5 5 13.16%

6 11 28.95%

7 1 2.63%

8 2 5.26%

9 5 13.16%

10 9 23.68%

Total:38
John2290 said:
I hope this game gets fast delivery on PS5 with a directors cut, I can really see thia working if the story was reordered. It wouldn't help some of the bad aspects but it would help a lot, there is a real problem in the way it's put together. It's the only way I can see this game rising over a 7 for me.

Something like realigning and remaking some sections as a GOTY edition taking in count the userbase complains?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
0D0 said:

The naive background is gone: The first game is a sort of a surviving mission built on a tragedy. Part 1 had a simple and even naive introduction and the only thing that grew out of that was combat and the relationship between the characters. That was the best thing that set that game apart in my opinion. How can you make a great story, a great script out of a simple background and a very conventional mission? They did it. Part I feels like a superb theatre performance.

Part II is more like current cinema though. The introduction now has romance, drama and small talk. It also has a song. The characters talk about dating, boyfriends, girlfriends, jealousy and even a

situation. The drama seems to be also in the teen drama side. As far as I could see, they're gone with older adults and that bothers me.

Script and conversation: The first game started in a serious tone, short dialogues, adult conversation. They focused on the mission. It was simpler and efficient. Part II starts romantic and on the teenager/young adult side of that. Characters are more relaxed than on the first game (of course, they have a community now) and that opens the game to small talk and what seems to be unimportant drama. Again the brilliance of the simple tone of the first game is gone. If the first game starts like "Lord of the Rings", this one is "Game of Thrones". If the first one starts like the first season of "Walking Dead", this one is "The 100" or any other fiction series for younger audiences. The same applies to family friendliness. The first as Lord of the Rings could be played with your grandma with you. The second game on the other hand has characters shouting "What the f***" to children. The script is vulgar, but like all Hollywood films and TV currently is and that's a bummer for me.

The thing I found is that the relaxed characters and behavior was a dead giveaway that something really bad was about to happen. To me, the first game set the tone for the world, so when it opened to small town relationships and small talk drama, I knew it was about to crumble. I even have it on stream where I stop for a second, and say something like,....."oooooh small town drama! Oh this is a bad sign, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in town dies" and then with the snowball fight, I was like, "oh this is some really dark foreshadowing". I feel that the more you  try and take the story at it's facevalue instead of comparing it to another story, you might come to notice things that are also just as cool, complex, and clever. 

DonFerrari said:
John2290 said:
I hope this game gets fast delivery on PS5 with a directors cut, I can really see thia working if the story was reordered. It wouldn't help some of the bad aspects but it would help a lot, there is a real problem in the way it's put together. It's the only way I can see this game rising over a 7 for me.

Something like realigning and remaking some sections as a GOTY edition taking in count the userbase complains?

Yeah you know like if they took eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, or memento, or pulp fiction and separated the stories and told them in order so that it was easier to understand. Or like this fixed version of starry night.

https://imgur.com/4TqQw

Last edited by theprof00 - on 24 June 2020

John2290 said:
theprof00 said:

I really don't see any of the problems you've mentioned in the story in any of your many posts about how it's confusing or stupid.  

I didn't say it was confusing, I said it was a mess, campy and weakly written and it's it's extremely badly paced which also effects progression on the game side. It's a slog and fails to go to any great heights, which I believe to be the intention and whilentrying to get there it obliterates sone characters... character. What it tries to evoke, it fails at almost every turn apart from a few gut punchers here and there but the intent of evoking emotions both good and bad is lost in how they have ordered and written it .

I don't remember saying it was stupid but yeah, there are plot holes and character motivationthat makes no sense from the first game , new characters are weak and never given a chance besides for Abby. 

I get what they were trying to do but they failed. 

Well I'm about 3-4 hours in, and so far it doesn't seem like anything you mentioned. I just got to the 'open world' section. Still, you did say a bunch of words, I just don't know if they are accurate or not without having seen example for myself. 

Can you describe what you believe to be 'what they were trying to do'?

John2290 said:
theprof00 said:

Well I'm about 3-4 hours in, and so far it doesn't seem like anything you mentioned. I just got to the 'open world' section. Still, you did say a bunch of words, I just don't know if they are accurate or not without having seen example for myself. 

