing up

It's a very emotional, hard, touching story that will remain in your hearts for a long time.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

Interesting... The first game got me emotional in many places, but I can't say it made me cry. Thus far the second has a far more aggressive and even more depressing undertone to it. Love it

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

d21lewis said:
That doesn't sound like fun.

Well, entertaining doesn't always equal fun. While the gameplay is fun and satisfying in the game, the story is pretty damn bleak. It's on the opposite side of the entertainment spectrum when you compare it to Super Mario Odyssey or Ratchet and Clank

hunter_alien said:
d21lewis said:
That doesn't sound like fun.

Well, entertaining doesn't always equal fun. While the gameplay is fun and satisfying in the game, the story is pretty damn bleak. It's on the opposite side of the entertainment spectrum when you compare it to Super Mario Odyssey or Ratchet and Clank

I actually didn't read anything besides the title. I don't have a day off until Monday and I've avoided all spoilers, reviews, and even trailers for this game. I'm pretty excited to play it. I was just being cheeky!

Hiku said:

I moved some keywords into the spoiler tags, since they can cause people to expect something specific, whether right or wrong.
For example if you say a character's name and then follow it up with a spoiler tag, ppl may suspect the character to die, etc.
We have a spoiler discussion thread for this game btw. But if the focus here is games that make you cry, then that's fine.

There were a couple of scenes in Yakuza 0 that were pretty rough. Someone was definitely cutting onions in my room.
And the well known scene in the first TLOU at least got me misty eyed.

As for TLOU2, I didn't cry 

Spoiler!
during the first major tragic scene. It's because I felt like the way it was carried out was too rushed considering what happened, so I couldn't 'appreciate it' enough to get emotional in that way. Instead I felt angry at some characters. And I don't have a lot of faith in the writing now, but I'll see where it goes.

But I almost teared up a bit during some of the related follow up scenes.

The theme of the first game was Love, while Part 2’s is Hate.

The way I see it, what you felt was what ND wanted. Through their narrative mastery, they’re succeeding in making us feel that anger and hate. I’m still quite early in the game, but the way they’re building things up, from a storytelling point of view, I think the journey will be an emotionally exhausting one, more-so than the first game. Because hate and anger, and the desperation and sadness that often go hand in hand with those, are heavier feelings to carry over an extended period of time compared to love.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
hunter_alien said:

I actually didn't read anything besides the title. I don't have a day off until Monday and I've avoided all spoilers, reviews, and even trailers for this game. I'm pretty excited to play it. I was just being cheeky!

Good choice. This game is full of twists so it's pretty easy for spoilers to have a negative effect

The only game that makes me cry is Tetris when the long bar refuses to come up.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Vodacixi said:
No game has made me cry. Ever. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was close though...

I don't know if you're serious or not, but your pic together with whatever you said cracked me up. Thank you.

icykai said:
Vodacixi said:
No game has made me cry. Ever. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was close though...

I don't know if you're serious or not, but your pic together with whatever you said cracked me up. Thank you.

I was serious. But hey, I'm glad I made someone laugh xD

shikamaru317 said:
Vodacixi said:

I was serious. But hey, I'm glad I made someone laugh xD

I'm with you. I definitely teared up at 358/2 Days. 

Can't blame you. It's not just one moment or one character... Everyone ends the game in pure misery. Nobody gets to be happy... At least as far as that game is concearned.

Oh, I just remembered: I almost cried with Torna: The Golden Country too. For similar reasons...