Can you describe what you believe to be 'what they were trying to do'?

I won't be able to without spoiling it, Catch up and tag me later when you're half way or so, you'll know what I mean. 

Would you say then, that as far as the portion I've played, there are no examples of your critiques? That maybe the problems really only arise later on?

Around the Network
John2290 said:
DonFerrari said:

Exactly realigning sections, maybe take the second part of the story and weave it into the first, this would also effect the huge mistake in progression and get people invested in the characters a hell of a lot more. Maybe add some more back story and time with certain characters and develop them mote meaningfully and timely. Also, there are extended sections of the game thar could be cut entirely ans it would be better for it. 

I had no problem understand Abby actions in the start although I think she was a little cunning when luring (because I think she kinda recognized or at least expected to extract information even if needed to torture). And considering her "plan" to invade she seemed very imbecile. But I can totally see how giving her some background before that would help people to understand and like more. But when unaligned story telling is already a common tool I guess it is ok.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

John2290 said:
I made a comparison between MGS5 TPP, a game that has some of the best stealth scenarios in game if not thee absolute best. I have to revoke that after many more hours play, it was all an illusion and what is underneath the animations and sound bites is the same Ai from Tlou1 and the stealth is pretty weak, ontop of that if you get caught you either just run around to loose enemies which is easy and regain stealth, you can fo this one enemy at at a time or stand in one place and the whole monster box will decend on you slowly enough to kill everyone without damage if you have the bullets. The arrows from the scars is the only real game changer that isn't an illusion because of high polish , more pe alties like that would have been great.

Dude, relax, it's ok if you didnt like the game. Neil himself said people would going to love or hate, it would be a marmite game.

A lot of people didnt like the story as you can see in the two pools here in the website. Despite what people tell you, it's ok if you dont like it.

EnricoPallazzo said:
John2290 said:
I made a comparison between MGS5 TPP, a game that has some of the best stealth scenarios in game if not thee absolute best. I have to revoke that after many more hours play, it was all an illusion and what is underneath the animations and sound bites is the same Ai from Tlou1 and the stealth is pretty weak, ontop of that if you get caught you either just run around to loose enemies which is easy and regain stealth, you can fo this one enemy at at a time or stand in one place and the whole monster box will decend on you slowly enough to kill everyone without damage if you have the bullets. The arrows from the scars is the only real game changer that isn't an illusion because of high polish , more pe alties like that would have been great.

Dude, relax, it's ok if you didnt like the game. Neil himself said people would going to love or hate, it would be a marmite game.

A lot of people didnt like the story as you can see in the two pools here in the website. Despite what people tell you, it's ok if you dont like it.

If you read the thread majority of the ones that disliked the story didn't even play the game.

John2290 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

It's not a marmite game for me, it's very much inbetween. Why relax? I'm not worked up, this is a discussion thread after all? I like much of the game and dislike aspects, I'm not in the pool that goes "10  perfect game!!!!" Or " Zero, too much revenge". I'm currently hovering around a seven which on my scale is a solid game with problems, 5 being gmediocre. I like much of it. 

My apologies. It's because it seems like me you didnt like the story despite all the rest, maybe not combat, be a masterpiece, and people just do not accept that this story is not for everyone and you have a negative opinion on it. Sorry about that. By the way you grade is pretty close to mine, I would give this game a 7-8.

EnricoPallazzo said:
John2290 said:

It's not a marmite game for me, it's very much inbetween. Why relax? I'm not worked up, this is a discussion thread after all? I like much of the game and dislike aspects, I'm not in the pool that goes "10  perfect game!!!!" Or " Zero, too much revenge". I'm currently hovering around a seven which on my scale is a solid game with problems, 5 being gmediocre. I like much of it. 

My apologies. It's because it seems like me you didnt like the story despite all the rest, maybe not combat, be a masterpiece, and people just do not accept that this story is not for everyone and you have a negative opinion on it. Sorry about that. By the way you grade is pretty close to mine, I would give this game a 7-8.

I haven't seem you mention you played the game before this, your comments where from spoilers and YT.